New G6 H4 with SHIELD is now availible - no glare no scatter.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
hoowasat said:
From below. Drop the fender extension & you should see everything you need.
No that's what you need to do to get the tail light bulbs. The turn signal bulbs are easily accessed from under the seat. Maybe you can get to them by dropping the fender extension but it's a lot of unnecessary work.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
No that's what you need to do to get the tail light bulbs. The turn signal bulbs are easily accessed from under the seat. Maybe you can get to them by dropping the fender extension but it's a lot of unnecessary work.
I'll take your word for it. Been a long time since I've been into the rear bulbs. Thx!

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Well folks, the job is complete...now onto the next farkle project, although I am not sure what that will be as yet. BTW I rode in dark last night and I am very impressed with the LEDS...
IMG_0386.JPGIMG_0388.JPGIMG_0392.JPGIMG_0396.JPGIMG_0399.JPG

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
switchback LED turn signal bulbs with clear lenses.
+1 If you haven't done SwitchBacks for the turnsignals that 'should' be the next one. I prefer the clear lenses for a modern look but also believe you get better conspicuity at a greater distance than with amber running lights.

That's quite a bag o' LEDs there. Are those 194s for the position lights? Or...?

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I looked and switchbacks are $$$ holy! anyways yes the bag of LED's are 194s bought cheap of Amazon.
Switchbacks aren't expensive. $30 for the clear lens, LED bulbs, and a $10 flasher and you're done. Check out the Switchback thread.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Switchbacks aren't expensive. $30 for the clear lens, LED bulbs, and a $10 flasher and you're done.
I see that. Very good. What i had found before was a link that was on Ebay for $1100. It was either including all the plastic or ? I cant recall but either way that is about to get done, although wont be shipped out until next week.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
What i had found before was a link that was on Ebay for $1100.
That's not the actual price. I contacted that seller and apparently he bumps the price up when he's OOS then lowers it when he has some. Apparently his idea is to maintain the listing while discouraging orders that he can't fill.

When I did my turn signals the lenses alone were $25 and the LED flasher $8. My LEDs were pricey at $60 a pair. But I tried a couple of other sources and was disappointed.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I bought these LED headlamps quite a while ago and never installed them. When my ST1300 was new I replaced the headlamps with 55/60 halogens. I bought the LED's in anticipation of the infamous premature left headlamp failure I have read so much about. I reasoned that I would just change them for the LED's rather than replacing the failed halogen. Well the left headlamp has never failed so I just went a head and replaced them with the LED's. As a quick review I think that these are great. I prefer the light colour much better than the halogen and they are at least as bright if not brighter and they project down the road just as well if not better.

I read a reply to someone by Spderman302 somewhere in this post stating that properly installed the wiring harness that exists the back of the fan should be at the 6 o'clock position. Both of my G6 H4 LED's are exactly in this position. When I look through the headlamp lens at the LED bulbs the tower that the LED's are affixed to is not perfectly vertical and as such the LED's are not perfectly horizontal in the reflector. They are pointing about halfway between 12 and 1 o'clock. I removed and re-installed them to make sure that the headlamp base tab was positioned correctly at 12 o'clock (it is) and to be sure that the LED bulb assembly is properly locked in to the fan assembly- the little nibs are locked in properly. I am sure that the bulbs are in correctly and properly seated in the correct position. I thought it rather strange that the tower is not vertical (and therefore the LED's not horizontal) since it would seem that the LED's should be perfectly horizontal to get the proper light pattern out of the reflector. I tried them at night and the pattern seems to be quite good but I haven't put them up against a big flat wall to really take a good look. I have done about 1, 500 miles with them including several hours of night riding and no one has flashed me so I guess they can't be that bad.

You can see the off-set from vertical in the pictures below. You can also see in the pictures that the flat part of the base at the bottom in not horizontal either- it is off-set in the opposite direction which also seems strange to me. There is a little play between the 12 o'clock tab on the bulb base and the notch in the bike's headlamp assembly but if I rotate it towards straight the LED's will be even further off-set.

