T30GT EVO Now Available

Initially offered in limited sizes the new T-30 EVO is available in GT and ST1300 specific sizes. I doubt many would take exception to the feel and grip of the original T-30GT but rear tire wear is abysmal under certain riding conditions. Based on my experience with the standard T-30 EVO I think there is a ray of hope with the new GT EVO. I have T30 EVOs on my other 3 bikes now and they have proven to be a real upgrade to the standard T30. They have improved steering feel, feedback, wet grip, dry grip and longevity over an already really good T-30. The longevity is the big surprise so far. Part of Bridgestone's ad-speak mentions an enlarged contact patch so this may explain the better wear I am seeing.

I also read where the German Motorrad Magazine just claimed the new T030 EVO beat out the Pilot Road 4 in wet grip so they may be able to compete head-to-head with Michelin on all levels now. IMHO the Michelins owned Bridgestone for wear and wet grip while the Bstones were a better dry road sport tire (purely subjective, YMMV).

KEB

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have a pair of Evos ready to install on the NC700X when the OEM Dunlops are done. It's too late for the ST on this tire set - I just put a set of regular T30 GTs on it. I really like the T30s as they were for my riding style so additional wet grip and wear can't be a bad thing.

OP
OP
I have a pair of Evos ready to install on the NC700X when the OEM Dunlops are done. It's too late for the ST on this tire set - I just put a set of regular T30 GTs on it. I really like the T30s as they were for my riding style so additional wet grip and wear can't be a bad thing.
The EVOs are the best tire I have used on the CB and the NC. I had a blast yesterday doing over 100 miles of Dragon runs and they were nothing but perfect the entire time. You will love them Dave.

Kimball

st1300doug

My T-30's were a total disappointment in mileage. 5300 miles. I've NEVER got less than 7K on a rear tire. Shoot- I got 8,500 on a BT-023 GT. It cost less too. Seems kinda shady?

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
My T-30's were a total disappointment in mileage. 5300 miles. I've NEVER got less than 7K on a rear tire. Shoot- I got 8,500 on a BT-023 GT. It cost less too. Seems kinda shady?
There are many variables to tire wear. I got 10,462 miles out of the first T30GT rear tire. I got nearly that much out of a PR3 but to me the Bridgestones feel better, handle better, are more communicative than the Michelins.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Opposite for me. I'm on my second rear and same front and they just don't feel as comfortable in the corners as I did with the Michelins.

Bike
Tiger 800
Last September a friend and I both put on new T30s. He put the EVO on his Kawasaki Versys 650 and I put the regular T30s on my NT700. We both rode to the west coast and back and his tires proved a little better than mine in terms of ride quality and cornering. Tire ware was very similar. Ya, I know they are different bikes, but we rode the same roads on the same days at the same speeds on bikes of similar weight and horsepower.

Even though the T30s are a bit less expensive, I believe I'll go back to PR4s next time. My first rear PR4 yielded about 12K miles, but the second one only about half that. Another NT rider experieced the same thing on his second PR4. Michelin had no explaination for either of us.

OP
OP
Last September a friend and I both put on new T30s. He put the EVO on his Kawasaki Versys 650 and I put the regular T30s on my NT700. We both rode to the west coast and back and his tires proved a little better than mine in terms of ride quality and cornering. Tire ware was very similar. Ya, I know they are different bikes, but we rode the same roads on the same days at the same speeds on bikes of similar weight and horsepower.

Even though the T30s are a bit less expensive, I believe I'll go back to PR4s next time. My first rear PR4 yielded about 12K miles, but the second one only about half that. Another NT rider experieced the same thing on his second PR4. Michelin had no explaination for either of us.
Great observation regarding the same roads at the same speed on the same days as those bikes should have similar tire life if ridden similarly. I have figured out along the way that no two people will agree on tires and I completely understand why some like Michelins and others like Bridgestones. Tires will always be somewhat of a subjective opinion and it would be hard to find two tires that differ more in feel than the PR4 and T30GT. I have used both and shredded the soft compound side tread off each one to the cord in either 2,000 miles (PR4GT) or 1,750 miles (T-30GT). On a mountain tour from TN to ME and back I got right at 5K on a T30GT rear and I was very happy with that. I do think the EVO will prove to be a better wearing tire for the sporting types but that is speculation. I almost never use any where near 50% of my center tread before the sides are bald so I would kill for a 3,000 mile tire. I run around the Deals Gap area for the majority of my miles so not much straight up and down.

The Michelins squirm and flex under heavy cornering loads but they have never let go on me and I also wear a lot of their center tread. The Bridgestones never budge no matter how extreme the corner load and they have much quicker turn in than any Michelin that fits the ST. Some people are put off by the directness and ultra-light steering of the Bridgestones and that is why they love Michelins. I can definitely go faster, more comfortably on the T30GT than I can the PR4GT but the difference is not that great. I have a VFR friend who loves Michelins even though he is clearly quicker and smoother on Dunlops.

One thing I always consider is that better grip usually leads to quicker wear due to quicker pace, not just because of the softer compound.

Best news is there is a lot of great tires to choose from. Life is short, ride what makes you feel good.

KEB

Last edited:
OP
OP
BTW the front single compound T-30GT is above reproach for me. I can get one front to every two rears. I wear my fronts out faster or as fast as my rears on my other bikes. Great tire that never cups and only feathers near the end of its life.

KEB

Bike
Tiger 800
Great Thread KEB

The difference between the PR4 and the T30 was very appearant when I took the Michelin off and mounted up the T30s. The T30 are very stiff and I'm guessing the GTs are stiffer yet. So I'm guessing that's why the T30s are more stabile in agrassive riding and the Michelins are more comfortable in touring. And Yes, tires are very subjective.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
For me the PR3s when pressed always required steering corrections to follow a constant arc. They never lack for outright grip they just moved around a lot. Having had my ST nearly 10 years I started on the 1st gen Pilot Roads, moved to PR2s and 3s as they came along. Michelins even 10 years ago were slower steering and more vague than Bridgestone BT020s then 023s when they came along 6 years ago. However, the PRs did give nearly 50% more mileage than the Avon Storms I favored back then. In the beginning of the recession in 2009 or so I switched back to Michelins in search of more mileage than the 6000 I averaged on Avons and 023s. By chance I fitted a PR3 front and PR2 rear one time and found I liked that combo very much. What I thought was the front 3 squirming was really the back tire and the 3/2 combo cured the understeer/oversteer complaints I had. Of course the 2 was getting hard to find by then and I moved back to BT23s and now T30s. I found these squidgy characteristics were also found on my 2012 NC700. I pulled the rear PR3 off that bike long before it was worn and replaced it with a Pilot Power to address the understeer/oversteer on that bike.

Tires are very subjective to riders and many like Michelins and that's great for all concerned. I don't doubt their preference.

Bike
2006 ST
I got 8,500 miles out of this T30GT before I picked up that nail. I'm positive I could have gotten another 2,000 miles before replacement but then, I ride like a "Papa"! I have another on the way for $118.00.

IMG_0820.jpg

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Neither. Bar Keepers Friend. After cleaning your pots and pans it also works to return brown hued ST1300 stainless mufflers to sparkling clean. No rubbing. :)

st1300doug

Yeah....I like the grip and all....just....under NORMAL riding.....I feel ANY tire brand should get at least 7K !

Top Bottom