Knock Knock on clutch? loud!

Bike
03 ST1300
Hello Friends, im very happy with my 03 ST1300 but on neutral i hear a knock knock noise, like a bad bearing, as soon i pull the clutch it disappears, BUT the bad thing is the loud noise when im in a stop, engage first gear and then as soon i rev up to start moving i can hear a loud noise in front of the engine, it just happens at low rpm (below 2000) on any gear but most noticeable of course on first gear, i have little experience with Hondas, can this be the clutch bearing? Any help will be greatly appreciated.:confused:

thanks

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
You have two things going:

ST1300 but on neutral i hear a knock knock noise, like a bad bearing, as soon i pull the clutch it disappears,
If it sounds like thunk-a thunk-a thunk-a, it's normal. The 1300's clutch basket is noisy when it's connected to the transmission and there's no load on it (i.e., it's in neutral).

...engage first gear and then as soon i rev up to start moving i can hear a loud noise in front of the engine, it just happens at low rpm (below 2000) on any gear but most noticeable of course on first gear
You're lugging the engine, which is not something you should continue doing. Make liberal use of the friction zone and get the RPMs up quickly. If any of your prior riding time was on a V-twin cruiser, you'll find that the torque in the ST is higher up in the rev band and that it doesn't like being run slow. The only thing your engine should be doing below 2000 RPM is idling.

--Mark

OP
OP
Bike
03 ST1300
You have two things going:

If it sounds like thunk-a thunk-a thunk-a, it's normal. The 1300's clutch basket is noisy when it's connected to the transmission and there's no load on it (i.e., it's in neutral).

You're lugging the engine, which is not something you should continue doing. Make liberal use of the friction zone and get the RPMs up quickly. If any of your prior riding time was on a V-twin cruiser, you'll find that the torque in the ST is higher up in the rev band and that it doesn't like being run slow. The only thing your engine should be doing below 2000 RPM is idling.

--Mark
Thanks Mark, Im sorry yes... I has been riding Harleys for many years (still do).... :eek::.. i'll try to be more aggressive with the rpm, may be is just that. :D

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Thanks Mark, Im sorry yes... I has been riding Harleys for many years (still do)....
Yep, that'll do it.

Here's some additional reading material for you: CLICKY and CLICKY. You'll probably find the comparison in the second one useful if you're coming from a cruiser.

--Mark

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
Great info Mark. When I first got my 04 that thump-thump-thump at idle also gave be concern until I found the info on this site that it's normal.

I would say the sound when the motor is lugged down is like an engine knock, and very well could be.

Top Bottom