Here is my question. Is this normal? Or should the LED tower be vertical making the LED's horizontal in the reflector? I know quite a few of you have installed these so I am curious- are yours like this?

P9300001.jpg P9300002.jpg

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I believe the 'proper' fit/alignment as you have done provides a 'Euro' alignment with the right side elevated. This is to allow the right side of the road to be illuminated without blinding oncoming drivers on the left side.

spidey mentions having to turn the bulb in its fitting to get a horizontal beam. I presume this puts the LEDs in vertical orientation giving you a flat beam.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010

ECE beam pattern

DOT beam pattern

This is a representation of the DOT vs ECE beams. The 'uptick' of the right (or left for RHD countries) is properly done with headlight lenses but in this fitment orienting the LEDs is the only option.

It's only a guess on my part as to the angled beam as currently delivered by Evitek.

OP
OP
spiderman302
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
The H4 in an automobile headlight the top tab is straight up making a 15 degree up flare on the right side of the road which makes the ECE beam pattern mentioned in the above post for right side USA drivers.

In a motorcylce head lamp the tab is off set 15 degrees (at 11 o'clock viewing from the front of the bike) to remove this up tilt and make the beam flat so that one headlamp can be used for left and right sided driving.
but in making the H4 flat there is really a 7 degree rise on both sides of the road but this light gets corrected by the mirror. notice that center horizontal line of the mirror is tilted down 7 degrees on each side.

It is a bit confusing but you have to realize that the mirror reverses everything. light that falls on the top of the mirror will hit the road, light that falls on the right side of the mirror ends up on the other side of the road.

Evitek over compensated the tilt to 20 degrees so in mounting the bulb there is a 5 degree offset as you have noticed. I have just been able to twist the bulb a bit and make the beam flat with out breaking anything.
if you leave the slight tilt in the bulb the signs on the right side of the road will light up more. But the light pattern will be better if the bulb is twisted level.

The original 3800 bulb did not have the twist in it so it was in the wrong direction putting a bunch of light into the eyes of opposing drivers.... a really bad thing,.... unless you ride in England or Japan or....

STOC #
In an effort to reduce the load on my 28 Amp alternator, I have finally gotten around to installing the Evitek LEDS I purchased more than a month ago. The LEDs appear to be brighter and much whiter than the standard halogens that were in there. I used shims purchased online and cut off the appropriate tabs with a Dremel cutoff wheel. The information I acquired here made this upgrade much easier. TY Spiderman and others in this thread.

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
I ordered and installed my led bulbs many months and miles ago. I just noticed that this thread now has over 50,000 views! I would like to recognise the significant impact that Spiderman has had on this and other riding communities with the development of this bulb. Well done Sir and thank you. Now ... if I only had a nickel for every time that someone .....

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I would like to recognise the significant impact that Spiderman has had on this and other riding communities with the development of this bulb. Well done Sir and thank you.
+1! There have been prior posts and threads about brighter lighting but without the focus on putting light were it needs to be and not where it shouldn't be. And developing LED lighting for motorcycle use was huge!

The G6 is virtually plug and play and at a very reasonable price. This made it easy for me to switch. I should probably do the same for my car!

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
Re: New G6 H4 LED bulb with SHIELD is now availible - no glare no scatter.

Does anyone know if this will fit a 2013 HD Street glide? A buddy of mine has a 13 & 15 and is always commenting on my lights. Thought it might be a good Christmas gift.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bike
ST1100
I just got back from at 6,700+ mile trip and the Eviteks worked like a champ with no problems. And I did hit some pretty nasty 'frost' heaves along the way and they never faltered.
Hi Uncle Phil,
So, you'd recommend these headlamp bulbs for an ST1100 or is there a newer next best thing for an ST1100?

Thanks!
Extemp.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
So far so good on all three bikes with the Eviteks. There's always something 'new' coming out, but I've been real pleased with these. I do recommend removing the headlight assemble for the install, especially if you have a ABSII ST1100. The infamous 'wire headlight lock' has to be bent just so in order for it not to press against the fan assembly and off center the bulbs. It is much easier and quicker to do it on the bench than on the bike IMHO.

Top Bottom