Added a new (to me) bike to the stable

Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
Bought a new to me, used bike today. I'm going to lower it a bit and give it to my girlfriend for Christmas.

Anyone care to venture a guess as to what it is?

Hint: It's red.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JoeP
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
I'll guess what bike it is and you can guess what my answer is!
I'm guessing your answer is:

2004 VFR800 with 8900 miles. I won't pick it up until my marathon schedule at work is done which is looking like the first week of December.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #

2004 VFR800 with 8900 miles. I won't pick it up until my marathon schedule at work is done which is looking like the first week of December.
The good - You are going to LOVE the thing. I had a 2002 ABS model for over 12 years. One of the best machines I have ever planted my rear end on. Very fast, very comfortable, handled well. I did two track days on it. Still miss it sometimes. Here is your source o lots of good VFR info:
http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/index
The not so good - The early sixth generation VFR800s were plagued with inadequate wiring harnesses and had issues with the big molex plug and ground wire at the main harness connector (sound familiar?), inadequate stator plugs into the R/R and inadequate main fuse harnesses. NHTA did a recall on this, and these harnesses were replaced with more robust units. Make sure it was done on your bike, it seems 2004 was a transition year. There is a volume of info on this on the site above.
After the harnesses were replaced and I replaced the stator/RR plugs I went 50k miles without any problems. All I ever did to it, other than wear items, after that was replace the original stator and spark plugs at about 60k. Nobody I have ever heard of ever needed the valves adjusted after the very expensive ($400) check. If I were to do it over again, I would just skip this unless the engine was not idling well. Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
JoeP
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
The good - You are going to LOVE the thing. I had a 2002 ABS model for over 12 years. One of the best machines I have ever planted my rear end on. Very fast, very comfortable, handled well. I did two track days on it. Still miss it sometimes. Here is your source o lots of good VFR info:
http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/index
The not so good - The early sixth generation VFR800s were plagued with inadequate wiring harnesses and had issues with the big molex plug and ground wire at the main harness connector (sound familiar?), inadequate stator plugs into the R/R and inadequate main fuse harnesses. NHTA did a recall on this, and these harnesses were replaced with more robust units. Make sure it was done on your bike, it seems 2004 was a transition year. There is a volume of info on this on the site above.
After the harnesses were replaced and I replaced the stator/RR plugs I went 50k miles without any problems. All I ever did to it, other than wear items, after that was replace the original stator and spark plugs at about 60k. Nobody I have ever heard of ever needed the valves adjusted after the very expensive ($400) check. If I were to do it over again, I would just skip this unless the engine was not idling well. Good luck!
Very good info and thanks for the heads-up!!

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #

Found an 03 this summer 7100 miles on it - and yeah have the VIN checked for recalls - dealers are good on fixing the wiring and such....I ran through it total cleaning and fluids waxed up the plastic and looks like new.. the dealer wanted to buy it from me. Put angel GTs on it and whoooo hooo....she's gonna love that. call it the "scarlett kitten" - congrats and nice present - and i agree no valve check for this girl till it really shows a need...good fuel, occasional gas treatment, at worst a vacume idle adjustment. So far absolute joy!

Top Bottom