TechSpec Gas Tank Grips and soon Pannier Covers

A lot of you are aware of TechSpec and their great tank grips. A buddy recently showed up on his BMW with a very nice set of pannier covers from TechSpec to protect his saddlebags from boot scuffs. I looked at their website and there was none for the ST1300. I then contacted them and asked TechSpec for some and they said no they didn't make any but let's make a set. WHAT!! So the last couple of weeks we have been exchanging pics and measurements and TechSpec even sent me a pattern for the BMW to see how they work and get my comments. I have included some pics so you can see the development history and hopefully next week the first ST1300 pannier covers for me to check out and give TechSpec and the forum will arrive for my review.

Stay Tuned.

Mark

Attachments

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Fabulous Mark - what a heck of a great idea! Thanks very much for this initiative - and also to the folks at TechSpec.

I really like my beautiful 2007 ST1300 - but the P-O must have been a bit of a shortie because the tops of the panniers are quite badly scuffed up. I have down-loaded the article on re-finishing panniers from the "Articles" section and that will be my winter project - but the notion of putting some protection on them is most welcome.

Anyhow, I sure look forward to seeing how they come out and then ordering a set for my bike.

Pete

OP
OP
K/W Motoman
Pete: Have a look at the reviews section regarding my Meguires DA power buffer. I used the buffer and some 3M compound on my buddies scuffed bags and the improvement was amazing.

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
I took my side bags to my local Lin-ex installer and had them cover my bags .no more scuffs ever

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Sounds interesting. My bags are beyond scuffed - gouged is a better description. I gave a dirt biker a ride back to near where he got his moto stuck in the mud in the Black Rock Desert. Dirt bike boot buckles do a number on ST1300 bags. Once I see the final product, I'd buy a set if they cover where the gouges are. Looks close

OP
OP
K/W Motoman
A lot of you are aware of TechSpec and their great tank grips. A buddy recently showed up on his BMW with a very nice set of pannier covers from TechSpec to protect his saddlebags from boot scuffs. I looked at their website and there was none for the ST1300. I then contacted them and asked TechSpec for some and they said no they didn't make any but let's make a set. WHAT!! So the last couple of weeks we have been exchanging pics and measurements and TechSpec even sent me a pattern for the BMW to see how they work and get my comments. I have included some pics so you can see the development history and hopefully next week the first ST1300 pannier covers for me to check out and give TechSpec and the forum will arrive for my review.

Stay Tuned.

Mark
Well the new ST1300 experimental pannier covers arrived today and I couldn't be happier. I asked for the more aggressive glue and boy did they deliver and I would recommend this option when purchasing.
Cleaned the saddlebags with Windex and alcohol swaps. I then gently heated the saddlebag tops until warm and the covers until warm. Then I lined up the back portion and laid it down. My concern about the cover going over the edge and staying stuck turned out to be a non-issue. They are really on there and probably would come off but would need some effort. I wanted mine to stay on and never come off.
So Robbie the President at TechSpec has been told to expect some inquiries from the forum and I hope he gets some because he came through big time.

Mark

Attachments

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Well the new ST1300 experimental pannier covers arrived today and I couldn't be happier. I asked for the more aggressive glue and boy did they deliver and I would recommend this option when purchasing.
Cleaned the saddlebags with Windex and alcohol swaps. I then gently heated the saddlebag tops until warm and the covers until warm. Then I lined up the back portion and laid it down. My concern about the cover going over the edge and staying stuck turned out to be a non-issue. They are really on there and probably would come off but would need some effort. I wanted mine to stay on and never come off.
So Robbie the President at TechSpec has been told to expect some inquiries from the forum and I hope he gets some because he came through big time.

Mark
Wow - that looks very snazz Mark! I am going to contact Tech-Spec and enquire about getting some of these.

Cheers and thanks for the initiative!

Pete

Bike
07 ST1300
I would go for them in a heart beat IF they did not have the stripey cut outs. I wax my bike and that would give me fits!

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Another option if you can get it, is the stuff they put on step pads for boat trailers. It's pretty tough, has a nice crinkled finish, cuts with regular scissors and has peel and stick adhesive on the back. I used the old ST1100 protector pieces as templates and the stuff lasts a lot time and then you can carefully pull it off and replace it if need be.

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
Any idea of the price on these?
Will they be available in different colors?
I would love a pair, wifey tends to scuff the bags with her boots when she gets on, drives me nuts.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K/W Motoman
I would go for them in a heart beat IF they did not have the stripey cut outs. I wax my bike and that would give me fits!
Jim: The cut outs allow the covers to better conform to the lid shape and anyway why do you think Q-Tips were invented.
For anal cleaners like you and I. ( that doesn't sound good but you get the idea )

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I like the looks.....but it doesn't cover that front corner that always get the abuse.....

You know the one corner that attracts boot heals with gravel imbedded in them.....

ToddC

Bike
2010 ST1300
Another option if you can get it, is the stuff they put on step pads for boat trailers. It's pretty tough, has a nice crinkled finish, cuts with regular scissors and has peel and stick adhesive on the back. I used the old ST1100 protector pieces as templates and the stuff lasts a lot time and then you can carefully pull it off and replace it if need be.
Phil,
Where did you get this stuff? At a boat dealer? Did it have a brand name on it?

Peter

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Peter - Our company happens to make fenders and step pads for boat trailer manufacturers (among other metal parts). I 'begged' a few pieces from one of our customers. I'll sniff around and see if I can find a source.

Top Bottom