Those Mirror & Fairing Wind Deflector Sets:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Do they come with installation instructions? The Mirror set looks like you install the mirror bits first then the windshield part. After prepping the surfaces I assume that once you lay down the deflector pieces they're pretty much on good- no lifting and repositioning?

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
im pretty sure the fairing bit has to be done first.
Are you talking about the whole fairing kit or just the other two bits that come with the mirror kit. I was hoping to get the mirror kit first then add the fairing kit later. Thanks for all the information John.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
They do come with instructions on how to install them. You could put on the mirror deflectors first and then the faring deflectors next. Clean the painted surface with a wax remover first and then install them and use a little bit of heat to set the glue on the sections after you have them where you want them, they can be moved a little if you have to but you are better off not having to move them if possible. I have also had to replace a mirror cover a couple of years after installing the deflectors and just took my heat gun and removed the deflector and reinstalled them on the new cover with some new double sided tape. You can do this job as it is not to bad to get it done and you will like the amount of heat, wind and rain they keep off of you.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I used white electrician's tape to mark where the deflectors go on my bike after I cleaned the surfaces - any contrasting colored vinyl tape will do. The deflector grabbed tight and there was no sliding or moving the deflector once it touched. I think I did misapply one piece and after it lightly grabbed, I pulled it off and started over. The 3M tape on the back of the deflectors is available at auto body supply shops. It is used to hold trim pieces on cars and is pretty strong. As said, heat will soften it, and set it, but go easy here. The directions said to let it sit on the bike above 60 degrees for 24 hours to develop a strong bond.

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Thanks one and all for the info. I'll order the mirror kit first and proceed with only mild trepidation. I've still got a couple of things to work on first but I'm really looking forward to these kits.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I ordered the mirror kit along with a my new windshield,, thinking that the two have to work well together. My US clearing house should deliver in a couple of weeks,,, and I have till spring to work on the installs. 3m tape is great stuff,, but you only get to position it once !! Not sure if I will install the lower deflector kit, and that decision will wait till after I install and evaluate the upper elements. I only want enough deflection to keep the wind off my arms,,, and reduce the buffeting on my pillion. Although,, from what I have read,, the lowers may be helpful in dealing with engine heat. cheers,, Cat'

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've installed the mirror and lower fairing air deflector kits on four of my bikes so far! I still have a set to go on my '04#1 (got new lowers for it) when I get around to restoring it.

Big part is to make sure that you are installing them in 60-65F air temps. Heating the 3M tape with a heat gun (not super hot, just warm them up) before you install isn't a bad thing to do either.

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I only want enough deflection to keep the wind off my arms
My hands get very cold very quickly and I've yet to find non-heated gloves that keep them at least 98.6dF. Adding the Gen III Helibars took them out of the fairing protection and right into a jet stream. So the mirror defector kit should bring it back to normal. That's where I'll start. Adding the fairing kit might be more for continuity of the look. I kinda like that look too. Grip heaters are on the list too.

Big part is to make sure that you are installing them in 60-65F air temps. Heating the 3M tape with a heat gun (not super hot, just warm them up) before you install isn't a bad thing to do either.
I wondered about that. It's a little too cool in the garage right now but I should get a kit and keep it handy for a decent day. I have to admit I think think much of these deflectors at first but I'm really encouraged by your real world experiences.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
... I have to admit I think think much of these deflectors at first but I'm really encouraged by your real world experiences.
After installing the risers on my '05, my hands were hanging out in the open before adding the mirror air deflectors. I also find that the lower deflectors help in the "heat department during the summer! :D

dtg

Bike
03 ST1300
My 03 came with the deflectors. I had a parking tip over when I tried to put the left mirror back on after storing it and I guess the bike wasn't leaned over far enough so it went over when I tapped the mirror on. anyway, now I need to find a replacement fastener for the wind deflector on the fairing. Any idea the size and where the heck I can get some new ones?

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
As far as I have heard they are a Honda direct part. I am looking for a set as well but only after I hear the good word on how they work on the 1300 from our brothers here. Anyone?

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
As far as I have heard they are a Honda direct part. I am looking for a set as well but only after I hear the good word on how they work on the 1300 from our brothers here. Anyone?
Search through the forum, there should be a number of threads that talk about the benefits of the air deflectors!

Top Bottom