Something to watch if buying an ST1100 ABS

Norm

Vendor
Bike
KLR650
STOC #
The ABS1 (1995 and older ST1100) modulators which come for repair are increasingly showing that someone has mis-adjusted the limit switch in order to avoid having a trouble code set. This,of course hides that the modulator is not operating.

If buying an ST1100 with ABS/TCS it may be advisable to consider this potential since the ABS will not function and a new modulator costs around US$3,000.00.

The up side is that they can almost always be repaired.

If someone would like more information as to how to perform a check for this, let me know.

The limit switch is under the white plastic cap on the top of the modulator however adjusting is not a simple task. I strongly recommend forcing the rear ABS to operate before purchase. The reasons I advocate forcing the rear to deploy are, IMO:
1) Locking the rear tire is less likely to be hazardous than is locking the front.
2) The rear ABS will not operate unless the front has passed the self test.

This will not eliminate a mis-adjusted front limit switch but will cover most other conditions which might have been hidden.

The way to absolutely conclude that the front is working, for the average rider, is to force it into ABS.

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
I just pulled the entire ABS and linked brake system off the 1997 ST1100 ABS model I'm parting out.
What a complex mess. I think I much prefer my WR250R, RC51 and Grom braking systems that let me modulate braking separately on each wheel as much or as little as I like.

Should I break it up and sell pieces or does it hold value as a complete set? Anyone interested in it complete or parts?

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

Last edited:

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
The ABS1 (1995 and older ST1100) modulators which come for repair are increasingly showing that someone has mis-adjusted the limit switch in order to avoid having a trouble code set. This,of course hides that the modulator is not operating.

If buying an ST1100 with ABS/TCS it may be advisable to consider this potential since the ABS will not function and a new modulator costs around US$3,000.00.

The up side is that they can almost always be repaired.

If someone would like more information as to how to perform a check for this, let me know.

The limit switch is under the white plastic cap on the top of the modulator however adjusting is not a simple task. I strongly recommend forcing the rear ABS to operate before purchase. The reasons I advocate forcing the rear to deploy are, IMO:
1) Locking the rear tire is less likely to be hazardous than is locking the front.
2) The rear ABS will not operate unless the front has passed the self test.

This will not eliminate a mis-adjusted front limit switch but will cover most other conditions which might have been hidden.

The way to absolutely conclude that the front is working, for the average rider, is to force it into ABS.
Hey Norm
I think I need that info, have a 94 with a front modulator that pulses intermittently while riding.
Both Front and rear ABS still work . I'm thinking it is slightly out of adjustment.
What are your thoughts?

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
It will cycle while sitting still. So that discounts the Tire size theory, but could be gap or dirty connectors.
I think it will turn out to be a minor adjustment in the limit switch. I hope. but don't know where to look.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Luv that youse knowledgeable are keeping these threads alive. Happy to say my 01 is still working as designed at 207,000 miles. :D

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
It will cycle while sitting still. So that discounts the Tire size theory, but could be gap or dirty connectors.
I think it will turn out to be a minor adjustment in the limit switch. I hope. but don't know where to look.
How often does it cycle? There is a self check cycle that the ABS systems runs automatically as part of it's normal operation, but I forget the frequency. I noticed it happening on my ST1100 but on the 1300 they seem to have made the self-check cycle less obvious.

Top Bottom