"Long Distance Rider" must-have gear

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
Apart from the Sat-nav I've also fitted a small compass on the Migsel shelf for when our Tomtom insists we're riding through a field! It only cost us about £5 and is a great fall-back...

As has been said on earlier posts, water is readily available on our routes so there's no need to carry any. Bulbs, hi-vis vest and First-aid kit are obligatory when travelling through France. Many of the European countries also get upset if you have speed camera warnings on your sat-nav.

Credit cards are a must but they don't always work in other countries in Europe, but they're good to have for the hotels, although we tend to use pre-paid cards instead so we know where we are with the finances and attract no CC fees.

Clothing - not much, mesh gear and mesh gloves, waterproofs and w/proof overgloves. 2 spare pairs of underwear, socks and thin polo shirts.

Tablet/mobiles + chargers, we have a multi socket that fits all of the electricals with one USB socket and plug, saves so many additional cables.

Tyre repair kit and small electric pump, Honda toolkit and list of Honda main dealers.

We had loads of jabs for when we went through Serbia, Montenegro and Bosnia... including Rabies and Hep B/C.

ID bracelet with ICE contacts and medical info.

We also take about 1000 Euro (£700) cash because many of the Greek hotels and restaurants prefer cash.

Service and new tyres every time!

Last edited:
Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Several listers have mentioned NOT carrying water as it is available everywhere. However, doing LD riding can mean a long time between stops and in hot weather, you'll be dehydrated. I mostly have done rallies and ld rides in the western United States where temp's can be high. All the rally riders I know have some kind of on board hydration system. A Camelbak or similar hydration backpack can work but on longer rides the weight can wear on your shoulders. I've carried a 1 gallon wide mouth jug where the whole top comes off. It is secured on the motorcycle behind me and has a drinking tube I can sip on. On a gas stop, I can add water and ice quickly, and have cool/cold water all day long. Especially in the southwest where summer temps can quickly incapacitate a person not taking in fluids, this is a serious matter.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
We also take about 1000 Euro (?700) cash because many of the Greek hotels and restaurants prefer cash.
They only prefer cash because when you pay cash, they pocket the 21% VAT that you just paid, and don't declare the net sale for income tax purposes.

I toured Greece a couple of years ago. Whenever I paid a bill and the vendor (restaurant, hotel) didn't give me a receipt from the 'official' tax receipt machine, I asked for the 21% VAT back. I told them that it was their business if they planned to hide the sale, but there was no way I was giving them an extra 21% on top of the sale to put into their own pocket. Most of the time, they did give me the VAT back.

...and we wonder why that country is bankrupt. :mad:

Michael

Steve398

Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
They only prefer cash because when you pay cash, they pocket the 21% VAT that you just paid, and don't declare the net sale for income tax purposes.

I toured Greece a couple of years ago. Whenever I paid a bill and the vendor (restaurant, hotel) didn't give me a receipt from the 'official' tax receipt machine, I asked for the 21% VAT back. I told them that it was their business if they planned to hide the sale, but there was no way I was giving them an extra 21% on top of the sale to put into their own pocket. Most of the time, they did give me the VAT back.

...and we wonder why that country is bankrupt. :mad:

Michael

Good point and something that had never occurred to me..

Steve398

Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
Several listers have mentioned NOT carrying water as it is available everywhere. However, doing LD riding can mean a long time between stops and in hot weather, you'll be dehydrated. I mostly have done rallies and ld rides in the western United States where temp's can be high. All the rally riders I know have some kind of on board hydration system. A Camelbak or similar hydration backpack can work but on longer rides the weight can wear on your shoulders. I've carried a 1 gallon wide mouth jug where the whole top comes off. It is secured on the motorcycle behind me and has a drinking tube I can sip on. On a gas stop, I can add water and ice quickly, and have cool/cold water all day long. Especially in the southwest where summer temps can quickly incapacitate a person not taking in fluids, this is a serious matter.
I take your point, but with a pillion passenger and enough gear to tour for 4-5 weeks there's not a whole lot of room on the bike for a jug of water.
However, on our last trip with the temps in the high 30's and 40's we were stopping every 40mins for a litre of water apiece and another couple of litres poured liberally over our mesh gear soaking into our T-shirts and shorts.
We generally stop every 90 mins anyway... I'm getting old so a 'comfort break' is always necessary, and as I once read "Never waste an erection, and never pass a toilet!"

Last edited:
Bike
2004 ST1300A
I did a cross country trip June of this year (10,000 mis, 31 states in 28 days) camping several times along the way. Camping made it way more complicated.

1. I found I had too many clothes. I wore shirts and pants more than one day until I could wash. Need to save room for things you buy along the way too. I mailed home some extra clothes
about halfway through the trip.
2. Shield / windshield cleaner. Melts bug quickly. Used it every day.
3. Had too many tools and parts. Never used them.
4. We were cold way more than we were hot. Western part of the country gets cold at night and at elevation. Heated gear is a savior!
5. Hydration of some kind. I made a cup holder and always got ice water or sports drinks at every stop. I had a bottle of water stowed at all times too.
6. Plenty of phone chargers and backup battery pack.
7. Waterproof duffle bag.
8. GoPro and/or journal or some way to document the trip. Don't count on someone else to get it. There will be lots of stories to tell.
9. Plan ahead to get tires. I had to get what was available when the time came.
10. I kept snacks in my tank bag to eat on the road. (trail mix, meat sticks, protein bars, candy)

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
4. We were cold way more than we were hot. Western part of the country gets cold at night and at elevation. Heated gear is a savior!
Yep.. but don't forget.. .when you stop to camp for the night. heated gear no longer work.

