Spring rates for Racetech ugrade front and rear?

OP
OP
Speedyswede
Thank you guys for the input. I think I go for the 23,2kg/mm spring to start with. I don't want to loose to much of the solo riding comfort. And it seems to be fairly easy to replace the spring to a stiffer if its still to weak when riding two up. But as mlheck said it must be way better than stock in any case :)

Bike
2005 ST 1300
Thank you guys for the input. I think I go for the 23,2kg/mm spring to start with. I don't want to loose to much of the solo riding comfort. And it seems to be fairly easy to replace the spring to a stiffer if its still to weak when riding two up. But as mlheck said it must be way better than stock in any case :)
So what was the total outcome of your race tech journey please!

OP
OP
Speedyswede
So what was the total outcome of your race tech journey please!
Its still winter here in Sweden :) I will start to mount the parts on the bike in the next week or two. And perhaps do the first test ride the second half of april.

Bike
2005 ST 1300
Its still winter here in Sweden :) I will start to mount the parts on the bike in the next week or two. And perhaps do the first test ride the second half of april.
So, have you started the upgrades and is so what have you done so? Are you doing the work yourself any instruction/video/guidance as show pitfalls you may not know about?

LetErBuck

Brian Oehlert
Bike
2007 ST1300A
You will be very happy with the street box. Klaus is the man. He walked me through the fork spring change over the phone in 20 minutes after I had the forks removed and the oil drained. It is not bad to do it yourself. Patience is key. I can change out the rear shock in about 40 minutes. I can walk you through that when you are ready.

Bike
2005 ST 1300
I emailed www.epmperf.com a couple of weeks ago about not seeing the ST1300 on their list. The response was that they indeed have it, but need to update the website, etc. Best to call or email them.
I'm on the verge of buying the Streetbox in a month or two.
I've been working on Race Tech deal. I'm going for a meeting with Canadian Dealer on Saturday to see if we can strike a deal.

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
Myself and buddy STer have just completed RaceTech upgrades, we both went for custom G3 rear shocks, our stats are similar, 180lbs , we tour panniers full with pillions around 150lbs, both our shocks arrived with the same configuration and 21.4 kg/mm springs which appears to be on the light side for two up with luggage. I've not ridden my bike yet but did call RaceTech to query the spring rate , the reply was as we have custom built shocks the RaceTech website spring calculator does not apply! Anyone else have a custom G3 shock and had a similar experience? I did measure the rear sag on my bike which is 55mm with just rider and no preload, thats more than I expected.

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
the reply was as we have custom built shocks the RaceTech website spring calculator does not apply!
The spring supports, the shock cushions movement. Sure you can have some gas charge, how much? But I'm not a race-tech fan to begin with.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I'm riding with about the same weight as you and I'm using the same spring. I'm actually kind of anal and bought both springs and a a spring compressor. The 21.4 kg/mm spring is a little light for 2 up, but great for one up and is MUCH heavier than the stock spring. The 23.? kg/mm spring works better for two up, but is too heavy for one up. I dial the pre-load all of the way in when riding two up. Spring rates are a compromise on our bikes. I also have to adjust the rebound in ever so slightly when two up. Either way it is much better than stock.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The stock rear spring is good for us 150 lb riders. With preload set for 30mm rider sag the static sag is under 10mm. Heavier riders and all two up couples need more spring.

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
The stock rear spring is good for us 150 lb riders. With preload set for 30mm rider sag the static sag is under 10mm. Heavier riders and all two up couples need more spring.
Are you sure you have a stock shock and spring I did not think those numbers can be obtained from a stock set up.

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
I'm riding with about the same weight as you and I'm using the same spring. I'm actually kind of anal and bought both springs and a a spring compressor. The 21.4 kg/mm spring is a little light for 2 up, but great for one up and is MUCH heavier than the stock spring. The 23.? kg/mm spring works better for two up, but is too heavy for one up. I dial the pre-load all of the way in when riding two up. Spring rates are a compromise on our bikes. I also have to adjust the rebound in ever so slightly when two up. Either way it is much better than stock.
Thanks Michael, I'm very encouraged by your reply!

Top Bottom