Bike started running poorly then quit and restarted. Fuel cap? Fuel Pump? Diaphram?

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Re: Bike started running poorly then quit and restarted. Fuel cap? Fuel Pump? Diaphra

That's the purpose of the vacuum fuel valve. Tip sensor kills the engine which kills the vacuum required to keep the fuel valve open.
-Jeff
Jeff - In this case, the cutoff would be removed. I thought he was referring to my 'temp' setup. ;-)

Bike
R1200rt
Re: Bike started running poorly then quit and restarted. Fuel cap? Fuel Pump? Diaphra

That's the purpose of the vacuum fuel valve. Tip sensor kills the engine which kills the vacuum required to keep the fuel valve open.

-Jeff
yes and on this site some have recommended to bypass the valve altogether

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #

yes and on this site some have recommended to bypass the valve altogether
And I happen to be one of them. ;-) Been on the side of the road twice when one failed (different ST1100s). One less thing for me to wonder about if I'm having fuel 'running troubles'. And so far (about 200,000+ miles), my hair has not fallen out, my eyes have not turned brown, and my ST1100s have not caught on fire because I removed them. But that's my experience, YEMV. :D

OP
OP
Ashley

Ashley

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Africa Twin
STOC #

I bypassed the fuel cutoff this past weekend and went for a 100 mile ride with no issues. This was starting with a full tank and the weather was cooler than last ride but I suspect this is the cure. I'll continue to monitor and see how it does.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

I bypassed the fuel cutoff this past weekend and went for a 100 mile ride with no issues. This was starting with a full tank and the weather was cooler than last ride but I suspect this is the cure. I'll continue to monitor and see how it does.
Take a PTO day Thursday and see if it will do 500 to Padden's RTE.

OP
OP
Ashley

Ashley

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Africa Twin
STOC #

Take a PTO day Thursday and see if it will do 500 to Padden's RTE.
I would except I'll be at Epcot that day to see my daughter perform in the Candlelight Processional with her school choir.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

I would except I'll be at Epcot that day to see my daughter perform in the Candlelight Processional with her school choir.
Ride and do both :)

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #

Epcot is only 75 miles or so from the lunch site. The candle light procession is in the evening. Not that difficult.

OP
OP
Ashley

Ashley

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Africa Twin
STOC #

Epcot is only 75 miles or so from the lunch site. The candle light procession is in the evening. Not that difficult.
Yeah, tell my wife that. Little family mini vacation.

OP
OP
Ashley

Ashley

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Africa Twin
STOC #

Status update on fuel starving issue:
I've had the fuel cutoff bypassed for a while now and it's been running great. Rode for 500+ miles over the weekend. The last two tanks of fuel I've run very low and never had a running issue. This past weekend's first tank I ran down to 296 miles and the needle was buried in the E but the low fuel light never came on. At fill-up I put 7.1 gallons:eek: for a return of 41 MPG. That's about the lowest I ever want to see since it holds 7.2. Guess I need to look at why the light isn't coming on now.

OP
OP
Ashley

Ashley

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Africa Twin
STOC #

Could the bulb be burned out?
Just checked that the bulb lights up when key first turned on. Checked if bulb comes on when grounding low fuel light connector near fuel pump and it does so it looks like low fuel warning thermistor is bad. Started searching and found this post so I'm on a hunt for NTC thermister.

Top Bottom