Motorcyclists '23% better' behind the wheel of a car

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Thanks, Afan. I suspected this long ago because my biker friends hardly ever have car crashes...certainly less so than those accustomed to playing with electrons while driving.
Could it be that the 23% statistics represent the survival of the fittest of us? Those unable to multi-task and concentrate while driving usually shake out pretty quickly (dead, painful injury, 'emotional trauma', etc.) and no longer ride?

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
I drive a car the same way I drive a M/c, Scan, Predict and Act (SPA).

Same thing as "SEE": Search, Evaluate, Execute

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...as its written there: we all knew it for years... :cool:

The actual percentage is way higher, as this statistics only handled insurance claim files...
(...wonder if I should claim a discount on the car policy for being a rider ;-) )

Avtrician

Its not so much that we make better drivers ( though its true that we are :) ) , its that we just dont drive a car as much..

Too busy riding the bike.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Good point Martin, they wouldn't be long charging us more if it was the other way round.
Yeah, but they all are lobbying hard to nurture and the maintain public view about the "outlaw/racing/crashing/lethal motorcyclists"...

Already in riding school as well as in every MSL they tell us that technically even the average, weekend rider is way superior any average card river...
Be that in knowledge about vehicle and handling, or in driving skills and attitude...

I mean how often would you see a motorcyclist running on a fully flat tire, completely worn down brakes, not working lights, etc...

Bike
2006 ST1300
I've always thought that it should mandatory that you first ride a bike for say a year before allowed a car. I think there would be 75% less wrecks and dumb stuff out there.

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
I think it has to do with the fact that we practice defensive driving much more that than non-motorcyclists.

I think it has to do with the fact that we practice defensive driving much more that than non-motorcyclists.
:plus1: SEE, SPA whatever you call it, motorcyclists practice a higher attention level, that carries into their cages.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Maybe because, contrary to being enclosed inside a comfy metal coffin, surrounded by a committee of electronic gizmos, second guessing, balloting and correcting every input, hitting something while riding a motorcycle actually tends to hurt... :lol:

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Another angle on this... most of us ride for pleasure, so when we are forced to take a cage, it's usually a necessity and mission oriented. Non riders try to get their kicks in cages... just saying!

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
I drive a car the same way I drive a M/c, Scan, Predict and Act (SPA).

Same thing as "SEE": Search, Evaluate, Execute
as a very young man learned to fly planes, my instructor drove it in always think of options and awareness, on the road no different on the bike drive as if unseen from all angles. Good string here and reminder

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
YEP.
I think all riders really know this to be true. Even some other intelligent drivers know this... wait, that is probably 'cuz they are also riders! :grin:

Top Bottom