New G6 H4 with SHIELD is now availible - no glare no scatter.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Supra,,, would the fans and their controllers not just get the modulated voltage during daylight hours ?? Not sure what it is,,, but lets say it might be 14v pulsing down to 8v and back,,,, but not a complete on/off (although the led emitters will go on/off). I hope someone does some testing on these latest units,,, because they look really good. But,, there is no way I would give up my modulator for them. This LED tech seems to be evolving rapidly. Likely different manufacturers innovating to grab more market share. Likely only a matter of time till a big name in lighting buys up one of them,, and begins to market at name-brand pricing. I would like to get mine before that happens,,,, Cat'
Even if they go down in power and not off/on, I can hear them modulating with the lights. That's why I think it will be an issue. We'll see.

I bought my second set that I'll be mounting on my 2012. At the same time I add the modulator.

OP
OP
spiderman302
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Modulating the fan will not hurt it. There is enough air flow where the fan is that heat will not be a problem. hearing the fans may just be annoying but it reminds you that you are running your modulator.

nerSTeve

Vendor
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Install was easy enough. Made the mod to get them level. BAM these are nice and white bright! Can't wait to get my new under mirror lights later today and get those installed.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
From Honda it is a 45/45 watt proprietary bulb. The ST1100 came from Honda using the same bulb as was fitted in the ST1300 so any discussions about ST1300 headlight bulbs can also be applied to the 1100 including all of the above. The only exception is that the 1100 requires bulb shims when an H4 bulb is being fitted.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300A
Thanks to all that posted earlier and made this thread so helpful. I did my lights today and have a couple of pics to add to help others.

Pics 1,2,3 show how the new LED parts and the OEM protective rubber boot fit together. I was having a hard time picturing it when it was being described in earlier posts. You can't insert it fully assembled like this but this is how it will end up in the end - and the grey piece slips further into the rubber housing (my pic does not show it fully slid together).

Pics 4 & 5 show the tabs that others had referred to, I didn't know what the tabs were until I had the lights and tried the install myself. From the overhead pics (the OEM bulb is on the top in the pics) you can see that the 3 tabs that stick out from the LEDs locking ring do not match the 3 Honda OEM bulb tabs, so it won't fit in the headlight housing when you try to insert the new bulb. Second pic shows what it looks like when I cut off the 2 smaller tabs with tin snips. Then it fits into the bulb housing easily.

The best assembly advise that I can give is as follows (in this order). I did the job without removing any fairing, I just turned the handle bars side to side and reached in.
1. Undo the lightbulb connection, remove the protective rubber boot, undo the springy metal retaining clip, and pull the old bulb.
2. Take the new LED locking ring, cut off the 2 smallest tabs, and insert that piece ALONE into the headlight housing and attach the springy metal retaining clip.
3. Then put on the protective rubber boot,
4. Then slip in the new LED bulb/fan assembly. With a little gentle rotating and wiggling the bulb and fan assembly can be slipped forward into place (in the rubber boot housing) and then rotated gently by hand to adjust it to level. Look at the bulb from the outside of the headlight to see if it's level.
5. Then connect the electrical connection and zip-tie the ballast and wires out of the way, still allowing the steering to turn smoothly without binding on anything. My bike has a headlight modulator and it works great with these new bulbs

Hope this is helpful to someone. Good luck,
Al

Attachments

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I changed my headlight to LED today and I'd like to change the tiny corner lights beside the main headlight too.

Does anyone have any bulb suggestions to turn these white?

Thanks, Al
I got some LED's at the local auto parts store. They are 194 bulbs I think. They had several colors to choose from.

Rod

OP
OP
spiderman302
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
I replaced my marker lights with this led from superbrightleds.com -WLED-CWHP15-TAC. But before I installed them, I coated it with several coats of clear fingernail polish to help glue the small circuit boards together and protect it from being shaken apart. They match the color of the new Led headlights.

There is also a brighter version WLED-WHP10

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I have installed the G6's from Evitek but I don't seem to have the sharp cutoff that I expected with the new ones. I have fiddled with them and it doesn't seem to improve. Tell what I am doing wrong!
Thanks
Rod

Last edited:
OP
OP
spiderman302
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
drrod:

you need to take some pictures to show us what you have. light pattern on the wall and how the lights are mounted through the front lens would help.

Is the light mounted upside down? the wire off the back of the fan should be on the bottom. the shields should be under the leds. You removed the bottom two tabs?

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I will do some checking and get some pictures. Near as I can tell, they are mounted correctly. ie. reflector on the bottom. Bent the 2 bottom tabs out of the way. Wire out the bottom.
Rod

Last edited:
Bike
2008 Goldwing GL1800

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
I replaced my marker lights with this led from superbrightleds.com -WLED-CWHP15-TAC. But before I installed them, I coated it with several coats of clear fingernail polish to help glue the small circuit boards together and protect it from being shaken apart. They match the color of the new Led headlights.

There is also a brighter version WLED-WHP10
If I get the WLEDCWHP15-TAC, which of the two "whites" is a better color match for our G4 Evitek headlights? The cool white, or warm white?

Thanks,
Joel

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Here is a picture of my light pattern. Distance is 20 feet. The bulbs appear to be installed correctly. ie. reflectors on the bottom, wire out of the bottom, etc. It almost appears that the left light pattern is 180 degrees out. eg. for an English pattern.

i am going to disconnect them one at a time and it will be easier to evaluate.

Rod

Attachments

Top Bottom