Rubber dampers, life extender

OP
OP
Bike
2005 ST1300 ABS
The 1300 cush rubbers should be a tight fit with the wheel and spline hub - it's a job to remove or press the driven hub down into the wheel. New ones are relatively inexpensive at $20 but they last forever. Part number is 06410-MCS-G00. It's a nice motorcycle, ditch the inner tube pieces and make it right.
Dduelin, thanks however I will check tomorrow as the last I heard they were NZ$ 186, which translates to about US$90 and that is considrably more than than the USA price. If that is the case I will have to check the cost of shipping from the US.
You are right, I'll ditch the inner tube spacers.

OP
OP
Bike
2005 ST1300 ABS
My question is if there's enough room for the extra rubber are they worn?

Had to go check my records (memory thing again) I haven't changed mine yet at 50k miles. Have changed them on other bikes. My now gone KLX for one.

How many miles on bike?

Make sure you check the flange bearings also.
Thanks Pete in PA. the bike has 78000 miles on the clock.
The flange bearings are still good.
When I removed the hub it was a real battle to get off as everything was so tight, so you are probably right to take out the extra rubber.

OP
OP
Bike
2005 ST1300 ABS
Just a guess, but perhaps the PO thought that the slight cush damper play was a contributor to jerky throttle.

I doubt the original cush dampers are 'worn'. But they've probably reshaped themselves ever-so-slightly to accommodate the extra space used by the inner tube wraps that the PO put in place.

My opinion... I'd probably remove the inner tube wraps just to be sure they didn't slowly work their way into some other location which could put unusual loads into the assembly. These cush dampers are fine and will go hundreds of thousands of miles without having to be replaced.

But if you're always going to wonder about the dampers, just replace them for $21.11 + S/H.
Thanks BakerBoy, I'll check the prices locally tomorrow (Tuesday) and if they are too expensive here I will have to order from the US.
Only concern is that it is summer here in NZ and the riding is good, so to wait for them to arrive would be a real test of my patience. So in that case I would probably just reassemble and test, and if I'm not happy, order from the US, and ride until the parts arrive.
Can't miss out on the summer riding
Garry

OP
OP
Bike
2005 ST1300 ABS
Looking at the fit of various parts and checking the bearings, which all seem fine, I notice that the rear axle seems to be a pretty "loose" fit. Is this normal? Maybe a good dollop of grease is all that is needed?
Any thoughts? The manual doesn't make comment on this.
Thanks Garry

OP
OP
Bike
2005 ST1300 ABS
I have checked the price of the cush rubbers locally and the STealer wants NZ$107 for them which is about US$70, and of course they don't have stock and will have to get them from Japan. So I just reassembled without the rubber inner tube. Haven't managed a ride yet to test. Maybe tomorrow, weather permitting.

Top Bottom