I sold her

Bike
Well, after much thought Imade the agonizing decision to part with my ST. It was largely based on back issues which led me to look for something lighter. It took a while to settle on a replacement because I wanted every alternative to feel like the ST. A hard bike to match. In the end I stayed with mother Honda and picked up a 2012 CBF1000FA. I don't think they were ever introduced to the US market and even here in Canada they aren't all that common. It's over 200 lbs lighter with an inline 4 cylinder. Probably the smoothest motor I've ever ridden. Very torquey. Doesn't compare with all the creature comforts of the ST but with a very few mods it should be a very capable tourer. For those looking for an alternative or excellent second bike, have a look. Finally, I want to say that I have no intention of abandoning this forum it's just the best!

Bruce

Bike
Vstrom 650
Cbf 1000 is a very popular bike in Europe, detuned fireblade engine in a sports touring style frame,keep an eye on the charging system and the cam chain tensioners,cbf1000.com is a great forum too.

Bike
st1300 vfr800
I kinda feel your pain just sold my 5th gen VFR yesterday and was sad to see it go . Now time to go shopping for a new replacement .

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
An excellent choice. We actually road tested one last year as I was feeling the ST to be a bit too heavy for my problem shoulders. In the end we stayed with the Pan for my wife's comfort as permanent pillion.

I would echo the warning re charging system, a well known Honda issue with this bike, and as stated the cam chain tensioner. The drive chain would also benefit from a Scottoiler to keep it in top condition.

Unfortunately the CBF1000 is now out of production due to emission regulations, which is a real shame for such a beautiful smooth machine.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Beautiful bike. it sounds exactly like what a lot of us older guys have been looking for. But, I'm not going to hold my breath for Honda to resume production and bring them to the US. It seems like they have abandoned the sport touring market.

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
During the many years that my garage kept a fleet of Honda motorcycles, I would have absolutely had one of those, had they been available to us.

Congrats on yours. :hat1:

OP
OP
Bike
This is a stock photo of the new bike. She's currently tucked away for winter. I've added new Givi V35 bags in black which look quite at home

Attachments

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
Change the regulator out for a Yamaha R1 unit, 2008 & newer and you won't have any more worries about it failing. Eastern Beaver sells the parts to change it over. I have those on three bikes now and am doing one for another guy.

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
I seem to remember that the suspension may benefit from suspension upgrade if you're adding panniers and a passenger. My wife really liked this bike when we were testing ST replacements, so it's on our shortlist as well, although it'll only be for short trips as we've decided on an automatic Mazda MX5 for our longer excursions.... the downside of age and infirmity!

Top Bottom