a clattering noise at tickover?

Bike
ST1100 1994
I seem to have a clattering noise at tickover. It goes when I am running, all I hear on the road is the whine from the OHC gears. Is this a clutch, belt or some other problem, or shall I ignore it? runs very smooth at speed, 53000 miles on the clock.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Maybe a loose exhaust manifold shield ?? If you don't hear it any other time, I wouldn't be too concerned.

OP
OP
goggleboy
Bike
ST1100 1994
yes, I wonder. I had a look behind the fairing , and didn't really notice, except it is a stainless exhaust, I will look again. I thought it might be clutch plates clacking about, as it vanishes when running. I mean, a big end wouldnt only get worse, surely? I had a short run today between rain , and at speed it is very good.

STOC #

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Is it a clatter or more like a lot of tapping?

I've run into a few engines where using oil that's too thin at ambient temperatures causes too much of it to run off of the valve train and you get some noise before a steady supply can be pumped it.

--Mark

OP
OP
goggleboy
Bike
ST1100 1994
Is it a clatter or more like a lot of tapping?

I've run into a few engines where using oil that's too thin at ambient temperatures causes too much of it to run off of the valve train and you get some noise before a steady supply can be pumped it.

--Mark
no, this clatter is only AFTER the engine has warmed up. I use Purple King 10/40.

Bike
ST1100, 1998 non abs
Hi Goggleboy

I too get the same type of noise on my bike, ive done 17k miles since I bought the bike in Oct 2014, 64k miles at present, its a kind of grumble at tickover that goes as soon as you open the throttle, im sure its clutch related but ive never investigated as if its never got any worse and I use the bike daily so I would notice any change.

Im planning on checking the clutch plates and basket when I do the belt later this year.

I wouldn't worry about it mate, as long as you service them the pans are a great reliable machine.

Cheers
Chris

Critters

Retired Black Rat
Bike
Red 2003 ST1300
STOC #
Maybe a loose exhaust manifold shield ?? If you don't hear it any other time, I wouldn't be too concerned.
The heat shields have a habit of rotting away around the fixing bolt and has been known to cause a rattle, if thats the case get a large washer and fix it that way, a spot weld would fix the washer to the heat shield to make it more permanent.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
What is "tickover"? Same as "idling"?

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I got my 1991 model, with just over 17000 miles, in late July and caught up on the maintenance items. New bike, I noticed things.
It idled at over 1500 rpm which is a bit high. Warmed the bike with a few laps around the block and adjusted the idle speed. In my attempt to obtain 1200 rpm, I screwed the idle adjust a bit too far down...close to 800 rpm. And....lots of clatter. Screwed the adjuster knob back, when it went over 1000 rpm, the clatter went away and was replaced by a belt whine, with nothing else alarming coming from the engine at idle.

OP
OP
goggleboy
Bike
ST1100 1994
I got my 1991 model, with just over 17000 miles, in late July and caught up on the maintenance items. New bike, I noticed things.
It idled at over 1500 rpm which is a bit high. Warmed the bike with a few laps around the block and adjusted the idle speed. In my attempt to obtain 1200 rpm, I screwed the idle adjust a bit too far down...close to 800 rpm. And....lots of clatter. Screwed the adjuster knob back, when it went over 1000 rpm, the clatter went away and was replaced by a belt whine, with nothing else alarming coming from the engine at idle.
I will try increasing the idle speed. It is strange to hear that clatter and thumping , when on the road, it makes only that whining .

I agree with ST1100Y. My mechanic warned me that allowing the bike to idle at too low a speed causes very low oil pressure, and ... you can work out the rest. He had set it at around 1000, I had dropped it to about 600 or so, and fortunately I had to take it back to him for something else. I had only had it that low briefly, and immediately put it back up to the 1000 mark. I didn't know that the recommendation was 1100. I believed it to be 1000 +/- 100. I guess that amounts to more or less the same thing. Whatever, drop the idle below 1000 at your peril, seems to be the case here. Happy riding!

OP
OP
goggleboy
Bike
ST1100 1994
I agree with ST1100Y. My mechanic warned me that allowing the bike to idle at too low a speed causes very low oil pressure, and ... you can work out the rest. He had set it at around 1000, I had dropped it to about 600 or so, and fortunately I had to take it back to him for something else. I had only had it that low briefly, and immediately put it back up to the 1000 mark. I didn't know that the recommendation was 1100. I believed it to be 1000 +/- 100. I guess that amounts to more or less the same thing. Whatever, drop the idle below 1000 at your peril, seems to be the case here. Happy riding!
in the Haynes manual the figure is 1000 for the UK and 1200 for the USA. Why I don't know.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
in the Haynes manual the figure is 1000 for the UK and 1200 for the USA. Why I don't know.
Probably emission regs...
Over here its ~1100rpm with headlights off, and not under 1000rpm with lights on (our lights are not hard-wired, we've actual options to choose and are in command there :wink: )

Critters

Retired Black Rat
Bike
Red 2003 ST1300
STOC #
Dont dismiss the heat shields. When the surronding metal has rotted away, and the bolt is only holding a circle of steel, the shield makes a noise like the engine is falling to bits. The same happens if one of the bolts comes loose.

You can get your hand up the front and feel for the lower part of the shield. Twang it - like you used to as a kid with a ruler on the edge of a desk. If it is loose, you will hear it. You can get at the top part with the side vent panels off.

The vibration, rattle only happens at certain engine speeds - what speed depends on how loose and where it is loose. The 'only does it when the engine is warm' symptom could simply be due to expansion and having more room to rattle.

There are 4 or 5 bolts on each side. Cant remember exactly now.
Exactly what I thought when this was first posted up.

Top Bottom