Helmets do make a difference

Bike
R1200rt
Unfortunately in some states, like FL, texting while driving is not a primary offense. You have to be doing something else wrong first & then if you're texting they can get you for that too. In FL they've been trying to make it a primary offense but the majority of our state representatives see it as overly intrusive.

I could go on a rant about all the things they do pass legislation on that truly are too intrusive...but that's not gonna do anyone any good. :banghead:
why bother passing a law if it is not going to be enforced..by that standard you should be able to speed at any time with out getting a ticket just as long as you didn't do something else wrong !! Could you imagine how chaotic that would be ??

Bike
R1200rt
My point was more toward the fact that there is almost 100% of people on a ski hill wearing a helmet and it did not have to be mandated. Why so different in the MC community? If it just makes sense, compulsory or not should not make any difference to you.
Must be due to the demographics of each subset.

Rod
I really disagree with that statistic ...Where do you ski?? My son snow boards and go every year to Lake Tahoe. He goes with about 20 snow boarders and skiers and I have not seen any helmets in his videos...

Bike
R1200rt
as far as helmets is the m/c community, there are all kinds of riders, dirt, street, touring, sport and all kinds of riding styles. I just ride to the bar or ones that like moto gp style of riding. Its a fashion statement to some and others its practicality. Some think they look cool with out a helmet and some think they cool with. Don't forget about the ones whose brains have not fully developed.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Unfortunately in some states, like FL, texting while driving is not a primary offense. You have to be doing something else wrong first & then if you're texting they can get you for that too. In FL they've been trying to make it a primary offense but the majority of our state representatives see it as overly intrusive.

I could go on a rant about all the things they do pass legislation on that truly are too intrusive...but that's not gonna do anyone any good. :banghead:

I've seen worse. Back in the early 1970's, when I moved to South Louisiana, drunk driving was so rampant that few citations were given for it. DUI/crash? Ticket for the physical offense only...failure to stop, speeding, passing on the shoulder...etc. Really exciting driving experience. Still one of the dui capitols of the US.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I really disagree with that statistic ...Where do you ski?? My son snow boards and go every year to Lake Tahoe. He goes with about 20 snow boarders and skiers and I have not seen any helmets in his videos...
In the last 20 years, since I started wearing a helmet, I have skied virtually all the big Colorado hills, most of the Tahoe area ones, all the Salt Lake City area, Montana, Idaho, Alaska, France, Italy, and the western Canadian hills. In that time, it has been my experience, that more and more helmets are worn up to the point where helmetless is such an exception that it is noticable. YMMV

Rod

Last edited:
Top Bottom