"Long Distance Rider" must-have gear

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
We do 4-5week trips of about 5000miles through France, Italy and Greece every year, and each time think we've got it pinned down for what we take.... but every year we make another tweak, which may be different riding shirt, mesh gloves, whatever...

This year it's a smaller tyre pump and a multi socket charging cable - it may sound silly but it means more space and less weight, which is always a good thing!

I'd agree with the previous posts as these are things that other riders have found that work, so they're all valid. There is one thing I would strongly advise and that's make sure your bike is absolutely in tip-top condition, I've seen so many bikes fail on the big trips because they haven't had the machine serviced or prepped, so fresh oil, tyres and a big check over is essential.

As an example of what can go wrong, a couple of years ago on a tour I had a problem with the the flexible tyre valves leaking, so I had the aluminium ones fitted for the next trip and that was a instant success, no more problems. I've also seen them advertised on this site if that helps?

Have fun, take care and stay safe

Steve & Debbie

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Don't see these listed, but I never go ANYWHERE on the bike without:
* bike registration info
* bike insurance card / info
* Medical insurance card
* Emergency contact info card

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Hi All: this is an excellent post and thread with great information. One thing I 've been wondering is: what brand/model of air compressor have people found to be good?
There are a ton of cheap junky ones out there and all they do it process electricity into noise. My point is (and I'm not looking to spend a lot of money) that I've yet to see a really good small air compressor - at ANY price. I don't mind paying for a good one - so bring on the recommendations!

OP
OP
Bike
04 ST13
Hi All: this is an excellent post and thread with great information. One thing I 've been wondering is: what brand/model of air compressor have people found to be good?
There are a ton of cheap junky ones out there and all they do it process electricity into noise. My point is (and I'm not looking to spend a lot of money) that I've yet to see a really good small air compressor - at ANY price. I don't mind paying for a good one - so bring on the recommendations!
http://www.amazon.com/Slime-40001-Motorcycle-Tire-Inflator/dp/B000ET9SB4

For my plug kit I just have a kit from Napa with multiple size plugs, rubber cement, & tools.

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
In regard to keys... I am the worlds worst for losing the damn things, plus I've managed to damage a couple when I've opened the petrol cap with the tank bag pushed up out of the way... only to lose my grip and have it come down and bend the key.

So I have the full compliment of 3 chipped keys, one for the ignition of course and then a set apiece for both my wife and myself that are fastened into our respective left hand jacket pockets by a sewn-in clip. This way I always know exactly where they are and they can't drop out of my pocket. I also have another sewn-in clip in my pants pocket for when I remove the ignition key, and I make sure I always clip it in there.

I WILL sort out the cut-off key glued into a Radio Shack radio knob for the panniers and glove box this year, then with luck it will further lessen the possibility of damaging any more of the expensive keys.

I've also always tried to deal with a prospective problem before it happens, so rather than try to change a blown bulb on a French motorway in the rain with a Gendarme stood alongside me I've fitted LED's wherever I can... allegedly they last longer! I've also fitted LED fuses that light up when they blow, it's got to be better than pulling each fuse isn't it?

I have always worn a silicon ID bracelet with name, date of birth, blood group, I.C.E. details for my nearest and dearest if I/we do get involved in an incident. Weighs nothing and may be important!

There are so many lists on the net of what you 'should' take with you, but TBH we don't really visit too many barren out of the way places that would require me to pack an extensive tool kit so the Honda standard kit will have to suffice, plus there's only so much you can pack onboard when you're two-up.

Last edited:

RocketMan

so many roads...
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I must admit it surprised me that there are only two threads in this forum. Being a younger guy at this game I wish there was a little bit more activity on this particular subject.
There are lots of posts in this forum. Go to the bottom of the list and you'll see the option to show the Last Month or whatever you want to choose from the dropbox - Beginning is a good choice.

Lots of good info in the forum and in this thread.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
There are lots of posts in this forum. Go to the bottom of the list and you'll see the option to show the Last Month or whatever you want to choose from the dropbox - Beginning is a good choice.

Lots of good info in the forum and in this thread.
IINM there are 290 threads in this sub-forum/'board.'

Edit: I'll add a first aid kit, ICE capsules secured to RoadCrafter and tankbag, umbrella, and closed cell kneeling pad to the LD list. A one month trip including the Arctic Circle confirmed my extensive carry-along kit, but it's always being refined.

