Front tire cupping? Or just high mileage?

Bike
'91 ST1100
IMG_7657.JPG

It has what looks like a flat spot in the middle.
I'm 6'-2", 200 lbs. I ride pretty aggressively, jack rabbit starts, late braking, throw it into turns, etc.
The suspension is stock I believe. Is this just high mileage, cupping, do I need to upgrade my springs, or all of the above?

Bridgestone BT023 with around 6000 miles. Maybe that just answered the question, didn't realize I've ridden over 6000 miles since I got the bike!
How long should a BT023 last?

Thanks,
Thomas

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Dunno if a BT023 is the right choice for letting her rip...

Here's how I wrecked a Dunlop D208ST in Sardinia; I'm back to G547/548 after that brief episode...

Attachments

Ashley

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Africa Twin
STOC #
I used to have cupping issues on various brands of tires on my ST1100 until I started running 42 PSI front and rear. Cupping all gone and handles fine.

Bike
R1200rt
had a bt023 that got all cupped in 6000 mi. I now have a Exedra Max 130/70ZR 18 that works great. Over 7k still has plenty of life left, no cupping, good grip wet and dry.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I did a bunch of reading on cupping,, which is often more noticeable on the front tire. One manufacturer opined that all treaded tires will cup to some degree,, as it is a result of having a tread pattern, which creates pressure fluctuations as each tread block rolls through the contact patch. Slick tires would be less prone to cupping as pressure is more constant. Optimum pressures (you have to figure out what that is) will help stave cupping off,,, but it is only one of several factors. I notice I have cupping on all three bikes now,, and the each have been run right on the manufacturers recommended air pressure. Cat'

Bike
R1200rt
I did a bunch of reading on cupping,, which is often more noticeable on the front tire. One manufacturer opined that all treaded tires will cup to some degree,, as it is a result of having a tread pattern, which creates pressure fluctuations as each tread block rolls through the contact patch. Slick tires would be less prone to cupping as pressure is more constant. Optimum pressures (you have to figure out what that is) will help stave cupping off,,, but it is only one of several factors. I notice I have cupping on all three bikes now,, and the each have been run right on the manufacturers recommended air pressure. Cat'
most of it is tire design , car tires are the same and that is why tires are rotated so to eliminate cupping. Tires with more groves are prone to cup more. Don't loose any sleep over it!!

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
I've been running 37 front and 42 rear. Is that what you used to run when the tire cupped?
I mostly run 38 front 42 rear minimal cupping. I like the solid feel of more pressure in the front but feel it will wash out in corners more easily and give a harsher ride on the Highway.

At 6000 I think you are doing fine on that tire from what I see. I currently have a T30 front which is the BT023 replacement. It is a single compound instead of a dual compound tire. I don't recall if the 023 front was dual or not but they sometimes develop a pronounced step at the compound edge, Anyway T30, good tire I would recommend when the time comes.

Also... How accurate is the gauge you are using? I once had one that read 10psi high, I couldn't figure out why I was sliding around corners.

Regarding new front springs, Having gone to Race Pro 1Kg. as recommended by their site and finding that ridiculously stiff I dropped to .85Kg which was better.
Having said that if I were you I would try adding an inch or more to your fork preload if you want a stiffer front instead of buying new springs. At the same time you could change the oil and maybe service the Forks.

Last edited:
Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
had a bt023 that got all cupped in 6000 mi. I now have a Exedra Max 130/70ZR 18 that works great. Over 7k still has plenty of life left, no cupping, good grip wet and dry.
+1 . Same experience with Exedra Max 120/70-18 after the 023 cupped badly. On my second Exedra Max now w/o any cupping. I run 39 psi .

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Increase the front tire pressure and try that first. If there is only marginal improvement, you might want to address the front forks. Do you know if the springs were ever changed, or the fluid replaced? Suspension components wear out and need regular maintenance like many other things. Have you ever seen a car tire cupped severely because the shock on that wheel was worn out and allowed the tire to dribble like a basket ball? Well the same thing happens with a M/C tire if the suspension is weak.

Bike
1990 Yamaha XTZ750
Heavy bike + (heavy-ish?) rider + <40psi front tire = cupping (I experience a lot less of it since increasing front pressure).
Als look into suspension as someone else suggested - which reminds me, I really should replace the fork oil on mine

Top Bottom