Help Selecting Helmet Cam FOR STILLS (not a GoPro)

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I am interested in a helmet-mounted camera that will take good quality stills. Video is fine and action cameras tend to focus on that capability, but I prefer still images and I'd like the ability to take stills of whatever I'm looking at. It would be great to take a burst of shots on the fly without having to get off the bike and pull out a DSLR.

A remote control that I could clamp to a handlebar would be good. A camera that is waterproof (rainproof, at least) without an extra case would be good. Cost matters but I'll pay for the right features.

I do not like the GoPro form factor, especially because of how it sticks out so far on top or on the side of a helmet. The chunky waterproof case seems a PITA as well. I know lots of people like GoPros, but the form factor is a deal-breaker for me. Same with GoPro clones or other cameras with similar shapes.

A more flush mounted form factor (with the lens on the end) that attaches to the side of the helmet makes more sense to me. I'd appreciate anyone chiming in who has personal experience with a Drift Ghost or Contour camera, mounted on a helmet, especially for taking stills. If there's another good quality camera that mounts more flush on a helmet, is waterproof without a case, and with a remote control, I'd be interested in learning more.

Your humble scribe thanks you.

OP
OP
Bones

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Just learned about the GoPro Session. Not cheap but the form factor is much closer to acceptable.

nerSTeve

Vendor
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Did you check with Kate Murphy on NER? I think she has the Sena Cam?

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I've a Drift HD Ghost 1080P that is approaching 2 years old, received as a Christmas Gift... I just used it this morning on a nice ride. It also works great mounted to my ski helmet (although wifey doesn't like it when I follow her, skiing :D).

It is a great overall package with a useful remote and a streamlined form factor. It even turns into a Wi-Fi host for my my phone--I connect to it's Wi-Fi signal and my phone then can be used as a remote screen for it. Like!

It allows choice of multiple FOVs (fields of view), resolutions, burst modes, video quality, picture quality, etc.

It runs about 3 hours on a battery charge... a little less than I'd desired. But the remote LEDs shut down when the camera runs out of power, so I just pull over and insert another battery at that point. I carry 2 spare batteries.

One aspect of it (or any such small device) is that the pictures and videos are still a bit fisheye even when set to the narrowest FOV, and colors aren't as dynamic as a good camera (but you can fix images later with Photoshop).

Attached is a pic taken through the bike's windshield this morning at an overlook above Golden (I used Photoshop to reduce the image size to 1.2MP so that it would upload to this forum). It was set to 30 second Time Lapse (hence the 'TL' prefix on the file name; 60 sec TL also available), 5MP resolution (8MP and 11MP also available), 127* FOV (90* and 170* FOV also available), with Exposure set to "0" (can be 10 or 20% over exposed, or 10 or 20% under exposed).

I believe that Drift has probably improved on mine in the last 2 years ... but I'd not hesitate to buy another!

TL000436a.jpg

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
+1 on the Drift Ghost and Stealth for still photography. With the included remote control you can take pictures when you want or just set it to take a picture every few seconds and throw away the ones you don't want.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I am very happy with my Ion air pro c/w wifi. Although I have not used it at all for stills. It works well on the side of my transformer bike helmet,, and on my ski helmet. There is a full description of their various models on the website. Cat'

OP
OP
Bones

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Thanks for the replies.

In looking through a great many comparisons and reviews online, I keep coming down to this basic assessment of the GoPro (specifically the Hero4 Silver): The shape isn't the best for use on a motorbike helmet, but everything else is brilliant. And for aftermarket bits, no one comes close to GoPro. Wish it didn't looks so goofy on a helmet.

OP
OP
Bones

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Been looking at reviews. Techmoan.com reviews are especially helpful and also kind of amusing in a British manner. Helpful reviews on Revzilla as usual.

The GoPro Hero4 Session looks more and more intriguing...small size, convenient form factor (could mount it to my helmet's chin bar), 8MP stills in a variety of modes, simplicity, as waterproof as I'll need without a separate housing, able to use all the various GoPro accessories. Would be nice if you could swap out batteries (can't, battery is internal). Lacks the really high-end video features of the Hero4 Silver or Black, but that's not my thing anyway. GoPro dropped the price a good amount since the introduction earlier this year, too.

EDIT: Going to give the Hero4 Session a try.

Last edited:
Top Bottom