Intermittent FI light @ startup

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Hi all,
I've noticed over the last several weeks that sometimes when I start my '04 1300 that after I turn the key on, then turn on the kill switch (down) the FI light will not illuminate and will not hear the whine of whatever it is that whines before you start it. Hit the engine start button and it's dead. Then I turn everything back off and try it again and it usually will work fine and start. Stays on a tender at home when not riding. New battery about two months old.
Any thoughts, questions or ideas?

Skip

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Sounds like It could be a dirty switch issue. The grease the factory uses gets hard and can cause this type of issue. Get some plastic friendly electrical spray cleaner and remove the switch and clean it out. His should fix you problem.
Let us know what happens.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Sounds like also possibly a key/ignition switch contact issue...especially since it resolves if you key it off then back on.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Next time it does this leave the key on and cycle the kill switch a few times. Any difference?

In the mean time some plastic safe contact cleaner in the starter switch and kill switch might clear it up. The switch housing comes apart without any springs etc. flying out.

The whine and click you hear is the fuel pump pressurizing the rail. You should hear it and see the FI light each time you cycle the kill switch with the key on run.

Sounds like a dirty kill switch. You should hear the relay click and fuel pump with a dirty starter switch.

Did the lights come on when it did this?

OP
OP
skipcurt

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Next time it does this leave the key on and cycle the kill switch a few times. Any difference?

Did the lights come on when it did this?
I'll look into these items and get a good cleaner as well. We're out of town for some turkey so I'll try and look into these this weekend.

Skip

OP
OP
skipcurt

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
So first off, I must apologize for the delay in responding to the help I've received.
I did end up disassembling the starter/kill switch unit and gave it a good cleaning. It was dirtier in there than I thought it would be. Sprayed and wiped both sections (upper & lower) several times as best I could with plastic safe contact cleaner. Lightly blew it out with some compressed air and reassembled. Reassembly was a bit of a bear as I did not pay enough attention to how those small pieces really laid in there. It worked much better right away but I've tried it several times since working on it over Christmas and it appears to have been remedied.
So again thank you to all who replied and sorry for my delay.

Skip

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Good to hear you got this cleared up, Skip.... Sorry I missed this thread until today, but... +1 on what the others said. (A little late and "hind sight is never wrong").... LOL

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
After heavy cleaning with electrical or contact cleaner the switch needs to be re-lubed with dielectric grease before reassembly.

OP
OP
skipcurt

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
After heavy cleaning with electrical or contact cleaner the switch needs to be re-lubed with dielectric grease before reassembly.
I thought the same thing Dave but I was surprised to see that the starter switch has sealant or plastic dip on the terminals which makes sense. Because of that I didn't do it. Think I should still put some on there?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I would and I do Curt. I'm amazed how well the switches are constructed on 1300s. With a little care they will last a very long time and feel nice and smooth doing so.

Top Bottom