Issues while riding a constant speed

Bike
ST1300
Hey guys,

My ST1300 is a great bike and I have loved riding it every second.
Sometimes however when I am on the highway (It's becoming more frequent now too), the bike will lose power, a decrease of about 300-500RPM.
It can be hard to notice but you can feel the bike slow down just a tad.
Then when I try to accelerate again the bike won't do anything, until I move the throttle about 1/4 turn and then it jerks forward jumping up by 1000-1500RPM.

I have installed new Spark Plugs and a new Battery. This will only happen at around 3000 RPM if the bike is kept there for a little bit.
If I drive in a lower gear and have it reving higher it won't do it.

The dealership told me that they have had issues of ST's and Goldwings brakes seizing up and that causing the bike to slow down, which would explain the slowing down part.
But why would I have to turn my throttle this far to get power to my back wheel again.
Everyone I have talked to doesn't know any more beyond what I have already done.

I will be getting the brakes done over the winter, but I am very highly doubting that that is the actual issue that I am experiencing.

Thanks for your help already.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Didn't some models of 1300 have a herky jerky problem with the EFI system that needed a fix to the fuel mapping programme? Sounds like your dealer is fishing in the dark.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Could be a fuel pump that is starting to fail, or a plugged up 5-way T under the fuel tank. Start with the T plugged first.

Bike
KTM Adv 1190 R
My guess if it's a high miler, from your explanation a linkage, throttle plate or something that has worn in the fueling of the bike into a worn in comfort zone and then requires a snappy response to resume properly... or dirt...

Brakes wouldn't do what you've explained...

Good luck - post your findings...

Cheers

OP
OP
wolfi2142
Bike
ST1300
Thanks for the answers guys, I will take the bike apart and check for the fuel lines and see what is going on. There are currently 76,000km on the bike, so it's not crazy high for mileage.
I will also check about the EFI issue named above. I'll let you all know what I find.

Thanks for the quick responses and the help again. Really appreciated.

IBG

Bike
st1300
Hi
I had a similar proble so I fitted the Ivans Fuel Cut Eliminator - this cured the problem and the low speed jerkiness.
Hope this helps
Ian

OP
OP
wolfi2142
Bike
ST1300
Hey guys,

It has been a while since I posted on here, and I am unfortunately still having the same issue. I checked into the Ivans FCE, but the product has been discontinued. I have since also checked my 5-way T, the air filter and all hoses, brand new spark plugs and have checked the MAP sensor. Everything seems to be fine, the 5 way T had no bloackages in it or anything. All that is left that I can imagine is the injection, that for some reason at certain RPM's the engine is not getting as much fuel as it needs to sustain the current RPM. I did try a fuel additive called Seafoam, which was highly recommended across the web to clean the fuel injectors but that didn't seem to change anything either. The bike is now at 84,000km, so not crazy on mileage. Everything else seems to be working great, that is the only issue I am having. Even local mechanics have not been able to figure out what the issue was, though I have never left it at a shop for the day yet, merely talked to a few that I know.
Any input you guys may have would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Byron

STOC #
Since this is at freeway speeds maybe the fuel filter in the lower tank is clogging.

OP
OP
wolfi2142
Bike
ST1300
Thanks Byron, I will check into that and probably replace it. I really want to get this figured out, since it's an amazing bike, but that issue is just driving me insane.

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
Is there any bluing of your exhaust pipes around the area of the catalytic converter? If so, and limited to one side of pipes, check your connections to your coil on that side.

If this were my bike I would order an inexpensive fuel pump off of eBay and change it. I've had pretty good luck with the one I got from HighFlow...

Bike
'14 CTX1300
STOC #
Got the same issue on my '07. Happens in the 3800-4200 rpm range. Interested to see if any new thoughts come up.

Bike
2007 ST1300 ABS
I had something similar happen with my 07 last month. But it seemed to be heat related - only happened when over 95ish degF. Under 90F, things were fine. It also seemed to be rev-related. If I rode faster, the bike ran better. And it always started and idled just fine. I only noticed it at around 60mph in top gear. The truly bad thing for me was that it happened when I was 2000 miles from home (Idaho). I ended up riding at night to get home. BTW, the bike had about 111K miles when it happened.

When I got home, I found other people on the website mention the same symptoms and changing the fuel pump was their solution. I bought an aftermarket unit from Quantum Fuel Systems for $70 (Google's your friend). I replaced the pump and the filter and the whole operation was very easy. I bought no other parts (gasket, washers, etc). Unfortunately, I probably won't know for a while if I fixed the problem. It rarely gets that hot in northeast Ohio. Rode in 90ish temps yesterday with no problems.

Good luck.

OP
OP
wolfi2142
Bike
ST1300
I was finally super fed up with all this that I went to the local Honda dealer, put it in their lot, gave them the key and told them to get back to me when they have it fixed.
They checked absolutely everything and even called Tech line, and no one could come up with anything.
They then tried a few more things and checked at the ECU. The owner before me must have wired the Ivans Fuel Cut Eliminator into the ECU wiring.
The unit itself had water in it and was probably shorting out, which was ultimately the issue we are assuming.
I just picked the bike up and have not had time to get her onto the highway and see whether it is resolved now.
The few km's that I drove with it thus far, the bike seemed a lot more responsive and a lot more fun to drive. Not sure why anyone would wire that into the bike to be honest.

The RPM drops seemed to be happening between 3000-4500 RPM. Anything above or below was safe from the drops, that's why I was usually speeding or driving too slow, because my ST does 110 at 3500 RPM.
Thanks for all your help. I will report whether the issue is actually gone now, just thought that it was interesting that the Fuel Cut Eliminator was offered as a solution to the problem above, and it turned out to be the issue.

Bike
'14 CTX1300
STOC #
I was finally super fed up with all this that I went to the local Honda dealer, put it in their lot, gave them the key and told them to get back to me when they have it fixed.
They checked absolutely everything and even called Tech line, and no one could come up with anything.
They then tried a few more things and checked at the ECU. The owner before me must have wired the Ivans Fuel Cut Eliminator into the ECU wiring.
The unit itself had water in it and was probably shorting out, which was ultimately the issue we are assuming.
I just picked the bike up and have not had time to get her onto the highway and see whether it is resolved now.
The few km's that I drove with it thus far, the bike seemed a lot more responsive and a lot more fun to drive. Not sure why anyone would wire that into the bike to be honest.

The RPM drops seemed to be happening between 3000-4500 RPM. Anything above or below was safe from the drops, that's why I was usually speeding or driving too slow, because my ST does 110 at 3500 RPM.
Thanks for all your help. I will report whether the issue is actually gone now, just thought that it was interesting that the Fuel Cut Eliminator was offered as a solution to the problem above, and it turned out to be the issue.
Thanks for the info... Now that I am back from WeSTOC I'll be digging into this on my bike. I did notice that at higher elevation the problem was significantly worse. It happened much more often and through a greater RPM range. Look forward to progress reporting to see if yours is a permanent fix.

Bike
'08 ST1300ABS
STOC #
The 5-way Tee is a good bet, but it is a royal PITA to access. I went in there and changed every tee, hose clamps, balanced throttle body idle air, etc. Hope it isn't necessary again for a long time. I'd be inclined to check fuel filter or maybe fuel pump. I think a Honda Civic fuel pump is equivalent and cheaper if a change is needed. Brake drag via ABS is unlikely to just be a "little bit." I have heard of that, but it is sort of a full on look up the rear wheel kind of thing. I think the brake thing is unlikely. I am more inclined to think something in the fuel system (ECU, pump, filter, clogged fuel tank vent maybe??)

Top Bottom