Steelmate TPMS

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I thought this was an interesting new choice of TPMS. Steelmate is a Chinese company, but seems to be well established. Several systems for your car or bike. One car system TP-71P has the display unit that plugs into a lighter socket. Another the 8886 has a smart phone app, similar to the Fobo system, except for cars. There is even a DIY system where the sensors mount directly to the valve stem and serve also as the display (I personally want the display where I can see it while riding/driving).

The motorcycle system TP-90 has a small but powered display, replaceable sensor batteries. I read that the display shows a green light and tire pressure every two seconds, which I thought was interesting.

The websites below are Hong Kong and Australian, search for TP-90 on the sites if you don't see it. You can find these on ebay or Amazon.
http://www.steelmate.com.au/
http://www.steel-mate.com.hk/products_details.php?id=66#.VoKJ_1KnyHc

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
That looks pretty good Ray - and at $152 CDN for a motorcycle set including dashmounted readout. That is just about the same price as a Garmin set-up (the Garmin TPM caps are $80 - EACH) - but the Garmin requires a ZUMO 390 GPS as the readout, and I have a 660 model which doesn't seem to work with the Garmin TPM caps.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I like the looks of the TP90 but this review on Amazon is disconcerting.
+1 After seeing the thread about the smartphone TPMS I really like the idea of knowing what's what before even saddling up. And that 10# range is just unacceptable. I'd probably realize low pressure before the alarm ever told me. To be effective that would mean being married to one more display. It might come off better in a thorough review. I do like the small size.

OP
OP
RaYzerman
Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Have to agree that range is unacceptable. I like my current Doran which reports if it's 12.5% off the set point.
I also read up some more, the Steelhead unit does not gather data unless you are travelling 20 km/hr or more.... however, my Doran takes 6 minutes from the time the display is powered up (switch it on before you gear up).

@MaxPete, the Garmin thing is good.... one day when the exchange rate isn't so nuts, I'll be looking for a new 590.........

Last edited:
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
WP_20160303_08_06_02_Pro_LI01.jpgSo, i installed the TP-90 last fall. I don't know about the 10% warning level, as it shows real time pressure alternately every 2 seconds, and since I can see it, the green LEDs show me all is good. If it gets to the red/warning level, I'm sure i'll see that in plenty of time.

Top Bottom