FI light comes on. Should I be concerned.

Not sure where to post this question but I could be riding my '04 st1300 and maybe about an hour or 2 I'll get the FI light come on and stays on until I shut the key off then I can restart and all is fine, no light.
it seems that it may come on at higher highway speed. I mean I can drive and hour or 2 then get to the highway and I'm going 70-80 mph and usually about 15 minutes later it will come on
The bike runs fine without any hesitation or stutter or loss of power.
whenever it comes on I don't panic but has anyone had the same issues? Could It be a simple fix?
Is it perhaps air filter related? Gas? ( I use the 92 octane) valve related. I know it could be a lot of things but will never know since I can't bring it to my local mechanic and have him read the code? If that's even possible.

Can I try anything for starters ?

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
With the key on, engine stopped, put the side stand down when the FI light illuminates. The FI light should blink out the error code(s). Carefully write down the number of long and short flashes in the exact sequence they appear. Post that back here and someone with a shop manual can look up the code for you. Beats guessing.

-Jeff

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I think the FI light will go out as soon as you shut off the engine with the engine stop switch - it will go off for sure if you turn the ignition switch off and back on again. Try lowering the sides stand with the bike stopped, engine running and in neutral, if that doesn't do it, lower the side stand with it in gear, clutch disengaged while the FI is lit.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
it seems that it may come on at higher highway speed. I mean I can drive and hour or 2 then get to the highway and I'm going 70-80 mph and usually about 15 minutes later it will come on
My money is on one of the knock sensors not working because the ECM doesn't complain about them at low (engine) speed. Early copies of the 1300 are known to have problems where the wiring isn't routed correctly and is damaged by heat from the exhaust.

Fortunately, ther's no need to speculate. Follow Jeff's instructions and get the code out of the ECM next time it happens. (No need to panic, either. Most of the things the ECM complains about are things it can operate without. There are a few failures it can't deal with, and you'll know if you hit one of those because the engine will stop.)

--Mark

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
Quite a few posts about it in the past. Most likely knock sensor warning, which will either be bad wiring/connections, or bad ECM. 50/50 chance.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I think the FI light will go out as soon as you shut off the engine with the engine stop switch - it will go off for sure if you turn the ignition switch off and back on again. Try lowering the sides stand with the bike stopped, engine running and in neutral, if that doesn't do it, lower the side stand with it in gear, clutch disengaged while the FI is lit.
If for some reason the FI light can't be made to blink by the method I or others describe. The service manual describes how to recover the codes by shorting some leads (forget which colors and don't want to error here) in the diagnostic connector under the passenger seat. There is a procedure using that connector to clear the codes.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
You need to put the side stand down with the bike in neutral, engine running - don't shut the engine off before you put the side stand down, or you won't get the code when the engine is re-started.

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
If for some reason the FI light can't be made to blink by the method I or others describe. The service manual describes how to recover the codes by shorting some leads (forget which colors and don't want to error here) in the diagnostic connector under the passenger seat. There is a procedure using that connector to clear the codes.
That's here: http://stwiki.notonthe.net/twiki/bin/view/ST13/ECMQuickGuide

Also, I wrote up a list of the fault codes: http://stwiki.notonthe.net/twiki/bin/view/ST13/ECMFaultCodes

--Mark

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Can I try anything for starters ?
I don't know why no one has posted this reply yet, but the first thing you need to do for starters is to obtain the Honda Service Manual specific to your model ST1300. In spite of a few errors scattered throughout the manual, it's the best tool you can get to service and maintain your ST.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Have any of you guys ever seen a coolant leak cause this problem ??
Can a coolant leak get down on the sensor and cause it to go out or the wiring to get bad??
Getting a 26 code, and i do have some seepage going on (very few to no drips, but i can smell it)

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Getting a 26 code, and i do have some seepage going on (very few to no drips, but i can smell it)
26 is one of the knock sensors. Probably not related since there's really no way for leaked coolant to get anywhere near there or the wiring without a hole in the crankcase.

You probably have the typical loose hose clamp problem that crops up in the winter.

--Mark

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
26 is one of the knock sensors. Probably not related since there's really no way for leaked coolant to get anywhere near there or the wiring without a hole in the crankcase.

You probably have the typical loose hose clamp problem that crops up in the winter.

--Mark
Thanks Mark !

Bike
2004 st1300
2004 must have been the year of the knock sensor,I am trying to sort out the same problem on my 2004 ST. Code 26 indicates right sensor and then the wiring diagram calls them 1 and 2,number 1 has the same color wire as my left knock and 2 the same as my right sensor so I assume 1 and left are the same,and that 2 and right are the same .I changed the sensor itself and the symptoms remain the same,3900 rpm for 10 seconds will trip the code light. The manual is not extremely helpful in that it does not say exactly what the ecm is looking for,I'm guessing the sensor starts to develop a signal of sorts around that rpm,I did check for continuity from the sensor to the ecm but probably not correctly,I was working alone and set my meter for continuity test and heard a tone and assumed it was good(guess I should know what happens when we assume things right?) so now I need to go back and with an assistant find out exactly how many ohms of resistance is there,I should think 0 or very close to it is critical.Some people have had obvious signs of heat damage at their connectors,mine however looks pristine,hopefully I can dig into it soon and find out if its wiring or the ecm, I also checked to make sure the wire does not have any continuity to ground,that would be bad for sure. If anyone who has had to replace the ecm to fix this issue reads this,please let us know if it's a long term fix or if we will be eating computers at 800 bucks a pop,if it will run another 53k before it happens again I can live with that. Best of luck,when I sort mine I'll let you know more,please do the same.

Last edited:
Bike
2004 st1300
Well I had my lovely assistant help me out today,on my bike the code was 25 which indicates left knock sensor,on the left you can access the sensor just by removing the lower black fairing bit,then I had to remove the rear cowl to access ecm. Turns out I have very little resistance on that wire,like 0.2 ohms,I kinda was hoping otherwise because it is pointing me toward an ecm problem. If the code is 26 it's the right sensor,I'm quite sure you have to pull the whole fairing on the right to get to the knock sensor and the rear cowl to get to the ecm,the blue and red wire for the left is the fifth pin in from the right on the bottom of the gray connector,the black wire for the right side knock sensor is fifth from right at the top.

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
Fi light comes on at high speed
Welcome to the Forum. The FI ECU can flash codes on the FI light. If you will start a new thread many knowledgeable fellows will be along to help shortly. This is an old thread and may not be the exact same issue.

Chuck

Last edited:
Bike
St1300 non abs 2003
Welcome to the Forum. The FI ECU can flash codes on the FI light. If you will start a new thread many knowledgeable fellows will be along to help shortly. This is an old thread and may not be the exact same issue.

Chuck
thank you Chuck Fl comes on at 80mph or about does not seem to have any affect on bike yet once I stop and kill red switch it off until next time seems to b when you get up in speed it comes on anyone have similar issues

Top Bottom