Front Michelin PR4 air leak, maybe?

Bike
2010 ST1300
My front tire is consistently losing pressure. I sprayed down the schrader valve, sidewall/bead, and the full tread with soapy water. I didn't see any bubbles. I didn't experience this last winter with the Bridgestone Battleaxes. I have checked and been as much as 10psi low a day or two after refilling. Do any of you experience the same because of the cold? Tire held pressure just fine over the summer.

Bike
2010 ST1300
You must have a small leak. Can you find a container so you can immerse the lower part of the tire in water like they do at garage's for cars? Or go back to spraying lots of soapy water.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Cj, what you describe is a leak. Cold only reduces pressure by a few psi, once (it doesn't keep dropping pressure just because it's cold, unless it is leaking).

+1 to setting the bottom arc of tire & rim in a large tub of water, periodically rotating it (let it sit for 10+ minutes each time) and watching for bubbles.

OP
OP
cjames431
Bike
2010 ST1300
Found the leak today. Pulled a .25 long piece of metal tire belt I think. Put in a plug and started to ride to work. Plug came out about 4 miles from home. Replugged rode it home and took the excursion to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I don't know. It was a little unnerving to suddenly realize I couldn't counter steer at 70mph because the front was flat.:eek:
Been there, done that. You know the faster you go the better it is......tire stays slung out to full size. ;-)

t

OP
OP
cjames431
Bike
2010 ST1300
I had been doing 75 and slowed down because it didn't feel quite right. Not sure if I trimmed the first plug to short. I may try riding her in tomorrow

OP
OP
cjames431
Bike
2010 ST1300
I haven't ridden yet. I work 2nd shift so will keep y'all posted.
Jonz what patches do you use on the inside?

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
I haven't ridden yet. I work 2nd shift so will keep y'all posted.
Jonz what patches do you use on the inside?

I don't know a brand. I've seen flat patches and flat patches with a long nipple that gets inserted in the hole. I've had moto tires (and tubes) patched in Mexico - I don't know if companies in the US will patch moto tires.

OP
OP
cjames431
Bike
2010 ST1300
I don't know a brand. I've seen flat patches and flat patches with a long nipple that gets inserted in the hole. I've had moto tires (and tubes) patched in Mexico - I don't know if companies in the US will patch moto tires.
I did some hunting on the web for vulcanizing patches. Guys I work with remember using a c clamp contraption and lighting the patch on fire. Apparently the epa outlawed their use in this country.
The local stealer will remount tires that the customer has patched but won't do the patching and don't offer a patch kit.
Thanks

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
I just replaced a tire that I plugged on a trip . I hated to replace it but it started to get a leak that was getting worse. The tire only had 3k on it when I picked up a drywall screw. I ran the plug until 7k. So when I pulled the old tire off to replace it I found a surprise . Another drywall screw that was just sticking into the inside . The screw broke off on the outside below the surface and could not be seen from the outside . It was only 3 inch from the other drywall screw and did not leak when the first plug was put in . I guess running it another 4k miles pushed it into the tire a little more . The plug and go worked pretty good with the first plug. I really did not want to be running on one plug and surely not on two . But I wanted to know if the plug system did actually work and for how long .

OP
OP
cjames431
Bike
2010 ST1300
I just replaced a tire that I plugged on a trip . I hated to replace it but it started to get a leak that was getting worse. The tire only had 3k on it when I picked up a drywall screw. I ran the plug until 7k. So when I pulled the old tire off to replace it I found a surprise . Another drywall screw that was just sticking into the inside . The screw broke off on the outside below the surface and could not be seen from the outside . It was only 3 inch from the other drywall screw and did not leak when the first plug was put in . I guess running it another 4k miles pushed it into the tire a little more . The plug and go worked pretty good with the first plug. I really did not want to be running on one plug and surely not on two . But I wanted to know if the plug system did actually work and for how long .
Thanks for the info Paul. I have 10k on the front tire so I want to run it till it's bald if possible. I had to replace the rear due to a puncture that wouldn't seal and it only had about 8k on it.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I did some hunting on the web for vulcanizing patches. Guys I work with remember using a c clamp contraption and lighting the patch on fire. Apparently the epa outlawed their use in this country.
I used those in the 70's and 80's to patch many motorcycle tubes...they were called "sizzle patches". They worked great since the heat vulcanized the rubber patch into the tube. :yes: I haven't seen those kits lately. But I have bought and used tube repair patches/cement ('Slime' brand at Walmart IIRC) and used those on the inside surface of motorcycle tires. They'll do the job.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Top Bottom