Which size clearview for ST1300?

Bike
ST1300 (2004)
STOC #
I had a Clearview wind screen on my ST 1100 and loved it. I want to get another Clearview for my new ST 1300. Because it's adjustable, I don't know whether to get the small or medium size. I am 5 foot 9, and like the option of seeing through at the top position.

Any guidance would be appreciated. They have 25 percent off the price today only (cyber Monday)! So a great price even though I have to pay $72 to have it shipped to Canada!

Thanks for your help, Michael.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I am 6'2" I use the clearview GT Small and love it it gets high enough to give me weather protection when I need it and low enough to give me lots of air when its hot. But I never look through the shield I like to look over it.

OP
OP
michaelbryant
Bike
ST1300 (2004)
STOC #
Thanks so much for your replies. With the GT small I wonder if I'll get the wind and rain protection as a 5 foot niner...but I understand that the whole windscreen assembly is adjustable as well. I'll have to look into it. It's in my manual...I think!

i don't like looking through the windshield at all, but with the stock windshield I need to have it all the way up to create that quiet pocket. I'm hoping that with the Clearview I can still see over it and get the quiet, like on my old ST1100 with the Clearview.

I guess my question is, would the medium still go down far enough out of the way, like it does with the stock screen?

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I'm 5' 7" and had a GT Small with a Gold Wing vent. I liked that it could go down lower than stock. You can always raise a small shield, and on the ST you can raise the location of the shield on the arms, but you can't make a tall shield shorter without cutting it. I always looked over but I could raise the GT Small high enough to look through.

I vote for small.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
I just picked up the medium with the vent. I got the medium because my wife needs a significant amount of protection from turbulence. I had the OEM shield on the upper setting of the brackets. I mounted the new med. shield on the lower brackets which gives me the same height as before and enough ability to look over the shield. I hate looking through any shield unless I absolutely must. I ordered the vent expecting that when my wife was with me, and the shield was up higher, the vent would offer the additional air and diminish low pressure behind the shield. I was a little surprised to see the vent was tinted when my shield was ordered clear. I checked with Clearview and they told me that they get the vent directly from Honda and that was the only color/tint. Can't wait to actually give the shield a ride. It's gonna be a LONG winter here in Wisconsin.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I plan to mount my new tinted medium Clearview the same way,,, in the lower position on the arms. I did not order the center vent installed,, because I happen to have a spare tinted 5 position ShowChrome vent on hand from another bike project. And firstly,,, I want to try the new shield without the vent,,, as I don't like it in my field of view at all. I know it is effective,,, and also that you get used to it,, and I have one on my 1000c. So it may eventually get installed. One thing that the folds at Tulsa told me about the tinted vents vs. the clear plastic vents,,, is that the clears tend to yellow with UV. So,,, over the long term the tinted vents look better. Be sure to put up a picture of your new Clearview when you can,,, cwenten. I should be receiving mine a couple of weeks. cheers, Cat'

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Well,, it is a couple of weeks later, and I did a trial install of my new Clearview medium shield last night. First impressions,,, just out of the box, was that this is not much bigger than stock. That could be good,,, or could be bad, or could be just right. Only testing will tell. I mounted it in the lower arm position, where as the oem was mounted in the upper. It does not have the graceful curve of the stock shield,,, and has the top edge flip as well. But this is going to be a case of functionality vs. aesthetics, and only testing will tell. I had to take the rearward rake out for now,,, and will test it first without that. Also, my mirror deflectors will stay boxed until I see how the Clearview performs on it's own. Just sitting on the bike,, it seems a bit taller even at the lowest position. But it still has the protective film on it, which stays in place until tested as per the makers instructions. It seems rigid enough,,, and I like how it comes down further over the fairing at the lower edge. Keeping the wind off my arms and shoulders, as well as better protection for my wife were the main goals here. Now all we need is spring,,, and I have a hunch that is coming a bit earlier this year. Cheers,, Cat'

Bike
2006 ST1300A
I have the GT medium with the GW vent and have gotten a couple rides in so far. The shield almost entirely eliminates all buffeting, even with it all the way down. Raise it 1-2 inces and all you'll hear is engine. The vent flows a good amount of air and is helpful when raising the shield high. The extra width takes the breeze off my arms and shoulders. I'm looking forward to getting some warmer rides in.

There is a couple threads regarding the howling some people have gotten with the clearview. I got the same howl. I put some dark foam material between the two pieces of the fairing (as a number of others on here have suggested) and it absolutely fixed the howl. I am very pleased with this shield.

More to follow.

Be Safe.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
One of the reasons that I did not order the GW vent in my new Clearview, is that when I had a similar vent mounted on another one of my bikes,,, I found a fair number of bugs came right through it. So although that bike has a huge look thru Tulsa tall screen,,, I was taking enough bugs through the vent that I now needed to make sure I had eye protection. On the ST,, I found that I like looking over the stock screen most of the time. That means I have been cleaning my visor and helmet of bugs fairly often. I am hoping that the top edge flip/flare on the Clearview helps throw more bugs up and over me,, than the stocker does. Something that I considered doing my bike that has the Tulsa c/w GW vent,,, was to add a wire mesh screen to it. Ebay was selling some metal grills for those vents as well. But snce then I started riding the ST a lot more,, and so have not followed up on any of those ideas as yet. Cheers,, Cat'

Top Bottom