Rear brake caliper bracket ST1100 AT ABS 1996

Bike
ST1100 1996 ABS
Hi guys, I am in the process of replacing the rear brake pads and when reassembling I noticed that the rear caliper bracket was completely lose and wobbly on the bracket stop bolt. On closer inspection I noticed that the hole in the bracket was oval.
Is there not some collar/sleeve that makes the stop bolt a snug fit or is the bracket worn?
Any help would be welcome!
James

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
I haven't looked at mine to see if it is oval, but I doubt it. Sounds like it is worn. Only another ABS II will interchange with it ("96-'02).

Make sure the stop bolt is lined up with the hole before tightening the axle. Tighten the axle. The pressure of the axle clamping every thing together will probably hold it. Check it after a few miles to verify it isn't moving.

OP
OP
Bike
ST1100 1996 ABS
Thanks for that. If oval is normal, is the bracket supposed to wobble about on the stop bolt? If so it seems a bit Heath Robinson! Would have thought it would have a sleeve.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I'm not an engineer, but those at Honda designed a bit of fore and aft 'play'/movement in the whole brake caliper assembly for a reason.

"Heath Robinson"...?

John
via iPhone 6

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
"Heath Robinson"...?
I Wiki'd it for you:
William Heath Robinson (31 May 1872 – 13 September 1944) was an English cartoonist and illustrator best known for drawings of ridiculously complicated machines for achieving simple objectives.[1]

In the U.K., the term "Heath Robinson" entered the language during the 1914–1918 First World War as a description of any unnecessarily complex and implausible contrivance, much as "Rube Goldberg machines" came to be used in the U.S. from the 1920s onwards as a term for similar efforts. "Heath Robinson contraption" is perhaps more often used in relation to temporary fixes using ingenuity and whatever is to hand, often string and tape, or unlikely cannibalisations. Its continuing popularity was undoubtedly linked to Second World War Britain's shortages and the need to "make do and mend".

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Kinda wanted to hear it from James, but thanks Kent.

Two peoples, separated by an ocean and a common language. :)

John

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
The calliper bracket shouldn't be loose and wobbly - it is tightened very firmly when the axle bolt is torqued.
Yes, but in case of a binding/seizing rear calliper it still needs to flex... thus the oval bore for the stop-bolt.
If that would be a precise bore, the bracket could remain stuck in a misaligned, "bend" position achieved due brake-forces, creating further havoc on the already lame calliper...
To maintain that movement/flexibility the stop-bolt must remain free of corrosion or wear marks, thus keeping that exposed end lubricated and preserved with copper-slip, Moly or alike is advised.

OP
OP
Bike
ST1100 1996 ABS
Wow, thanks guys, more explanation than I could have hoped for, really appreciated.
As for Heath Robinson, I apologise profusely for my assumption and my lack of attention to detail in noticing you are primarily not from dear old Blighty (mother England)! I was brought up with the expression and as correctly defined, it was mainly used during and after WWll as for the need to make and mend and invent things that will 'do the job'. Perhaps I will be responsible for adding, what I think is a great expression, to the vocabulary of my cousins across the pond!
All the tips I am learning on this site are invaluable as I bought the bike cheaply as a non runner, I have not even ridden it yet! But, I feel an affinity towards this machine and have decided she is a keeper so as I learn her intimate details I'm sure you will hear from me more!
Thanks guys
James

Top Bottom