What kind of rotary tool are you using?

Bike
2005 Concours
I'm interested in finding out what kind of a rotary tool everyone is using. My old Dramel finally gave up the ghost. I did try using Menard's brand, but what a POS that is.

So anyway, I just thought I'd ask my fellow ST'rs as to what their using, and how well they like it. I'm leaning on going back to Dramel, but man. have they gotten expensive.

Thanks.....John/Sourkraut

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Although I do not own one, I would go with the roto zip. They have been around awhile and are much beefier than the dermal tools. Actually was checking one out yesterday at Home Depot...

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
The only thing about rotozips are that they are a little heavy and pretty torquey and thus harder to control. If you are doing something delicate, a Dremel is hard to beat and they are very well put together

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I bought a new Dremel years back. I used it a few times over a few years and the variable speed switch burned up. I contacted Dremel and asked to buy a switch. They told me that they didn't make that switch any longer but they would (out of the good grace of their heart) sell me a refurbished tool for more than I could buy a new one for. I declined and hot wired across the switch and it is now plug hold on and play.

I have since inherited my fathers which works fine, but I am very careful to not put a "heavy" load on it. I then bought two large sets at a garage sale for $5 a piece, one set was brand new. I mainly bought them for all the attachments. I asked if they both worked. I was told yes, but when I got home one had the same problem as my original one. I have an external variable control I use with the wide open ones now.

Needles to say I would never spend any of my money on a new Dremel. I would bet a Harbor Freight brand is better. Even if it isn't you can throw it away and get another one. If there is a Yugo or Chevy Vega brand I would buy it before Dremel. JMHExperience. I feel better now.:D

Bike
92 ST1100
STOC #
I found a set at Lowes called Blue Hawk , and was a two piece set, a rotary tool like the dremel and then the multi tool one as well, have used the tar out of both of them and have been pleased, I think they are discontinued but the attachments from all of the other tools fit.

OP
OP
SourKraut
Bike
2005 Concours
Thanks for all the replies. I too have a Roto-zip, but discovered that you had better have a good grip on it, or you'll destroy whatever it was you were working on.

The Dremel has just been so great to use. It's light and can be controlled with very little effort. It is my favorite way to sharpen/touch up my chainsaw chain.

Guess I'll just bite the bullet and get another one. Thanks again for the replies. Always trust the STr's for great answers and advice.

John/Sourkraut

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
I have a very old cable driven Black and Decker rotary tool. I have used this on many different types of metals, wood, plastic, etc. I have a boat load of different cutter types. these include high speed steel and carbide rotary files, diamond cutoff wheels, cylindrical drum sanding tools in different sizes plus if uses dermal and harbor freight cutters. It is variable speed which is helpful when working with plastics, less melting of the material.

I give this type of tool two thumbs up. The down side is being cable driven it is not always convenient to get into tight locations.

richpeabody

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
yes
I have a cordless Dremel....very handy....I also bought, like 30 years ago, a Riobi corded unit....vastly superior to Dremel....I'm not sure if they are still available....

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I've burned up a couple Dremels over the years (heavy use) and now have their newest model with the quick fit tool holder. Works a charm. I just threw away my Roto Zip as the cast head busted off completely. Very disappointed.

Used to have a flex shaft which attached to my little hobby jig saw. It accepted Dremel tools at the working end. It could get into tight spots the hand-held Dremel couldn't. Don't know whatever happened to that one.

BTW, I have a this saw blade, Dremel 561, which work great in the Dremel. Pointing the blade into the work instead of trying to fit it in sideways with a circular blade works a treat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF8-SV6ZA0M

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Dad bought a rotary tool at Harbor Fright and it was about as useful as chicken teeth. The multi-tool they make is awesome for the money, but the rotary tol is not worth it.

Dremel for me, bought years ago, have a spare set of brushes if I ever wear the original ones down. You pay for the name, but it is a decent tool for the money.

OP
OP
SourKraut
Bike
2005 Concours
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I decided just to try another cheap tool, again. I bought a WEN off of EBay, and it came with a flexible shaft.

So we'll see how this works out. Maybe I'll get lucky this time. If not I'll get another Dremel, which I probably should've done anyway.

Thanks....John/Sourkraut

Top Bottom