Oops I did it again !

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
It must be a mental problem, at least that is what the wife says. :)

I just added another ST1300 to the stable. I found a deal on Craigslist :bow1:that I just couldn?t pass up. It started at $3500 and no one came to look at it.

2003 :03biker: ST1300 77,000 miles. Stock. Not a change anywhere. Paint good, Some plastic is faded. Runs great. New front tire, Rear tire is a Battle Ax Bridgestone with over 15,000 miles on it with room for more, with generous ?chicken strips? on the tires. I don?t think it was beaten or rode hard. Paint is in real good shape.

Bike has sat for the last two years, prior owner passed and wife took a while to deal with it. Bike was bought in Topeka KS and spent most it?s miles in the Midwest. I?m guessing that is why the lower plastic is stained so bad.
Original owner moved around a bit, ended up here in Seattle about 7 years ago and it hasn?t been ridden in almost three years.

What I have found so far;

The good?
Oil changed as Honda prescribes, that?s where the records stop

The Bad?
That?s all that was done. No valve checks, that I can find. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

So, time to take it all apart and start from scratch. Even the factory recalls were not done. Once I take it apart, I will take it to the stealer for the factory safety updates. It will be my winter project since the other two bikes are current on service.

Oh yea ?there is another good. I picked it up for $2300.

Take a look ?
2003 ST1300 008 (Small).jpg
2003 ST1300 007 (Small).jpg
ToddC

Bike
'14 CTX1300
STOC #
Sad story but a nice deal. I'm sure the wife is happy it is going to a home where it will be well taken care of.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Nice buy! Although the pics are not quite clear on it, if the lower plastic is just faded, a good way to bring it back is a Magic Eraser, and "Back to Black". Some folks use a heat gun on it too...

Congrats on your new toy, and ride it safe and long!

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Nice buy! Although the pics are not quite clear on it, if the lower plastic is just faded, a good way to bring it back is a Magic Eraser, and "Back to Black". Some folks use a heat gun on it too...

Congrats on your new toy, and ride it safe and long!
I tried the Back to Black yesterday and it didn't make a dent in the brown staining. Tried an SOS pad and it didn't remove the stain. Anyone out there ever painted the plastic ?????

I may need to find new lower fairing parts that are not stained......
2003 ST1300 046 (Small).jpg

ToddC

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
Hi Todd, A sad story but glad you got a good deal. The old saying about being 'afraid she'll sell the toys for what I told her I paid' may not be such an urban legend after all. It is/was probably a tough time .....

I checked pictures and it looks like the trim in question might have been originally black. Before thinking about paint I would try this. My 04 was showing some of the gray weathering/discoloration. No experience with longevity. Worked well on dash, fairing pockets etc as well. Good luck with the bike, hope it treats you well.
Dennis

mgrs 2.jpg mgrs 1.jpg 2003.png

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
From the picture it looks similar to the grey trim plastic on the ST1100. If it is, try rubbing some olive oil on it. Probably won't remove any stains, but might darken it enough so they're not as visible. I heard about olive oil here a couple years ago, and it seems to work well on my 1100 for removing the faded look. I apply it once/twice a year, it eventually fades back over time.

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Hi Todd, A sad story but glad you got a good deal. The old saying about being 'afraid she'll sell the toys for what I told her I paid' may not be such an urban legend after all. It is/was probably a tough time .....

I checked pictures and it looks like the trim in question might have been originally black. Before thinking about paint I would try this. My 04 was showing some of the gray weathering/discoloration. No experience with longevity. Worked well on dash, fairing pockets etc as well. Good luck with the bike, hope it treats you well.
Dennis

mgrs 2.jpg mgrs 1.jpg
Thanks for the info...I'll give it a try.

And yes it was a tough thing for her to do. He had used the bike as a long distance work commuter for a while, took it to "Burning Man" three times, and she said part of the reason she sold it to me was, "you called it "your toy" just like he did." Ya just never know what triggers you will hit during negotiations. She was quite emotional when the deal came down. I told her she could visit it anytime and if she is "Jones-ing" for a ride to just call.
She is excited to get updates as I clean it up.

