Brake Pad Wear

Hi
Fitted new front pads about 3000 miles ago. Front left inside pad is worn about 70% outside pad and right hand inside and outside pads about 20% worn.
I cleaned pistons and calliper so thoroughly and pads are located correctly so I guess the inside one is sticking but the slide pins are free and wheel spins freely. Front left is SMC calliper and inside is wheel side.
Only noticed because I removed callipers to have forks serviced.
Pads are Orem Honda. Don't mind buying another set but would like a few more miles from a set of pads.
Any ideas please? I did a search but most wear issues relate to rear pads only.
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I guess the inside one is sticking but the slide pins are free and wheel spins freely.
just a guess, but maybe its sticking intermittently and you just happened to spin it when it wasn't sticking. Try spinning it again a few more times at random intervals and see if it ever sticks.

Also, did you fit the pads yourself so you know that the pad wasn't worn at installation time? Not sure how that would happen if somebody else did the work, since the pads are purchased in pairs. Just trying to rule out that somebody pulled a fast one on you with replacement parts.

Bike
05 ST1300
Happened to me once where I had uneven pad wear similar to yours. In my case the calipers were sliding on the caliper pins ok but the pins that hold the pads, the ones that have the little hairpins in them, were sticking. When we removed them you could see the spots where the pads had dug into the pins. Replaced the pins, I think we put some type of lube on them. Solved the problem in my case. And I believe Honda recommends putting them in dry. But to my way of thinking, dry is what caused the hangup in the first place. Maybe some type of dry lubricant like graphite. Anything oily would be prone to attracting road grime.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I checked my official Honda SM on this point and was surprised to learn that Honda doesn't recommend any kind of lube on the caliper sliding pins or brake pad retaining pins. I don't remember for certain, but I believe that I have applied a very light coating of caliper grease on these items in the past when replacing pads. Honda may be exercising caution by not recommending lube on these components because of the potential hazard resulting if any lubricant finds its way to the brake pads, rotor or tire.

OP
OP
Thanks Guys
I will remove and examine the pad pins and get some new ones, I will have a think about using some caliper grease.
Pads were brand new and I fitted them so I think I will get some new pads and start afresh with the new pins
Thanks for your help

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I checked my official Honda SM on this point and was surprised to learn that Honda doesn't recommend any kind of lube on the caliper sliding pins or brake pad retaining pins. I don't remember for certain, but I believe that I have applied a very light coating of caliper grease on these items in the past when replacing pads. Honda may be exercising caution by not recommending lube on these components because of the potential hazard resulting if any lubricant finds its way to the brake pads, rotor or tire.
I thought the SM calls for greasing the caliper slide pins but pad retaining pins are dry. That's what I've done to just shy of 160k miles. I replaced the retaining pins around 100,000 miles.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I thought the SM calls for greasing the caliper slide pins but pad retaining pins are dry. That's what I've done to just shy of 160k miles. I replaced the retaining pins around 100,000 miles.
Makes perfect sense to me, I think a little bit of lubricant to reduce friction and help prevent corrosion is always good, just saying that the 2003 SM does not call for it.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Makes perfect sense to me, I think a little bit of lubricant to reduce friction and help prevent corrosion is always good, just saying that the 2003 SM does not call for it.
My 2003 service manual does indicate using silicone grease on the caliper slide pins. It is applied to the inside of the slide pin boot prior to assembly. Pages 17-35 and 17-40.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
In addition to making sure the slide pins are clean, (my shop manual does not call for any lubrication) the symptom you describe on the front calipers can also be caused by the pistons on one side of the caliper not moving as freely as the opposite side. I would pump the pistons out and using brake cleaner and a brush or string, thoroughly clean the pistons and the caliper area around the pistons so they all move freely. See page 17-14 in the Honda shop manual.

Garry

Top Bottom