Peculiar wiring problem

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Ta Dah !!!!

Congrats on a job well done. These ST1100's are fairly easy to work on and most jobs can be done even if you don't have a bunch of experience.

And Ya, these bikes have been around for awhile and there is a wealth of knowledge on this Forum.

Next up might be a timing belt and water pump change !!

But I still would like to know what the number on those diodes is.

OP
OP
The timing belt was done relatively recently by a previous owner who kindly responded to a letter which I sent having seen his address on an invoice. At the same time he replaced the clutch plates. Fingers crossed on the water pump. The diodes were those that you recommended - IN4004 - which I bought ex-stock from Maplin (similar to Radio Shack). The weather here in the south west of England is pretty grotty at the moment, and I am itching just to get out for a quick blast now that I've cured the neutral light glitch. I'm at work for the day on Monday in Cornwall, so unless it's cold as well as wet I'll probably wait until then. The next one to solve is the aftermarket voltmeter which suddenly gave up the ghost. Where do you suggest I start with that one?

Kind regards,

Jeremy

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
I would spend about $20 on a decent digital meter. They all should have a diode check range. Try to find one with a 20 Amp range too - you never know when a higher Amp range might be needed. Check Amazon.

EDIT : I checked Amazon and I saw a decent larger DVM for under $20 that has a 20 Amp current range and also measures transistor hfe and capacitance, too. I ordered one for myself, BTW. Looks like the cheaper DVM's only have a 10 Amp range.

Good to hear you used the 1N4004 diodes. They should prove to be reliable.

Last edited:
Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
Just happened to be scrolling through this and saw the pic of the diode. Hmmmmm? looks a lot like the diode you find in late 90's Ford fuse blocks under the hood. They can be had for the sum of, well, whatever it costs you to walk into the local pull and pay. I've probably got several in the shop if someone wants to experiment, I'll mail it to ya. Ping me.

Top Bottom