Last edited:
Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
1. I would think more like 300 cash. Some areas a tow can get pretty expensive and they only take cash.

2. Cup holder or camel back if you are truly doing long distance riding , winter or summer you need water, I just take a sip from every once and a while just to keep the juices flowing.

3. Slime compressor, I have both gummies and a stop-n-go kit with mushroom plugs. pliers if you need to pull out a nail.

4. Extra wire for a jump if you need it.

5. Duct tape or gorilla tape , it can come in handy.

6. Tie wraps large ones.

7. Tool kit.

8. Extra water bottles that are for an emergency only.

9. I go with an Olympia airglide jacket in the summer that gives my many layers and outside rain gear that will slip over the top just in case.

10. Can not say enough about ld riding shorts they do work.

11. Sunscreen every morning, a sunburn will not only ruin the ride but also cause fatigue.

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
Heated jacket and gloves
Water jug on the rear footpeg with a hose which can double as a siphon.
Tire repair kit
Tools
Russell seat and beads - You won't need the monkey butt powder

I did a trip from Atlanta to LA early June of 2015 and it was hot.
Two things I bought on that trip that helped the most were a gel pad seat cover, and a cooling vest. (I already had a bottle of advil :D )

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I'm going to approach the question from the opposite direction: I think the OP should be asking "What's the absolute least amount of essential stuff I can bring with me on a long tour?"

About 15 years ago, I bought a ST1100 and started long-distance touring in North America and Europe. Every year, I would head out for about a month or two. The first few years, the bike looked like the Griswold's station wagon - I packed everything I found on all the different lists. Now, 15 years later, I have managed to cut down what I take with me to about 60% of the capacity of one saddlebag, leaving the other saddlebag free for clothing. I don't carry any external cargo at all. I'm still riding the same ST 1100 I bought in 2001, as well as a ST 1300 I bought in 2012. I mostly ride in rural Canada, Southern and Eastern Europe, and North Africa.

So, with the frame of mind "What's the absolute least you can get away with taking, and still have reasonable peace of mind on a long tour of one month or more", here's my list:

A high quality tire pressure gauge
A good quality small flashlight (pocket type flashlight) and an inspection mirror
A volt-ohm meter
Small tire plug kit with compressed air cartridges
A very limited selection of tools to enable you to get the Tupperware off if you need to inspect something.
Waterproof clothing, if your primary riding outfit is not inherently waterproof
Spare pair of glasses (if you wear corrective lenses)
Tablet or small laptop computer (I use a Microsoft Surface)
2 different credit cards (ideally one Visa and one Mastercard) plus a bank ATM card
Set of baby-size booster cables (suitable for a motorcycle)
One ounce of Moly 60, in case I need to get the rear tire changed.
Lots of discardable ear plugs.
2 spare keys - one in a pocket of my jacket that I never use, the other well hidden on the bike.

That's about it for equipment. For clothing, I take 4 pair of socks, underwear, undershirts, 2 polo shirts, 1 pair jeans, 1 pair of decent looking chinos, 1 pair of soft moccosins (e.g Topsiders), and a light jacket. I don't like to set out on a tour with either saddlebag more than about 70% full.

Here's a list of what I have learned I DON'T need to bring with me.

Water: unless you are crossing a desert, you can stop and get water anytime you like.
Food of any kind: ditto the above, you can buy food and snacks anywhere
Medication: If you need Aspirin, etc., there are drugstores everywhere.
Any kind of motorcycle cleaning supplies: I just ask the housekeeper at the hotel in the morning, before I leave, if they have a wrecked or ripped towel I could have. They always do. I then go to a coin op, spray the bike, dry it with the towel, then throw the towel away.
Any kind of motorcycle parts: I can live with a burned-out bulb until I get to the next Honda dealer, where I can buy a replacement.
Tape, cable ties, stuff like that: I can buy that stuff anywhere enroute if I need it.
Too many maps: I buy maps as I go along (that way, they are up to date) and toss them once I have left the coverage area.

Hope this helps free you from "the burden of possessions".

