Rental HD heritage softail

Bike
07 ST1300
Down in Hilton Head on a rented harly. Brand new. This makes me yearn for my st or my old bmw. Nice enough bike for putting around but not much good for anything else!
Hard to believe people buy these things. Forward controls. A quick detatch super bufeting windshield which i had to remove. Better then a car but thats about it. Had rented an ultra classic which was fine. This chopperesque model is close to useless.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Different strokes for different folks. There is a fellow here at work with close to 40,000 miles on his RK and he loves it. Like you guys it's not for me but he rides every day it's not raining and even some of those days.

OP
OP
JimGregory
Bike
07 ST1300
I'm just talking about this specific model. The ultra classic big dresser i rented was fine over the road. Still not what i would buy but served us well. The engines though. Big rude things.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Kind of like the monohull vs multihull debates and high D/L ratios to low D/L discussions among monohull adherents, eh Jim? There is no accounting sometimes for what people like.

Bike
05 ST1300
I had a new softail custom back in 91. At the time, they were the same as a Heritage softail except for wheels and trim, not sure about now. Rode it for 2 years and put about 30k miles on it. As you said it was ok for putting around - in fact that's what it did well and it did that very well. Aesthetically, the prettiest bike I've ever owned. Top end was short of 90 and at that speed the mirrors would fold in from the vibration. Couldn't get em tight enuf. At that speed, the hand grips would go from 1.25 inch diameter to about 2.5 inch diameter, it was vibrating that violently! Needless to say I rarely pushed past 70. 55 or 60 was where it was most comfy.

OP
OP
JimGregory
Bike
07 ST1300
Yes Dave and as we know a tutled big cat or tri in the middle of nowhere is a problem. But generally they stay on the surface!

Ya Art the bike is pleasant around town and surely pretty enough. But bloody hell on the highway 80 mph was brutal. Everything was exactly wrong.

Top Bottom