Grip covers

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
I used a little dawn dish soap, mixed with warm water. Spray inside and apply carefully when wet. Don't pull our twist too hard as they will tear.
Don't ask how I know.
Mike
++1 on a drop or 2 of dish soap mixed with water. use it to clean the grip and soak the grip on in warm solution. apply very wet. it will dry and stay put without adhesive.

OP
OP
Dragonslayer
Bike
2007 ST-1300
I bought the Grab on Grips, they were less money and offered different sizes (diameter and length) and had outstanding reviews.
I had a heck of a time installing them. I tried the screwdriver and didn't like the way it felt, like I was going to poke through or tare the grip. Tried several other things, all no workie. Then I put the grips in a pot of boiling water with Dawn dish soap as STrangr suggested here, thank you. I used one of my wife's new Calphalon pots which was not a big deal. When she saw my old used chip brush in the pot it became a big deal. I also used a pair of masking tape wrapped wide blade duck bill pliers to help protect from tearing the grips. This did help to pull them over the old grip as I pushed with the other hand.
_20160127_185807.jpg
I brushed the old grip with the soap & water and applied the grip covers soft and wet and warm which made the difference. Once applied I could not move at all. I did not want to use glue or hairspray because of the mess and it would have dried before I could have got them on. I fought for an hour before I tried this method that was previously posted by STrangr, again Thank you.
_20160127_185855 (1).jpg
Finished product, I like the extra diameter added to the grip as I have large hands and am used to fatter grips on my other bikes. More comfortable/softer too.
IMG_20160127_174953188.jpg
Tonight is my new 7 click titanium/blue adjustable levers.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Those larger grips work much better than the OEM factory ones.
+1

When she saw my old used chip brush in the pot it became a big deal.
:rofl1: I put mine (the 1.25in version) on a few days ago over the BMW grips which have a slight ridge over the outside edge.

First the bar ends came off. Then I ran the covers under some hot water and rubbed a couple of drops of some house brand hand soap inside the covers and on the edge of the factory grip. Working them over the lip I pushed the part of the cover on the grip then part of the cover over the lip. By alternating this way installation was 15min process including putting the bar ends back on.

Had there were any doubt they would stay in place later that would have ended when the Cramp Busters were put back on. With the Grab On Grip Covers installed it's nigh impossible to rotate the Busters out of the way. That's OK with me. I didn't have a chance to get some bicycle tape to build a slight palm swell but these are near perfect and that's close enough for Caltrans work. (Apologies to any Ct workers.)

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
I fought for an hour before I tried this method that was previously posted by STrangr, again Thank you.
I am glad to hear that my tip worked for you. I cannot take credit for the soap as i read that online somewhere, the rest is all you.
I too struggles for over an hour and ended up splitting one grip puppy before getting it right. Luckily the seller on Ebay I purchased it from sent me a free replacement.
I also added the adjustable levers (ones suggested on this forum) and I love it. Check the clutch on different settings, on the lower ones (closer to grip) it doesn't allow to start the bike in gear in case of a stall. I found out the hard way on a ride to Canada in June. Bike stalled with cars coming behind me and I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start. Gave me quite a scare.
I am in FL as well, south of you. If you ever want to get together for a ride give me a shout.

OP
OP
Dragonslayer
Bike
2007 ST-1300
STrangr, I wasn't sure if I would like them. I was transitioning from a handlebar stem mounted mirror, to the low awkward ST mirror (my opinion at first)
I have made the transition and like the mirror location on the ST now. I thought the LED would be a distraction to me while riding. Not at all, and I'm told by several they are quite noticeable from behind especially at low light/night riding conditions. With that being said, I believe they can add to our safety and over all visibility to make our intentions clear when signaling. Plus look cool.
PS...Is your Avatar pic at Lake Okeechobee?

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
I believe they can add to our safety and over all visibility to make our intentions clear when signaling. Plus look cool.
That is the primary reason I wanted them safety, secondary reason..Cool factor. But like I said, when it comes to drilling in to the mirror I am just not that confident in my skills. I have already had to replace one mirror and housing cover due to a tip over in W. Virginia on route to Niagara Falls in June. $350 not including the signal.

Is your Avatar pic at Lake Okeechobee?
That picture was actually taken on a day ride to Panama City. I don't recall the exact location but it was around panama on the pan handle. Scratch that, I had to look it up.
It was on the Big Bend Scenic Byway Coastal trail. We were returning from Panama and took the scenic route. We rode along I98 (ocean side, very nice) then in Apalachicola under tates hell crossed over to Eastpoint via big bend. This was somewhere in the middle of the crossing.
I attached a screenshot for you.
Screen Shot 2016-01-30 at 10.20.26 AM.jpg

OP
OP
Dragonslayer
Bike
2007 ST-1300
That is the primary reason I wanted them safety, secondary reason..Cool factor. But like I said, when it comes to drilling in to the mirror I am just not that confident in my skills. I have already had to replace one mirror and housing cover due to a tip over in W. Virginia on route to Niagara Falls in June. $350 not including the signal.

That picture was actually taken on a day ride to Panama City. I don't recall the exact location but it was around panama on the pan handle. Scratch that, I had to look it up.
It was on the Big Bend Scenic Byway Coastal trail. We were returning from Panama and took the scenic route. We rode along I98 (ocean side, very nice) then in Apalachicola under tates hell crossed over to Eastpoint via big bend. This was somewhere in the middle of the crossing.
I attached a screenshot for you.
Screen Shot 2016-01-30 at 10.20.26 AM.jpg
Ah, been through there many moons ago nice area to visit. Thanks for taking the time to post with the screenshot:yes:

STOC #
Grip Puppies on my PC800. On order for the ST1100.
Soapy water works and it was much easier to put on with the Bar End Weights still in place.
When I took one off, it was too hard to get the tube started on the bulging end of the factory grip, but with the Bar End in place, it acted like a ramp and made things much easier.
Water, soap, water, soap, water, soap. Dries nice and tight, no adhesive needed.
Used the hairspray trick decades ago on my dirt bikes, but that was putting new grips on bare metal bars.
Not the case with the puppies.

Just my $.02.

Jim

Bike
2005 st1300
I have grab-on foam grip "add ons". They are comfortable, but I feel like I have lost too much feel for the bike, if that makes sense. Also, they are thick and while I have very large hands, I still feel that these are too large. I should look into something else. Maybe Ill check some of the recommendations in this thread.

Edit... lol, just realized the thread was a year old.

Last edited:
Bike
2005 Concours
I've tried several different brands of grip covers, from expensive to cheap, and I still come back to the Grip Puppies. Easy to install using cheapest hair spray ya got. Just be sure to spray BOTH the factory grip and the inside of the Puppy. It should slide right on and dries nice and tight.

Top Bottom