Okay....Who Did This?

STOC #
I am working on a 2001 ST1100 and have prepared to change the cam belt. I lined up the crank mark, both cam pulley marks, and the right cylinder bank cam marks okay.
When I checked the left cylinder bank cams, the marks are no where near where they should be. It's has been all over the East coast this way over the last several years so apparently it didn't cause any damage after someone else screwed it up. I tried rotating the crank again with the same results. Photos show everything lined up but the left cams.
Any suggestions?
UPDATE+After a reference from ST11100Y, I found the correct information. You need to pay attention when the service manual says "punch mark" instead of "index mark."
I can see the little punch marks line up where they are supposed to. Disregard any of my notations in the photos indicating there was a problem as there is not.

Cam markLtEx.jpg

CamPulleyRt.jpg

CamLine Up.jpg

CamMarksLtEx2.jpg

CamLeftInt.jpg

CamRightSide.jpg

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
uhboy... :roll:

I can only suggest to set all and everything back to the factory marks as posted in the OEM w/shop manual...

Had such a bike in the dealer w/shop once... (driving school trainer's bike... ah-ja...)
Scheduled for a MOT only... yeah-right... ran and idled like crap...
took my mech then about 5 hours to figure out and fix all issues...

Attachments

OP
OP
Mcreviver
STOC #
"Could someone have rotated the pulley only?? ToddC"
No, I just opened this machine up today and set the timing mark on the crank pulley, then checked where the other marks were and this is what I found.
It was ridden to my place and everything was fine.
But I did find the spark plugs were loose enough that I didn't need a ratchet and the carb insulator boots were not installed correctly either.
Must have been a rookie that worked on it last.

OP
OP
Mcreviver
STOC #
Wait a minute. The manual isn't clear that you have to line up the T4 mark to make the left side marks line up. They show a drawing with all the marks lined up on the T1 mark.
Thanks for that link ST1100Y

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Wait a minute. The manual isn't clear that you have to line up the T4 mark to make the left side marks line up. They show a drawing with all the marks lined up on the T1 mark.
Thanks for that link ST1100Y
So yours where fine after all?

OP
OP
Mcreviver
STOC #
Yes. In the factory service manual it says the "punch marks" line up on the left cylinder bank. Not the "Index marks." (They even underlined that in bold type) However, that fact is not clear in the illustration drawing as it looks like index marks on both sides.
If you had the left cams out and went by the illustration on the cam belt page to reinstall them, you would definitely have trouble...major trouble.
Hey, I had to get up bleary eyed at 6AM to take wifey to work since she is afraid of a little snow. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
All the photos I posted above indicate a correct installation so you might want to file that for further reference.
Now, should I go buy a Powerball ticket or keep the money in my pocket?

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
When installing the belt, if you don't follow the Honda manual's instructions, one of your pulleys can easily be a tooth off the proper index...two teeth off if the new belt is really snug. There's a video on this site that guides you through all the details. Read the manual, watch the video, do the job. If you follow up with a valve adjustment, also per the book, any problems in alignment will be obvious. I'm supposing that the previous belt installer did not check his work.

OP
OP
Mcreviver
STOC #
No, the set up was fine. But the manual could have a clearer drawing. I am going to put a note in my manual about the difference between an index mark and a punch mark. I did the belt on my own bike a couple years ago with no trouble at all. I didn't even realize there were punch marks on the cam until I zoomed the photos.

Bike
R1200rt
Just a word of caution someone rec set it to where they belong(factory) If you did that and cranked it over you might have bent the valves,. What you did is absolutely correct, line up the marks before removal , had an issue and investigated. knowing that it ran fine before means the marks were correct. the engine would not run correctly if the marks were off more than a couple of teeth. One tooth off and the engine would run with issues. with engine work it pays to be sure

OP
OP
Mcreviver
STOC #
Just a word of caution someone rec set it to where they belong(factory) If you did that and cranked it over you might have bent the valves,. What you did is absolutely correct, line up the marks before removal , had an issue and investigated. knowing that it ran fine before means the marks were correct. the engine would not run correctly if the marks were off more than a couple of teeth. One tooth off and the engine would run with issues. with engine work it pays to be sure
Yes, as a recently retired aircraft mechanic and inspector, caution is the byword.

Top Bottom