ST-1300 Key Code

Bike
ST1300
I don't have an extra key for my ST1300 so I thought while I still could, that I would get the key code from the back of the gas tank cap and the saddlebags and I have a number but none of the local Honda dealers even know what to do with that code and they can only cut me a new key from the old one which is already a "re-key". Anybody have idea where I can get a new key by just giving them the key code? Thanks

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
When I bought my used ST1300, the second owner gave me a new un-used OEM key with an aluminum key code tag on it. I sent the tag number off to a locksmith online and had spare keys made from the code.
I'm just not sure if the key code on that tag is the same code that you found on the tumblers.
I'll have to check when I get home if they are.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I have a number but none of the local Honda dealers even know what to do with that code
+1 I ran into the same problem with two Honda dealers. They both suggested local locksmiths. But I also had a new keys so getting a copy cut was fairly easy. I wonder if a Honda car dealer could cut a key from the tag. I know in the past that many car dealers had that capability.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
This used to be easy to do, either with the lock # or key blank and existing key. I had to take my blank and only key to a certified locksmith after I acquired my 1991. In years past (since 1966 when I rebuilt my first bike) I always had this done at a local hardware store. Not even the local dealerships would make an attempt.

Wasn't a bad experience, though. Under five minutes and a total of $3.89 and I was all fixed up. Was expecting a bigger deal. The downside is that I had to ride several miles from my neighborhood to get to the locksmith's.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
The key code is 8 digits long. There are 3 cut depths. The deepest cut is a 3 and the ones have the least amount cut from the key are a 1. I had the bag and locking glove box keys cut from this key code and 2 ignition keys. All I did was provide them the cut codes and the locksmith cut the keys. This was done by a former member on here that also fit the key to the knobs to leave in your side bags if you so choose. The bags, glove box and gas cap ONLY NEED the first four cuts done to the key. That way they will not work the ignition.

The first cut is about .25" from the tip and then about .1" apart. One can determine your code from your key.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Not sure what Honda dealers use to cut the key, but the micrometer key machines that locksmiths use are very expensive - probably in the $1 to $2 thousand dollar range. These can be used to cut virtually any key once he knows the depths and spacing. Schlage and other manufacturer's (probably Honda, too) sell a nibbler - you insert a key blank, dial the depth with the machine set on position 1, and squeeze the handles (it looks like a pair of pliers on steroids). Advance to position 2, dial the depth, etc...
Years ago, the nibbler sold for $265 for Schlage (and I passed up buying it and have rued that day). Now the price is much much more and you have to have a locksmith's card to buy it*.

So, all this is to say that I would expect dealers to simply buy a copying key machine (new from $400 to $800 for a manual one) because they can cut (copy) virtually any key. The nibbler style can only cut keys that use the machines position and depth spacing.

*Grin, you can probably buy it on line for half as much.

Top Bottom