ToddC

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm starting to see a pattern here, you might need to seek some help! ANYONE that would buy more than one (okay Two) ST1300s must need some sort of help!

BTW, there's a 04 ST1300 down here that a guy's trying to sell for $2,600 with 94K on it. I'M SO TEMPTED...but I know my wife would kill me, especially after us buying the new Highlander!
Besides, I wouldn't know where to park it! :eek:4:

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I'm starting to see a pattern here, you might need to seek some help! ANYONE that would buy more than one (okay Two) ST1300s must need some sort of help!

BTW, there's a 04 ST1300 down here that a guy's trying to sell for $2,600 with 94K on it. I'M SO TEMPTED...but I know my wife would kill me, especially after us buying the new Highlander!
Besides, I wouldn't know where to park it! :eek:4:
"Life is short......buy the motorcycle" saw this somewhere here..........;-)

PS there is no hope for us Supra ......

T

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
"Life is short......buy the motorcycle" saw this somewhere here..........;-)

PS there is no hope for us Supra ......

T
Yeah, and my life would be shorter if I did buy it! LOL

And you are right Todd, there is no hope! :D

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Nice find, Todd. Have fun getting it up to snuff. Find good homes for your extra STeeds. :)

Try Aerospace 303 on that plastic. Expensive but worth it.

John
via iPhone 6

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Thanks John and Irish, I get a kick out of cleaning them up and fixin stuff.

ToddC

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I would just clean the plastic real good and paint them as the plastic is faded from the sun.

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I would just clean the plastic real good and paint them as the plastic is faded from the sun.
That is looking like my only option other than buying new........

So far these are the things I have found to be in need of some Love.....

New back tire
right mirror missing
thermostat stuck
missing only one fairing fastener
lower plastic stained
new oil
new diff oil
top off rear shock preload oil
lots o dirt
front fork seal bad on right side
needs warranty work done

I'm sure I'll find more...

Todd
2003 ST1300 006 (Small).jpg2003 ST1300 009 (Small).jpgcheck out the exact miles are 77,000 when I picked it up.

Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
Congrats on a great find, Todd! As long as you can squeeze by all the bikes to get from the bedroom to the kitchen, you don't have a problem!

Is this going to be an Eastside or Westside bike? Or are you going to leave it on the summit of the pass as a compromise? :-D

Bike
2010 ST1300
I had some scratches in the paint on my mirror covers and side cases. On a whim I stopped at my auto body shop and got a mild compound for buffing out new paint. It worked very well for me and took all but the deepest scratches out. Followed that up with some wax.

Since these buffing compounds are abrasives, I would use them as a last resort - though they do remove the topmost oxidized layer of paint if no clear coat was used. As you rub the stuff, it breaks down to finer and finer particles, ending up polishing the paint. Meguiars makes several of these in varying degrees of fineness - they call them 'cleaners', ending up with a 'swirl remover' (very fine) and then a 'polish'. Of course, you can just go to any auto parts store and buy generic 3M or other name brand 'buffing compound' and try that for half the price.

Good luck!

STripper

Brian
Bike
2005 ST1300A
Is this going to be an Eastside or Westside bike? Or are you going to leave it on the summit of the pass as a compromise? :-D
I wonder the same. It appears that Todd has a bike for Bothell and another for Seven Bays. Perhaps there is a new property or residence in Todd's future for this bike. :)

Todd: It's a 2003 with ~77,000 miles. Save the money for paint and spend it on gasoline! JMHO.

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Thanks everyone...

The paint is in great shape...the mirror itself is gone...replaced with a flexible mylar type stuff. Anyone got a right side mirror?? :bow1:

And no, it is not ABS...so the windshield is fixed but is an after market larger one.

AS far as where this one will live....it stays in Bothell.
I just sold a piece of property, so no new ones. I'm trying to get rid of responsibilities so I can Ride more ! :)

Next Summer all bikes will live in their only home in Eastern WA......

ToddC

Top Bottom