Picked up new ST1300

Bike
ST1300 2015
Hi everyone. I picked up my new St1300 form our local Honda shop on Tuesday.
It's an awesome bike but she's big. I did a couple of days riding around town first.
Then on Friday I went for a 2 hour ride over to a old wee French settlement called Akaroa.
The road is very hilly with long straights & lots of tight corners & "S" bends.
I loved the ride because it really got me to grips with the way the ST handles.
I thought it handled really well for such a big heavy bike & suspension was firm but compliant.
They are obviously built to eat up KM's & it does that very well.
I am so rapped with my choice of this bike over the others I test rode.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
ST1300 2015
Thanks Jim.
I got them to fit Oxford heated grips & a new Givi top box plate.
I swapped the top box over from the old CBF1000.
I have the GPS mounted up on left bar now too, along with tank protector.

Attachments

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Congratulations on the new ride, have fun putting all of the extra items that you are going to want now. Enjoy it.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Congratulations on your new ST1300. What year is it? Also I am curious how far away you may be from Ivercargill, as I am not familiar with New Zealand geography. The only reason I ask is that I really enjoyed the movie about Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian. That story really impressed me, enough so that I have to watch the DVD periodically. I am only mentioning this because every time I see some reference to New Zealand, I'm reminded of this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
ST1300 2015
Congratulations on your new ST1300. What year is it? Also I am curious how far away you may be from Invercargill, as I am not familiar with New Zealand geography. The only reason I ask is that I really enjoyed the movie about Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian. That story really impressed me, enough so that I have to watch the DVD periodically. I am only mentioning this because every time I see some reference to New Zealand, I'm reminded of this.
Hi Don, for those unfamiliar with NZ here's a quick geography background....

New Zealand is in the South Pacific about 3.5 hours flying south east from Australia.
There are two main islands, called the North Island & the South Island.
The North is a hotter climate & the South is colder in the winter but hot as in the summer.
Auckland is the largest city in the upper North Island with a population of near 1.4 million.
Christchurch is on the east coast towards the middle of the South Island. It is New Zealand's 2nd largest City with only 366,000 population. Prior to the 2010-2011 earthquakes CHCH was described as the most English city outside of England, but now not so quaint as we have lost so many heritage buildings.

A stunning beautiful country with truly breathtaking scenery from top to toe, passing down through lush green Auckland, past desert like central plateau into a slightly mountainous region mixed with lovely plains which extends across Cook Strait & on down the South Island. This island is punctuated by the Southern Alps. On one side is the fairly wet/semi tropical beautiful West Coast & on the other is the lovely Canterbury planes on the eastern side. There is much unspoiled native bush & lots of green. Amazing Mountains, lakes, glaciers OMG more than I can mention.

Queenstown, Fox Glacier, Golden Bay, Milford Sound, Northland, Auckland, Christchurch are all must see's in my book. Nothing like anything I have seen overseas unless you put several countries scenery together.

Now to answer your question about Burt Munro. Burt lived in Invercargill as you know. It is at the very South of the South Island. It is about a 6.5 hour road journey from CHCH of 566 kilometers. It is a large town really of about 30,000 people. Cold in the winter nice in the summer. Burt was a very well known local celebrity in his day. A truly amazing story of a man driven to achieve a goal against any odds.

New Zealand is a beautiful country for a tour of epic proportions. It has good roads but some spectacular & challenging sections. Well worth the trip to one of the most beautiful places on the earth, which we call "Gods Own".

Leeanne & I have a spare room & anyone who ever ventures this way are more than welcome.
Kiwi's are great hosts.
Please look us up if ever you're down this way.
Email is pauls64@hotmail.com

Attachments

Last edited:

737Captain

Heavy Equipment Operator
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Paul, What are the August temps like on the North and South Islands. I have 3 weeks vacation August 2016 which we could perhaps turn into 5 weeks. Just thinking we could rent a bike and or a motorhome. Ideas? tgee2@me.com

OP
OP
Bike
ST1300 2015
Hi Tony, August is coming out of the colder months & moving into Spring here. Weather is variable though. You will get the benefit of still seeing some beautiful snow on the mountains & alpine passes etc but the southern roads should be pretty clear then. Put it this way unless you want a snowy winter experience I wouldn't come earlier. Also no earlier if you don't like cold climates. Coming from Tampa I would class you as definitely a warm climate. But that all depends on what you want. Summer season starts more towards October-November. You can hire an ST1300 here in Christchurch stored at our local Honda dealer because that's the bike I test rode. If I was doing the South Island then I might choose a camper-van or Motorbike whilst using home stays, motels & camping ground cabins maybe. Here's a link to average Christchurch weather & temps for August. the further south you go the colder it gets. http://www.holiday-weather.com/christchurch/averages/august/

Last edited:

737Captain

Heavy Equipment Operator
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Hi Tony, August is coming out of the colder months & moving into Spring here. Weather is variable though. You will get the benefit of still seeing some beautiful snow on the mountains & alpine passes etc but the southern roads should be pretty clear then. Put it this way unless you want a snowy winter experience I wouldn't come earlier. Also no earlier if you don't like cold climates. Coming from Tampa I would class you as definitely a warm climate. But that all depends on what you want. Summer season starts more towards October-November. You can hire an ST1300 here in Christchurch stored at our local Honda dealer because that's the bike I test rode. If I was doing the South Island then I might choose a camper-van or Motorbike whilst using home stays, motels & camping ground cabins maybe. Here's a link to average Christchurch weather & temps for August. the further south you go the colder it gets. http://www.holiday-weather.com/christchurch/averages/august/
Thanks Paul,

I think I might try to move vacation back a couple of weeks. Hopefully we'll we you in 2016

OP
OP
Bike
ST1300 2015
Be glad to see you Tony, make sure you look us up when you come over & message me if you need any more help on local info etc. oh & that goes for anyone venturing down this way.

Top Bottom