OP
OP
STraymond

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
Good to hear that your OK Raymond. How did the Bike fair it?

A local 4 lane hwy here, has cracks between the lanes in places (no tar patch yet) large enough for my Wee tire to fit into. Have to be careful where and how I change lanes. I think this could be even more dangerous for motorcyles, than dry snakes anyway.

CJH in July, had a large portion on east end resurfaced. Much better than it was in 2012 at 92-94*.

The bike slid on its left side so need to replace mirror, mirror cover, turn signal lens, and engine guard cover. The left saddlebag top portion - which has a Lin-X truckbed liner coating, fared nicely, but the gray unpainted portion got scratched up enough to replace.

Last time I was on CJH was also 2012. Thanks for the good news about the resurfacing - I will probably ride it after RockStoc next year.

Ray

Last edited:

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
I'd take tar snakes over cracks and pot holes any day ...... :)
:plus1: on that. I don't like any road hazards, but I do ride a motorcycle, so.... I just keep telling myself, (according to new info) I ride 23% safer than automobile drivers that don't ride.

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
The bike slid on its left side so need to replace mirror, mirror cover, turn signal lens, and engine guard cover. The left saddlebag top portion - which has a Lin-X truckbed liner coating, fared nicely, but the gray unpainted portion got scratched up enough to replace. Ray
Maybe you can find used parts for repair and help save some $. New parts wouldn't paint match anyway. When I replaced the R. signal on the 2008 GW this year, paint didn't match...not obvious, but I could see it and GW stayed inside except when riding.

Sounds like maybe you should do the entire bike with Line-X. ;-)

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
That thing is the Anaconda of tar snakes. It looks like another whole lane. I can see where it would be a problem. You could ride on it completely. Most of the ones I see are no wider than the bike's tires.

OP
OP
STraymond

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
Maybe you can find used parts for repair and help save some $. New parts wouldn't paint match anyway. When I replaced the R. signal on the 2008 GW this year, paint didn't match...not obvious, but I could see it and GW stayed inside except when riding.

Sounds like maybe you should do the entire bike with Line-X. ;-)

Regarding the painted tupperware, yes, the sun fading of the older pieces does cause a difference. State Farm came thru - after my $250 deductible.

Regarding the Lin-X, the dealer told me that he had done a whole bike. It was a Harley - Surprise, surprise!

Last edited:
OP
OP
STraymond

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
Oh - I failed to mention that an Ohio state trooper gave me an award for failure to control my vehicle. I went to trial on this today and the trooper failed to show up. I was told that the prosecuter's office forgot to notify the trooper about the trial. Over my objection the judge granted a continuance to the state. Stay tuned...

Ray

v8-7

Site Supporter
That sux and I don't think it's legal in States I have lived in ..

Did you waive your right to a speedy trial ?

OP
OP
STraymond

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
That sux and I don't think it's legal in States I have lived in ..

Did you waive your right to a speedy trial ?

I did waive it because the judge indicated that I could then have a choice in setting the date for the second attempt at the trial.

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Those same tar snakes are popular in Iowa as well, they almost cut a 2 week trip down to 1 day for me.

OP
OP
STraymond

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
It sure would help if you had an expert witness.

Coming back from LobsterSTOC, I had to cross extra wide tar-snakes (10-12") between lanes on a wet highway. I crossed them at small angles of incidence and at lower speeds, each time the resulting wobble was a butt-clenching experience. I can see how crossing parallel snakes could be unrecoverable, if the wobble resulting from the first snake is not sufficiently damped then entering the second snake with a small wobble would result in a total loss of control.

Mike

That is some excellent analysis! Are you available as an expert witness??

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
It sure would help if you had an expert witness.
I googled Caltrans and crack sealing, and got a lot of matches.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHWA_enUS606US606&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=caltrans crack seal specs

I remember reading somewhere in some Caltrans related stuff specifications on how wide and thick the sealant could be. I glanced through a couple of the links above but couldn't find it. Maybe someone else with stronger google fu and more motivation can find it. If your state or the fed's have similar recommendations, and your tar snakes didn't comply, that would certainly help.

Lastly, I wouldn't agree to a continuance if the officer isn't there. Usually in traffic matters, if you don't agree to a continuance then the case is dismissed because the report is heresay without the officer present, and as such can't be used.

edit: Here's another link. http://www.usroads.com/journals/rmj/9707/rm970702.htm Maybe contact the AMA

Last edited:
OP
OP
STraymond

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
I googled Caltrans and crack sealing, and got a lot of matches.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHWA_enUS606US606&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=caltrans crack seal specs

I remember reading somewhere in some Caltrans related stuff specifications on how wide and thick the sealant could be. I glanced through a couple of the links above but couldn't find it. Maybe someone else with stronger google fu and more motivation can find it. If your state or the fed's have similar recommendations, and your tar snakes didn't comply, that would certainly help.

Lastly, I wouldn't agree to a continuance if the officer isn't there. Usually in traffic matters, if you don't agree to a continuance then the case is dismissed because the report is heresay without the officer present, and as such can't be used.

edit: Here's another link. http://www.usroads.com/journals/rmj/9707/rm970702.htm Maybe contact the AMA

Jeff -

Thanks for the links - They will come in handy. As to the continuance, I did object
to the continuance when the officer was not there, but the judge overruled me.

Ray

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Oh - I failed to mention that an Ohio state trooper gave me an award for failure to control my vehicle. I went to trial on this today and the trooper failed to show up. I was told that the prosecuter's office forgot to notify the trooper about the trial. Over my objection the judge granted a continuance to the state. Stay tuned...

Ray
With police officers like that...who needs politicians?

I was going to say something else that rhymed with work - but it seemed unpleasant so I resisted....:mad:

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Dave -

Did the Iowa snakes cause you to go down??
No I did not go down, thankfully I was able to recover with some back and forth sliding, fully loaded with camping gear going about 70 MPH at the time in a hard rain.
A true learning experience !

TPadden

Tom Padden
With police officers like that...who needs politicians?.......:mad:
If a tar snake makes you crash, I would legally describe it as "unsafe speed for conditions". We've become a society where hitting a tree somehow isn't our fault ......

OP
OP
STraymond

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
If a tar snake makes you crash, I would legally describe it as "unsafe speed for conditions". We've become a society where hitting a tree somehow isn't our fault ......

I would agree with Tom if we are speaking of your normal, run of the mill tar snakes - that experienced riders just ride through. But the combination of long parallel wet snakes with a 12 - 18 inch strip of regular pavement between them can set up a slide, grab, slide motion when crossing. When the front and rear wheels are going thru this at different times when changing lanes, the bike can go into a severe wobble.

Top Bottom