Saying goodbye to my ST1300 (Red Sox)

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
I sold my 2008 ST1300A to a guy (and new member) in Utah. Today I emptied the bags, put the stock screen on, cleaned everything up and took 160MB of pics for him. It sits on the Tender when not in use and literally ALWAYS starts... but this time it didn't and I had to jump it. The battery is only 2 years old and I hope it was just a fluke. I'm putting my Antigravity kit in the saddle bag for him just in case, since the bike will sit 2 weeks before he gets it. I ride it to the shipper on Monday morning about 20 miles away (temps gonna be around freezing when I leave).

I bought the bike new and only got to ride it around 28,000 miles total. Working from home seriously limits mileage. Other than a mouse eating the wiring and this battery issue, I've had no problems with it. It's just time to move to something smaller and significantly lighter. So I'm searching around for another Vstrom 650 since I like the one I have already out in Phoenix.

So, Monday it goes away, but I'm not going away from this forum. I've read a lot, learned a lot and contribute when I can. I look forward to many more years of riding, just not on a ST. Hope to see you soon on my new ride!

Howard

nerSTeve

Vendor
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Hate to see it go, hopefully you told him all about this place. Glad to see you stay too. Hope to see you at one of the events.

OP
OP
Outbackwack

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
The new owner has already been active on this forum and he is new to the ST1300. I conveyed my experiences here with nothing but praise. My bike always has Seafoam in it and it does get ridden, just not the huge mileage numbers some of you guys rack up. I'm just getting too old to keep pushing this behemoth around.

I was eyeing your bike when I saw her listed, but to many obstacles in the way for me to purchase. Sorry to see you had to let her go, but it sounds like she will have a happy home.

OP
OP
Outbackwack

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
I was eyeing your bike when I saw her listed, but to many obstacles in the way for me to purchase. Sorry to see you had to let her go, but it sounds like she will have a happy home.
I hear ya, JP. A lot of things have to come together for a long distance purchase and/or fly & ride. I planned my fly & ride from Dallas to Phoenix back in January and the week before I showed up it was sunny and in the 60's. When I arrived it was 41? and raining and the route I had planned was getting 10" of snow so I have to reroute south 100 miles to make it work out. Heated gear was a must. I'm riding the bike down to the shipper tomorrow and tonight it's supposed to be rain changing to snow and a low in the upper 20's. I just completely cleaned it too :-(

As the saying goes... hope for the best but plan for the worst.

Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I'm the lucky feller getting BoSTon's ST. I must say Howard is a total pleasure to work with! I have already benefited from lots of research on this site, it helped me decide on going with the ST1300, it also included a good recommendation directly to Howard's immaculate bike!

I look forward to long distance trips on this beauty!

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I'm the lucky feller getting BoSTon's ST. I must say Howard is a total pleasure to work with! I have already benefited from lots of research on this site, it helped me decide on going with the ST1300, it also included a good recommendation directly to Howard's immaculate bike!

I look forward to long distance trips on this beauty!
Nice, enjoy the new ride!!

Joseph/TX

R.I.P. - 2016/11/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
1994 ST-1100A
I hear ya, JP. A lot of things have to come together for a long distance purchase and/or fly & ride. I planned my fly & ride from Dallas to Phoenix back in January and the week before I showed up it was sunny and in the 60's. When I arrived it was 41? and raining and the route I had planned was getting 10" of snow so I have to reroute south 100 miles to make it work out. Heated gear was a must. I'm riding the bike down to the shipper tomorrow and tonight it's supposed to be rain changing to snow and a low in the upper 20's. I just completely cleaned it too :-(

As the saying goes... hope for the best but plan for the worst.
Sounds like the new owner really lucked out. I was riding last night wearing my usual fall riding gear, leather jacket, sweater, gloves, boots. Got our first taste of winter last night, about 35 degrees. Reminded me of my long-standing rule about comfort on a bike: 40 degrees w/o heated gear. Hope you don't break a tooth from teeth chattering....

OP
OP
Outbackwack

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
Well, Red Sox is on the skid ready to be shipped to Mark. I left the house at around 29? and it hit a high of 32? en route. The bike ran flawlessly. I had the heated gear on but never had to turn it on... dress in layers with good quality high tech stuff :)

Out with the old and in with the new! It's with mixed emotions that I move on.

Top Bottom