New G6 H4 with SHIELD is now availible - no glare no scatter.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Did they work with the modulator? Inquiring minds would like to know...
I haven't tried them yet. I'm replacing all the coolant lines and a few other things on my 2010 and I'll be putting the lights on it for testing. might be a couple more weeks before I can get it back on the road since I'm having to wait for some parts to come in.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I keep asking for the Honda plates but have not gotten an answer yet.
All of the amazing work that you have done on these bulbs has pretty much sold me on them- having the Honda base plates would just be icing on the cake. Did they ever start producing these bulbs with the Honda base plates or are they planning to?

I am seeing Evitek G6 H4 advertised all over the internet from over $60 USD all the way down to $30 USD a pair. From the descriptions and pictures they all seem to be the same bulb having the shield modifications you developed. Are they all the same? Any reason not to buy it where we find it the cheapest?

Bike
2006 ST1300A
All of the amazing work that you have done on these bulbs has pretty much sold me on them- having the Honda base plates would just be icing on the cake. Did they ever start producing these bulbs with the Honda base plates or are they planning to?
With such a low volume of vehicles using our style plates, I doubt they would go into regular production. Besides, clipping off the two offending tabs is probably the easiest part of the installation process.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Agreed it is not a big deal. I have done just that on every bulb I have ever installed on all of the ST's that I have owned. Since he has already asked them about it and since there is already another manufacturer who has agreed to and is providing LED bulbs with the Honda specific base plates there is certainly no harm in asking what ever happened.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Has anyone experienced a failure yet, and was it the left-side bulb?
I have a set, not installed yet. Says 10,000 hour life. At 10mph average that is 100,000 miles. I doubt anyone will have how long do they last quite yet. The needed voltage to run is 8 - 32V, so the dreaded higher voltage assumption on the left light should not have too much of an effect on these lights.

Total speculation at this time on my part.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Total speculation at this time on my part.
But it does make a lot of sense. IIRC didn't somebody mention adding a resistor to the left side to improve the life span? Anyway as you said the LED's operating range is well outside the voltages it will see.

OP
OP
spiderman302
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
I had two halogen bulbs go out on the left side. That is what got me started looking for a LED replacement bulb. The current regulator keeps the LEDs at a constant brightness and will prevent any "surges" that may have taken out the left hand bulb. If the failure was really caused by vibration the LED's are immune from that. The LED bulb should last about 2 million miles. So the question now is how many bikes will you wear out with one set of LED bulbs... I guess I am going to have to follow SupraSabre and get a few spare ST1300's...

I re-asked about the Honda adapter plate and color temperature.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
The LED bulb should last about 2 million miles.
OK, but will the cooling fans last that long? They may be the weak link.

I re-asked about the Honda adapter plate ...
Snipping off the bottom two tabs takes care of the fitment issue ... same as when using any other non-Honda halogen headlight bulb. So I doubt a manufacturer would consider making a separate supply to satisfy such a small demand, especially when the work-around is so minor.

OP
OP
spiderman302
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
There are no brushes in the fan motor. The only part that could fail is the bearing from dust or dirt. It is more likely that the fan will out live the LED emitter...

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
There are no brushes in the fan motor. The only part that could fail is the bearing from dust or dirt. It is more likely that the fan will out live the LED emitter...
That's good to know since one of my concerns installing it with a headlight modulator is the fact that they will be cycle on-off with the modulator. I will be installing them in the next couple of weeks or so..(I decided to put them into my 2010, which is getting new coolant lines and such, so I haven't installed them yet.)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
So I doubt a manufacturer would consider making a separate supply to satisfy such a small demand, especially when the work-around is so minor.
There is already one LED bulb manufacturer that has an "ST1300" bulb that's a direct PnP fit. There's a base bulb and the manufacture provides the H4 or P43t or one other base I think. The ST isn't the only vehicle that uses that bulb.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #

I am seeing Evitek G6 H4 advertised all over the internet from over $60 USD all the way down to $30 USD a pair. From the descriptions and pictures they all seem to be the same bulb having the shield modifications you developed. Are they all the same? Any reason not to buy it where we find it the cheapest?
With such a low volume of vehicles using our style plates, I doubt they would go into regular production. Besides, clipping off the two offending tabs is probably the easiest part of the installation process.
Here is one H4 LED bulb that you can order for the ST1300 http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/3800-Lumen-H4-LED-Headlight-bulb-_p_83.html

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
That's good to know since one of my concerns installing it with a headlight modulator is the fact that they will be cycle on-off with the modulator. I will be installing them in the next couple of weeks or so..(I decided to put them into my 2010, which is getting new coolant lines and such, so I haven't installed them yet.)
Thanks, will be interesting to see how the LED driver board plays with the 17%/100% modulator output.

OP
OP
spiderman302
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
I installed them in my 2010, which is still on my operating table (HF Lift) but I tested them out and the modulate just fine. So the real test will be to see if the fans can handle the pulse. Sure do make a difference.
Glad that you got the modulator working. I tried pulsing the light manually and it flashed so I knew that it should work with a modulator. The fan will be fine and will just run at a slightly slower speed. There are no brushes and the commutation is controlled with transistors (FETS) so the fan will be fine.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Re: New G6 H4 LED bulb with SHIELD is now availible - no glare no scatter.

I ordered some lights tonight. Thanks for doing all this work to make them available to us.

Joel

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
First test with the LEDs, using them with a modulator and THEY WORK GREAT!

The issue I have had with the SDC Modulators is that they use the power from the left headlight, so while the headlights are modulating, they are a bit on the dim side. Because the LEDs don't require as much power to light them up, the headlights during modulation are much brighter.

Fantastic is all I can say! I'm going to test them out a little more, but if they are durable, like they should be, these will be great! I'll be picking up another set for my 2012 in a week or two!

:woo:

Top Bottom