How long should I wait to ride after the cataract surgery?

I had the cataract laser surgery last week from a nearby clinic named Evergreen eye centre and want to know how long should I wait to ride after the surgery? Doctor said that one week is plenty of time, but then I have also read that some take a month and most surgeons want to avoid sports like boxing, wrestling, riding etc. Hoping some real words hope from the riders on this board could be illuminating. Thank you in advance.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Either take your doc's advice or get a second opinion from another doc. My pov only, I cannot be too careful when it comes to my eyesight, so I would probably wait a bit longer. On second thought, how much riding are you going to do in Toronto in January?

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
When I had the traditional cataract surgery last year they had me put prescription drops in every day for a month after....so I didn't ride until that was over.....enjoy your ride, trust your doctor, he doesn't want any bad outcomes either........ff

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
If you trust your doctor to perform laser eye surgery why wouldn't you trust his opinion on riding?
Outstanding observation. The cornea heals at an almost miraculous rate. It starts to knit at about 20min after surgery. My guess is you don't want to rub your eyes at all during the healing process nor dry them out. Shock to the implant may be some consideration. Until your eye is healed you don't want dirt or grit to get into it (not that you want it at all) and maybe you don't want to do a lot of off-road/motocross.

If you're in doubt and don't want to pay for a second opinion wait another week. Then take short rides and see if you have any problems. Unless your doctor advises otherwise you might keep some eyedrops handy. Dryness can be a common side effect of eye surgery.

Does your doctor know you ride? That should figure somewhat into is recommendation. If he does I say saddle up. If you feel any discomfort head back to barn and call Doc Adams or have Chester fetch him.

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
The 1 week sounds ok to me (it's what your surgeon recommended).
Important to keep it clean.
Avoid any impact or increase pressure to the eyeball, which could happen during many activities.
Don't rub your affected eye, period!
You will probably go for FU visit with Dr office in 1 week, right? Ask again at that point about the activities you are allowed.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
When I had my eyes worked on I had guards that gave me "fly eyes". A fashionable aluminum patch/shield with a bunch of holes in it. It was only for a day or two and after than only at night for a week. Now days people tell me they were just told "don't rub your eyes".

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
Just be careful . I don't know how many time I got trash in my eyes with glasses on and a full shield down and behind a wind screen. It can happen.

Top Bottom