Valvoline Synthetic DOT 3&4 Brake Fluid

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
I was in Walmart a few days ago and noticed that they stock Valvoline Synthetic DOT 3 / 4 brake fluid. On the label, it says it "mixes" with all other DOT 3 & 4 brake fluid.

The interesting thing is a quart only cost about 40 cents more ( just under $7 ) than the standard DOT 3 fluid that they sell, so I bought a quart.

Has anyone used synthetic brake fluid ?? Comments ??

OP
OP
Jim Van
Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Good question. If the synthetic is not as hydroscopic as conventional brake fluid, that would be a big advantage. I'll do a search on the Valvoline site to see what the difference is between the "dry" & "wet" boiling points.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Good question. If the synthetic is not as hydroscopic as conventional brake fluid, that would be a big advantage. I'll do a search on the Valvoline site to see what the difference is between the "dry" & "wet" boiling points.
It's still glycol based so I would still expect it to me hygroscopic. The main advantage to the Valvoline stuff is that, comparing the label data on the bottle to lesser fluids, it maintains a higher boiling point when "wet" compared to those lesser fluids.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Buying by the quart is not a good idea, unless you are doing several vehicles at the same time. Once the seal is broken, even with the cap replaced, your fluid will be absorbing moisture. Buy just what you use in one service.

Top Bottom