Hopefully, a store is nearby for you to buy a sweatshirt and stocking cap. If you're way back on some national forest land and it's a long ride down a dirt road after you've done a thousand mile day... BTDT,no fun.

Bike
2007 ST1300 "Silby"
STOC #
Hi All: this is an excellent post and thread with great information. One thing I 've been wondering is: what brand/model of air compressor have people found to be good?
There are a ton of cheap junky ones out there and all they do it process electricity into noise. My point is (and I'm not looking to spend a lot of money) that I've yet to see a really good small air compressor - at ANY price. I don't mind paying for a good one - so bring on the recommendations!
I’ve also got a mini compressor kit by slime and I carry a co2 power inflator for backup!

Bike
07 ST 1300 A
I must admit it surprised me that there are only two threads in this forum. Being a younger guy at this game I wish there was a little bit more activity on this particular subject.

I purchased my 04 ST13 with LD in mind. I have done some longer trips on mostly standard bikes until now. Bikes like the DL650, Versys, FZ6. My first "long" trip was on a Nighthawk 700S! I'm no IBR rider but pretty regularly run a few 6-800 mile days in a row when on my multiple day trips. This is really the bulk of my miles/year considering I don't commute on a bike. Still, I consider myself pretty novice at the LD game compared to many, so I would like to hear any gear tips that you more experienced riders might have. I'll start it off by listing a few specific items I wouldn't leave on a long trip without. These are just riding related items:

• Riding shorts (spandex), under armor boxer jock's, etc
  • Gold Bond or monkey butt powder
  • Sena Bluetooth headset. This thing changed the game for me, this is a must have as far as I'm concerned.
  • Sheepskin or beads. I'm currently running a sheepskin pad but I have a feeling the beads might be better in hot weather. Heat is what can kill a day for me.
  • Dry fit t-shirts. They are cool, they pack up small & light, and I can get a couple days out of one without smelling like a dumpster.

Let's hear some other gear suggestions for LD riding!
I have a half gallon bottle of ice water and a 4 foot length of Ice maker tubing. Sipping ice water anytime I want really helps fight fatigue.

I must admit it surprised me that there are only two threads in this forum. Being a younger guy at this game I wish there was a little bit more activity on this particular subject.

I purchased my 04 ST13 with LD in mind. I have done some longer trips on mostly standard bikes until now. Bikes like the DL650, Versys, FZ6. My first "long" trip was on a Nighthawk 700S! I'm no IBR rider but pretty regularly run a few 6-800 mile days in a row when on my multiple day trips. This is really the bulk of my miles/year considering I don't commute on a bike. Still, I consider myself pretty novice at the LD game compared to many, so I would like to hear any gear tips that you more experienced riders might have. I'll start it off by listing a few specific items I wouldn't leave on a long trip without. These are just riding related items:

• Riding shorts (spandex), under armor boxer jock's, etc
  • Gold Bond or monkey butt powder
  • Sena Bluetooth headset. This thing changed the game for me, this is a must have as far as I'm concerned.
  • Sheepskin or beads. I'm currently running a sheepskin pad but I have a feeling the beads might be better in hot weather. Heat is what can kill a day for me.
  • Dry fit t-shirts. They are cool, they pack up small & light, and I can get a couple days out of one without smelling like a dumpster.

Let's hear some other gear suggestions for LD riding!

Ride for the Slide!
Grew up on dirt bikes, and still have scares to prove it.
With all the distracted drivers out there, not willing to risk down street hospital bills and suffering on skin graphs.
I wear touring pants and coat.
Kevlar full pads. Padded coat mesh full pads.
Quality gloves helmet and glasses.
Camel back for hydration in hot weather.
If I end up in flat rural roads may loose coat in excessively hot for short time.

Ride for the slide it only a matter of time.

Be safe have fun!!!

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I'm surprised not to see emergency fuel. I'm not talking about an extra fuel cell, but something like an MSR fuel bottle.
They can give you up to about 30oz/ 1 quart / 1 liter or emergency fuel. Easy to stash in tool tube or elsewhere.

1572437079206.png

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
If you don't want to buy a tube for your fuel bottle (or tools) you can make them out of ABS pipe, some pipe solvent and screw on ends

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
When MotorcycleSuperstore was in business they would ship a tire to trusted installer any new company out there offering this service

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
When MotorcycleSuperstore was in business they would ship a tire to trusted installer any new company out there offering this service
I'd think any online retailer would ship to the address you provided regardless if it was your home or a business. The issues would be if they had it in stock, how long it took a delivery company to get it to you and how much that would cost.

Here in Canada you can buy online from Pete's Superbikes or Fortnine. Shipping is often free but you likely could get it expedited.

Top Bottom