St1100 when twos up catches Center stand

Hey guys
whilst riding my 2003 st1100 with my girl (a combined weight of 25 stone) I've experienced the Center stand coming in contact with the road whilst leaning (not excessively) around corners.
I've changed the mono shock for a replacement stock shock an got it on the stiffest setting but still experiencing the same problem any suggestions gratefully appreciated
cheers

Bike
2010 ST1300
The easiest thing to check would be the spring that holds the stand in the fully up position. If it has weakened with age or stretched, the stand might be 'floating' downward over bumps or maybe just sagging enough to drag. Either simply replace it, or compare how firmly the stand is held up to another bike. The weight you have on the bike (350 lbs) is not overloading it, assuming you don't have a couple of anchors stored in the side cases that have not been mentioned.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
If it has weakened with age or stretched, the stand might be 'floating' downward over bumps or maybe just sagging enough to drag.
+1...
When hitting bumps while leaned, the main-stand can get driven down, banging on the tarmac with the corners of the bottom plates (not the pedal lever, yet... one needs to be really ambitious for that...).
Especially with two up (+ luggage) since spring the in the OEM shock isn't among the firmest to begin with...

Another item to check is the total length of your after-market shock; some do have adjustable lugs (secured by a counter nut, like my Wilbers), which might be screwed in fully to reduce packing size or such.
Prior installation I placed the removed OEM part and the Wilbers side by side and "corrected" the length of the Wilbers shock to the uncompressed original.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Grab the center stand and move it up and down. At rest is it up against the frame or does it hang down at all. Push down on it. Is there firm resistance or does it drop down easily.

What tires are you running and are they the OEM size? Measure the height from the front and rear axles to the ground and at some point higher up on the bike at both the front and back to the ground. Maybe you can compare those numbers to other 1100s here for comparison of static height.

Is your front suspension still OEM? If it's in need of fork oil or fresh springs that might be part or all of the problem. Are the fork tubes raised at all in the triple tree?

And… um… er- Is everybody being honest about their weight? LOL!

Top Bottom