ST 1300 in the rain?

Bike
2008 Goldwing GL1800
We in Vancouver, BC, are used to ride in the rain. My rain gears are permanently stored in the left side hard case. My riding glove and boots are water proof. I need them because the ST1300 handles so well in the rain, we just keep on riding rain or shine. I found the PR4GT tire matches up amazingly well for the ST in wet or dry condition.
In heavy rain, you can adjust the ST electric windshield to a height that directs the wind to blow clear your helmet visor. The fairing give you plenty of wind and moderate rain protection.

Bike
2004 st1300
its seems like its rained here in the UK for weeks and weeks , i had new tyres fitted the other week an did about 40 or so miles trying to scrub them in before the it started raining and boy did it rain , in a round trip i did about 260 miles, i was thinking i would have been better off in a submarine but the bike never missed a beat , sitting at 70 -80 mph on the motorways , my bike does not have ABS so cant help with that .

Bike
05 ST1300
I didn't read the whole thread but on the occasions that I've been caught in the rain the only areas that get hit by the rain are the elbows and the shoulders. Good rain gear takes care of that.

P.S. I ride darkside tires and even in the rain on really hard acceleration the back end stays planted.

Last edited:

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
Been up in WA often, I'd worry about the cagers up there more than your bike, of late been getting out in the rain we have down here and all the above are right the bike handles great - the idiots on the road don't. Space cushion and extra lights if you have them....bright riding gear and a thumb visor wiper - I practice cause I intend to retire up in WA and rain or shine, I am riding. Oh and ABS well that was a pleasant surprise one time - never rode a bike with it before - damn squirrel rest his soul got me braking to hard and a micro second of "o crap" went to "well I'll be danged". Be safe and fear the road, one day I may be the black st you saw going the other way!!! Best wishes

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Been up in WA often, I'd worry about the cagers up there. I practice cause I intend to retire up there. Be safe and fear the road, one day I may be the black st you saw going the other way!!! Best wishes
Wouldn't that make you WAdreamin ????????

ToddC

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
Wouldn't that make you WAdreamin ????????

ToddC
Well yes sir it would an on that day when it comes I expect my WA Ster's will indoctrinate me to the ways of those days to come! So looking forward to that, and thanks for posting this WAdreamin looks darn good for my new handle! John

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Well yes sir it would an on that day when it comes I expect my WA Ster's will indoctrinate me to the ways of those days to come! So looking forward to that, and thanks for posting this WAdreamin looks darn good for my new handle! John
:). Cool. WA awaits your arrival!

Bike
2000 ST1100
I got caught in a thunderstorm that laid a thick layer of ice on the highway on the divide riding into Rapid City, SD two years ago. No shoulders on the road and heavy traffic wouldn't back off. The hail hurt like hell on my knuckles, but the Pilot Road II's held the line. Poor traction conditions handling as good or better than any bike I have ridden. Suzuki's, Honda's, and BMW's.

Bike
2010 ST1300
So, I'm wondering if anyone can offer some input on how the bike does in the rain.*
Elsewhere on this site, (I really wish I could quickly find old posts that I have read....) is a link to a video of and expert doing figure 8's on a bike on soaking wet asphalt. He leans the bike almost all the way over - not quite dragging his knee, straightens up, and turns the other loop. Over and over again. The point was smooth handling with no sudden moves allows you to lean the bike way over in the wet. Obviously good tires are a prereq, and be careful when the rain first starts and mixes with the dirt and oil on the road to make a slippery slurry. I've read that MC tires retain 80% of dry grip on clean wet roads.

Top Bottom