S.M.C. Questions

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
There was also a thread on on member using a wedge to stop the smc moving... don't know how it worked out.

IMO, there are smarter people than I that designed it, I'd just pull it and replace the unit if a problem ( as a whole ).

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
I don't think you can get all the caliper pistons to engage if the SMC is disabled or eliminated....reduced braking capability in other words.......ff

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I don't think you can get all the caliper pistons to engage if the SMC is disabled or eliminated....reduced braking capability in other words.......ff
That is correct. Either one or two of the three rear caliper pistons is/are actuated by the SMC, the remaining piston(s) actuated by the rear brake pedal. I can't remember how many, would have to look it up. The big question I have is why anyone would want to mess around with trying to revise the linked brake system in the first place?

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The big question I have is why anyone would want to mess around with trying to revise the linked brake system in the first place?
I think the big answer is- to remove a potential point of failure that isn't present in most other brake systems while regaining individual control for applying front and rear brakes independently. There are a lot of riders who dislike the Honda's LBS. But that answer presupposes that the bike can be stopped faster and safer without LBS making the SMC.unnecessary.

The ST is the first LBS bike I've ever owned AFAIK. I always thought it was for people who were scared of the front brake which is the only one I ever used 98% of the time. The rear brake was just to anchor a stationary bike.

I believe the LBS has great value particularly in a big heavy bike. Getting rid of a part that needs some attention on a regular (though not frequent) basis that can leave you stranded has merit. Unfortunately it breaks the brakes and is a step backwards. It's akin to getting rid of a power brake booster and related parts because of the "old man" axiom "there's less to go wrong" and the corollary "it's one more thing you have to fix." Now I don't know the OP's reasoning but maybe I'm not too far off base.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I think the big answer is- to remove a potential point of failure...
...and potentially introduce new ones by making the system operate in ways that were never intended or tested. I doubt de-linking an ST would cause a failure, but I also don't think the brake behavior would be ideal, either. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but my ST isn't Guinea pigging that one. :)

There are a lot of riders who dislike the Honda's LBS. But that answer presupposes that the bike can be stopped faster and safer without LBS making the SMC.unnecessary.
Or you can keep the LBS and do it all electronically, which is what you're going to find on a lot more bikes in the future: CLICKY. I think this is a good thing because the suspension can be tuned without making braking-related compromises and the differences made up for by the computer only during braking. They seem to have come up with a system that will survive a failure, which puts my one objection to rest.

It's akin to getting rid of a power brake booster and related parts because of the "old man" axiom "there's less to go wrong" and the corollary "it's one more thing you have to fix."
That mentality comes from thinking everything's still as primitive and horrible as it was "back in my day," completely ignoring the anti-corollary, "things have improved so much that they aren't going to break."

I remember buying my first car with a Tiptronic-style transmission and getting a lot of the same thing from some people. Of course, I also got a lot of blank stares in return when I asked if they understood that automatic transmissions are electronically-controlled and the only new thing added was extra switch contacts to tell the computer it's in manual mode and when to shift up and down.

--Mark

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I infer from the OP's post an unfamiliarity with the LBS and its benefits so the question strikes me as reasonable and deserving of a reasonable answer which to me means a brief background of LBS.

Given the "KISS" and "If It Ain't Broke..." mentality and the number of threads about SMC maintenance and failure I'm a little surprised there aren't more questions on removing it.

I doubt de-linking an ST would cause a failure, but I also don't think the brake behavior would be ideal, either.
I tend to agree. Done properly I'd say the result would be notably trouble free just like "back in the old days" of no LBS. Having never seen any testing on Honda's LBS I take it on faith that it generally improves braking at least for most of us. Cost alone would stop me from delinking the brakes.

Or you can keep the LBS and do it all electronically, which is what you're going to find on a lot more bikes in the future
Oh great. Another black box to be removed and replaced instead of repaired. At least the SMC could be maintained by the user.

:rofl1:

Top Bottom