Cracked Headlamp Surround

Bike
08 VFR800, 17 CB1100
I've got what started off several years as a small crack in the reflective headlamp surround (left side) that is developing into quite a chasm. There is also now a secondary site that has started. I suspect it's a stress crack that was initiated when I dropped the bike on the left side 7 years ago (although there was no apparent damage) and our hellish high temps during the summer.

My question: is this repairable with some sort of silicon-type adhesive, or am I looking at a remove and replace (R&R) situation? If R&R, can that individual surround be replaced, or will it required total replacement of the entire headlight nose unit (probably about $500.+)?

Inputs greatly appreciated.

I'm unable to post the photo taken as an attachment for some reason. Clicking Manage Attachments does nothing.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Just after I picked up my 1991 ST1100 in July, I cracked the left mirror housing when I misjudged the garage pillar...just kissed it. Made my hard left turn like I was driving my GL1000. The crack is all the way through, starting at the point of contact on the lower left 'corner' through to the upper right 'corner' nearest that mount. I am going to repair it first long stretch of bad weather we have here using a technique I use to repair plastic side covers, headlight shells and such that have to bear some load when installed. Adhesive alone will not withstand any installation stresses for long...on unstressed parts, it's fine. I reinforce the repair with fiberglass cloth, not the batting form.

Disassemble, remove any internals and clean everything with detergent. Blow dry or allow to dry completely.
Sand the inside surface, paralleling the crack and making a rough strip about 1/2 inch wide. Clean with acetone.
Cut two strips of fiberglass cloth, just a bit longer than the crack and as wide as the roughed up area just sanded.
Glue on the cloth strips, one over the other, covering the scuffed up area, with an epoxy resin for plastics, thoroughly wetting the cloth and allowing the resin to squeeze out the front side of the crack. Work out the bubbles. Allow it to cure completely.
Sand the squeeze-out to contour. Sand out any scratches or imperfections using body putty to fill any really big ones that a coat of primer may not fill.
Prime with a paint suitable for plastics. Any potentially obnoxious scratches will show themselves....sand them smooth. Re prime if the first coat is sanded through.
Apply color coats. Lightly sand the last color coat.
Apply a clear coat or two.
Allow the paint to cure for a few days. I like a week.
Reassemble and install.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
You might consider drilling a small hole at the end of one of the crack(s) to keep it from spreading. If you patch it with fiberglass you probably don't need to drill.

OP
OP
Yuma ST
Bike
08 VFR800, 17 CB1100
Follow-up to my previous: is the back of the headlamp assembly a sealed unit? I've seen photos of the back in the thread related to replacing the bulbs, but not sure if the cover plate (that has the holes for the bulbs) is removeable, or if it's a sealed unit. I need access to the back of the silver reflective panel that surrounds the lamps in order to repair the crack. Sods law says that it's a sealed unit, which means I'll have to purchase the entire assembly.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Follow-up to my previous: is the back of the headlamp assembly a sealed unit? I've seen photos of the back in the thread related to replacing the bulbs, but not sure if the cover plate (that has the holes for the bulbs) is removeable, or if it's a sealed unit. I need access to the back of the silver reflective panel that surrounds the lamps in order to repair the crack. Sods law says that it's a sealed unit, which means I'll have to purchase the entire assembly.
It is a sealed unit. It is also a safety concern. Sometimes the adhesive deteriorates to the point where they leak (happened to me), sometimes they crack, etc. Bite the bullet, buy a new OEM Honda unit and be done with it. About $400 from Service Honda.
I do not trust the Chinese copies sold on ebay. Too much can go wrong with the adjuster, etc.

OP
OP
Yuma ST
Bike
08 VFR800, 17 CB1100
John; Many thanks for your response. It would have sucked to go through the motions of pulling off the plastic only to find I couldn't access the crack. I'll contact Alan at South Sound Honda up in Olympia and get a price; they usually spank the competition and Alan and Mike are great to work with.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Breaking open a headlight assembly is not too difficult. About 10 minutes in a warm oven and it will seperate. I found my local Ace hardware gad the butyl rubber in a caulk tube that I could seal the unit back up again. Clean out tge old with some small sxrewdrivers and lits if paper towels. Squeeze in a small bead all the way around, warm it and snap it back together. The same goes for the tailigght assembly.

OP
OP
Yuma ST
Bike
08 VFR800, 17 CB1100
So lets talk about these Fleabay, Chinese parts. I know many have had issues with the quality and fit of the fairings, etc. but what about parts such as a headlight unit? Cheapest OEM I've been able to find is $374. + shipping, while China knock-offs have them for $189 + shipping. Truth be told Honda probably has the OEM stuff made in the same Chinese factories that the knock-offs come from. Does anyone on the forum have any experience with the smaller type Chinese parts?

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
So lets talk about these Fleabay, Chinese parts. I know many have had issues with the quality and fit of the fairings, etc. but what about parts such as a headlight unit? Cheapest OEM I've been able to find is $374. + shipping, while China knock-offs have them for $189 + shipping. Truth be told Honda probably has the OEM stuff made in the same Chinese factories that the knock-offs come from. Does anyone on the forum have any experience with the smaller type Chinese parts?
No experience with these units, but I cannot find where any are DOT approved. Also, they are complicated by nature, especially with the adjustment motor and wiring. I faced the same dilemma when I replaced mine, went with OEM.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Does anyone on the forum have any experience with the smaller type Chinese parts?
My experience is limited to the aftermarket clear front directional signals. Of two pair they were fine over all but the holes for the sockets on one pair had a lot of flash on the edges and had to be cleaned up with a small knife and file.

The plastic used is also thinner and the housings are lighter than OEM. In cleaning up the flash I wasn't as careful as I should have been and "over corrected" slightly.

That being my only experience for a headlight housing I'd go OEM. Some of the favored online parts places might have a better price.

OP
OP
Yuma ST
Bike
08 VFR800, 17 CB1100
Decided to go OEM, as it's not worth the bother and after all this is my baby, so she deserves the best. South Sound Honda took good care of me; as usual.

Top Bottom