Michael

Bike
R1200rt
Always carry 2 credit cards or a $100 of cash stashed somewhere. You never know when a card company will see your travels as potential fraud and shut off your card. Been there and had it happen.
call the credit card company and they will be glade to note that you are on a trip and not shut off your card, they are more than happy to do this in fact they recommend it

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
call the credit card company and they will be glade to note that you are on a trip and not shut off your card, they are more than happy to do this in fact they recommend it
Any system is only as good as the people actually doing the work.
I was tapped by my company to spend a week in Mexico. Since I normally only went down for day trips twice a year, I called my company's card company and informed them that I would be spending time in Mexico. Second night out...they cancelled my card for 'suspicious activity south of the border'. Their 'international emergency' phone number was NOT accessible from Mexico. My personal card kept it from becoming a very frugal trip.

Bike
ST1300
Wow, what a great post! Here are a few of my thoughts:

+1 on LD Comfort riding shorts! Mario, the owner, is an LD rider. http://ldcomfort.com I recommend two pair, but one will do as you can quickly wash them in the sink or shower, ring them out, roll them in a towel and they are dry in a few hours for another day of riding.

+1 on a Hydration system - this could be a 1 gal insulated cooler with drinking hose or a bladder type system (camelback) or just water bottles in the tank bag. Dehydration does not equate to LD riding! It affects everything from your mental attitude / mood to your physical function. I prefer having a drinking hose connected to my tank bag so I can get a sip often with minimal disruption.

+1 on a spot tracker or a similar location tracking device. This is a key for my family's peace of mind and they actually get to participate on LD rides by following along at home. There are other options besides a spot device that link in with Jason Jonas's Spotwalla (my preferred interface www.spotwalla.com) such as smart phone apps (bubbler gps or swconnect). See the devices sections here:https://spotwalla.com/help/devices.php#supported

+1 Earplugs - what ever style you prefer as long as they work sufficiently and have enough comfort to not cause pain.

Tank bag with food, snacks, candy, gum. I prefer to eat a "tank bag buffet" during LD riding. To each their own, but I need a mix of high protein and a few carbs for my metabolism. I also enjoy a quick access to gum or hard candy.

Depending on your endurance and goals with LD riding, an aux fuel tank really does make a difference as your trip becomes less dictated by when you need to stop for gas vs when you choose to stop for gas.

I don't think you can go wrong with a RDL saddle, but it is an investment. Before my RDL, I had good experience with beads on my seat (beadrider.com) and actually completed two saddle sore 1000s and a bun burner gold 1500 using that set up. Everyone's rear end is different, so YMMV.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
The bank that issued my credit card disabled the website function allowing you to inform them that you would be away and for how long. It has been replaced with the following message;

Should I inform RBC if I'm travelling?

RBC does not require you to provide travel information if you are planning on using your credit card or client card while away from home. RBC?s industry leading fraud detection systems are in place to protect your accounts from suspicious or unauthorized transactions. Please ensure your contact information is up to date in Online Banking by selecting Profile and Preferences from the Banking tab, in the event we may need to reach you at home or while traveling.

This change happened quite a few years ago. I have not informed them of any travel plans since this change was made and so far I have not had any problems in my home country, the U.S. or overseas.

I hope that this continues because when I do LD riding I tend to be a minimalist. I carry my personal clothes, a small flashlight, tire repair kit, a small compressor and the tool kit that Honda provided with the bike. Besides that and a tidy sum of cash I rely on my credit card for any other needs so I hope that this technology will continue to function and that my card will always work.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Yeah Right. Did all of that and they still shut it off 1000 miles from home. Be prepared and carry 2 cards.

Later on I found out that a small purchase will trigger this. I had paid for my gas and then bought a candy bar afterwards using the card, CC company thought someone had scammed my card number and was testing it.

Last edited:
Bike
R1200rt
Any system is only as good as the people actually doing the work.
I was tapped by my company to spend a week in Mexico. Since I normally only went down for day trips twice a year, I called my company's card company and informed them that I would be spending time in Mexico. Second night out...they cancelled my card for 'suspicious activity south of the border'. Their 'international emergency' phone number was NOT accessible from Mexico. My personal card kept it from becoming a very frugal trip.
I did not have a problem last time out but you are right, no telling what part of the world the card company uses to do this stuff . One time my wife had issues, called and needed a translator to understand the card company employee!!!

Top Bottom