"Long Distance Rider" must-have gear

Bike
04 ST13
I must admit it surprised me that there are only two threads in this forum. Being a younger guy at this game I wish there was a little bit more activity on this particular subject.

I purchased my 04 ST13 with LD in mind. I have done some longer trips on mostly standard bikes until now. Bikes like the DL650, Versys, FZ6. My first "long" trip was on a Nighthawk 700S! I'm no IBR rider but pretty regularly run a few 6-800 mile days in a row when on my multiple day trips. This is really the bulk of my miles/year considering I don't commute on a bike. Still, I consider myself pretty novice at the LD game compared to many, so I would like to hear any gear tips that you more experienced riders might have. I'll start it off by listing a few specific items I wouldn't leave on a long trip without. These are just riding related items:

• Riding shorts (spandex), under armor boxer jock's, etc
  • Gold Bond or monkey butt powder
  • Sena Bluetooth headset. This thing changed the game for me, this is a must have as far as I'm concerned.
  • Sheepskin or beads. I'm currently running a sheepskin pad but I have a feeling the beads might be better in hot weather. Heat is what can kill a day for me.
  • Dry fit t-shirts. They are cool, they pack up small & light, and I can get a couple days out of one without smelling like a dumpster.

Let's hear some other gear suggestions for LD riding!

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Always carry 2 credit cards or a $100 of cash stashed somewhere. You never know when a card company will see your travels as potential fraud and shut off your card. Been there and had it happen.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Baby wipes
2 pairs of gloves
suntan lotion
wool socks (they breathe well, and when they get wet still can be warm)
snacks (granola bars, something that won't melt in the heat)
Canteen for water (plastic can leach not good for ones health)
Canister for coins for tolls
paper maps
flash light
lighter
soft cloth, glass cleaner ( to get the bugs off your visor)
phone charging cables
tablet (free wifi at MacDonald's and Tim Horton's)
Bandana
insect repellent
small first aid pouch with bandaids and the like
Tylenol or aspirin

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Motorcycle.
Helmet.
Gloves (gauntlet type).
Boots.
Really good jacket and pants with CE armor.
Heated liner for the upper body.
Waterproof liners.
Good tires.
Gas.
2 credit cards.
Cash.
Air compressor and gummy worm tire plugs with 'T' type tools.
Maps.
Phone.
Tool kit.

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
A tire repair kit and air pump of some sort. You can repair it in ten minutes. And practice on how to use them, without a leak. I ran my last plug 4000 miles just to see how long it would last. Just so I would know. Most tire dealers do not carry the right size tire or any tire to fit the ST1300. Not even a Honda dealer, so they must order. One quart of oil. Water for you or the bike . Micro fiber cloth and motorcycle windshield cleaner. And be Prayed up before you ride.

Bike
2015 FJR1300
Waterproof Boots
Waterproof Pants
Waterproof Jacket
LD Comfort shorts
Air pump
Tire repair kit. I use the rubber worms.
Heater liner
Zumo 550 (XM, Audio Books, Phone, MP3)
Autocom: I went the Sena route, ruined 2, the 3rd replacement unit I sold.
Spot Locator: For your significant others peace of mind.
Sheepskin for really hot days.
Sunglasses
Ear plugs

I think that's my whole kit.
Good luck.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Always carry 2 credit cards or a $100 of cash stashed somewhere. You never know when a card company will see your travels as potential fraud and shut off your card. Been there and had it happen.
Learned this the hard way. Went traveling into Mexico some time back. I called my card company and gave them a heads up that I would be in Mexico for a week on business. Card was cancelled my second night out at my hotel....'suspicious activity south of the border'. Thankfully, I had another card and sufficient cash to comfortably complete my trip.

Joseph/TX

R.I.P. - 2016/11/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
1994 ST-1100A
+2! And they did it to me after putting a flyer in with my last bill urging me to use the card for my next trip!

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Seems most of the required stuff is listed, with one exception... a TPMS. Once you get one, you'll wondered how you ever rode without it! ;)

Edit: found another missing item... electric gear. Really nice to have, even when it's as high as 50 degrees.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
Most of the stuff for a LD bike trip is the same as you would take on any vacation - less the big items plus a few mc specific tools or some camping gear. There are enough hints already above, take what you think is necessary and go ride! You'll make up lists as you go along and soon will have your own kit. Everyone has different 'must have' items. And if you go to an STOC event, you can always borrow something you forgot.

Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
I also have a 2004 ST1300. Here is a list that you should consider when traveling long distances on your ST:

- Throttle Lock or Cruise Control
- Highway Wings
- Auxillary Lights
- Spencerized Seat or RDL Seat
- Radar Detector
- GPS
- Cell Phone with Charger
- Netbook or Tablet
- Paper Maps
- SPOT
- EZ-Pass (If you are planning on traveling to the East Coast)
- Tank Bag
- Flashlight
- Tool Kit
- Tire Kit
- Air Compressor
- Molly Paste
- Spare Key
- Rain Gear
- Heated Gear
- LD Comfort Undergarments
- Suntan Lotion
- Chap Stick
- Monkey Butt Powder
- Camelback
- Earplugs
- 2 Credit Cards
- Cash

And if you are thinking about Iron Butt rides, add a 2nd GPS Unit and an Auxillary Gas Tank.

OP
OP
Bike
04 ST13
Great replies, everyone. Thank you!
I really appreciate the info.

My personal gear list has always seemed sufficient for the week or so that I spend in the road but this was exactly the type of information that I was seeking. There are always improvements that I can make and you folks have really helped me out by posting on this thread.

Again, thank you.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
I'll just mention a few things.

1) Heated liner - no matter the time of year, for long distances rides this is a must. You can put up with being mildly cold for hours and it won't really slow you down. Mildly cold after 8+ hours and the muscle tensing from being mildly cold really wears on you. Heading into evening, I put it on as soon as I can wear it without sweating while moving. For me, that small increase in comfort and relaxed muscles allows hours more riding in comfort every day.

2) LD comfort shorts - I've been a bicyclist for years and cycling shorts are way better than regular underwear. But Mario's LDcomfort shorts make a big difference on rides over 6 hours or so. Just get a pair

3) Auxiliary lights - when you start getting tired, one of the first signs is difficulty focusing your eyes. Good auxiliary lights reduce the strain on your eyes and allow you to ride safely for hours longer

Top Bottom