Oil Jet/Orifice Removal --HELP!

Bike
2002 ST1100
STOC #
Finally had time to dig into my 2001 ST1100 to try to remedy the Oil light issue I had last year. I replaced the pressure switch which did not fix the issue so with the reasonable cost of a new oil pump I decided to remove and replace the pump as I figure I have a problem with the pressure relief valve on the pump.

After reading the repair manual and removing the clutch and oil pump the one item the manual talks about replacing is the o-ring on the Oil Jet which reside above the pipe that the oil filter threads on to. This is the little silver button you see above the oil filter pipe when you remove the filter. In the Honda repair manual it is referred to as (8) Oil Orifice on page 4-4 of the Lubrication System or the Oil Jet seen in Photo 127 on page 187 of the Clymer manual.

The question I have is how do you remove this jet to replace the o-ring, on my bike it is pushed in flat so there seems to be no way to grasp it, I ran a pick around the outside of it to see if there was a way to hook it but I can not find a way to get ahold of it. The jet is not made of steel so a magnet did not work so I have run out of ideas.

Most likely I could leave this and it would be no issue but since I am not 100 percent sure of what is causing my issue I am wanting to replace all of the replaceable parts to cover all my bases.

This is the last item I have to pull before starting reassembly so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

G Dennett
STOC906
1995 ST1100 - RIP
2001 ST1100

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Damn, that's a tricky one... ;-)
You're referring to loc 10, P/N 90802-MAJ-G20, ORIFICE 1.2 (and loc 13, P/N 90802-MAJ-G20, O-RING, 4.9X1.9)
http://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces-honda-detail-3929-13MAJX41-ST1100Y-2000-E__1500-PAN+EUROPEAN+ST+1100.html

According to the lubrication system diagram it diverts/controls the oil flow to the alternator drive/bearings, so not essentially connected to a low oil pressure symptom.

Removal? If not possible to drive it out with compressed air, I'm afraid one might have to drill it, use a tap to cut threads and insert a bolt as support for pulling it; which basically destroys named part, making replacement necessary... your call...

Are any other possible causes for the oil pressure issues eliminated?

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Could there be a short somewhere in the wiring to the oil pressure switch, causing the light to remain on?

Bike
R1200rt
oil pumps are pretty much bullet proof, should have taken the oil switch out and did a oil pressure test. Was the light on all the time or just at Idle??

OP
OP
kscyclist
Bike
2002 ST1100
STOC #
I had tested both the electrical system for the light and also I tested the pressure switch by purchasing a new one and installing which did not help. I starting the engine with the pressure switch out of the block and the pressure was not what I would have expected. The pressure light came on while I was riding, during my testing the light would stay on from idle up to around 3750 rpm then it would go out. The pump was pulling the oil out of the sight glass and some pressure was making it to the heads as I pulled the filler cap and oil was reaching the cams.

With this information and after eliminating the other possible issues (changing oil and filters, etc.) it came down to the possibility that I am having an issue with pressure relief valve attached to the oil pump but you can not purchase just the valve it comes with the pump assembly. So with the pump being $167 from Service Honda and a few hours of my labor it will hopefully fix the issue, the bike has given me a good 100,000 miles so it is at least worth giving it shot for less than $200, if it does not the issue is going to be larger than I can fix and it might be time to move on to another bike.

When I drained the oil it was clean with no metal and the pan was also clean with no filings so it looks like no damage to the engine it looks like the pressure was low but at least there was enough pressure to keep oil in all the right places.

OP
OP
kscyclist
Bike
2002 ST1100
STOC #
Thats what I thought, it does look like drilling and tapping is the only way to pull the Oil Jet. I also agree that this should not be an issue with the low pressure problem I am having since it only feeds oil to the alternator, my bike is a 2001 so it is only lubing the drive for the alternator not the full alternator like it did for the 28 amp versions.

Guess I am going to leave it in place at this point as looking at the lub system diagram it would not contribute to my issue.

Thanks for the feedback as it makes it easier to move on when you know others are seeing the same thing.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
hmm, just spit-balling, but what about unusual, low frequent engine noise/ponding?
I mean besides gunked pressure control valves or a worn oil pump impeller/case, mains/big end bearing issues would appear as usual suspects...

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
I had tested both the electrical system for the light and also I tested the pressure switch by purchasing a new one and installing which did not help. I starting the engine with the pressure switch out of the block and the pressure was not what I would have expected. The pressure light came on while I was riding, during my testing the light would stay on from idle up to around 3750 rpm then it would go out. The pump was pulling the oil out of the sight glass and some pressure was making it to the heads as I pulled the filler cap and oil was reaching the cams.

With this information and after eliminating the other possible issues (changing oil and filters, etc.) it came down to the possibility that I am having an issue with pressure relief valve attached to the oil pump but you can not purchase just the valve it comes with the pump assembly. So with the pump being $167 from Service Honda and a few hours of my labor it will hopefully fix the issue, the bike has given me a good 100,000 miles so it is at least worth giving it shot for less than $200, if it does not the issue is going to be larger than I can fix and it might be time to move on to another bike.

When I drained the oil it was clean with no metal and the pan was also clean with no filings so it looks like no damage to the engine it looks like the pressure was low but at least there was enough pressure to keep oil in all the right places.
So, U are saying U did try a Mechanical oil gauge? Harbor Freight has 1. Just buy a fitting? U did not mention the oil pick up screen? Put if u cleaned the pan U would have seen this.

Top Bottom