Buying a bike in Canada and bringing it back to the US?

Bike
2016 FJR1300ES
STOC #
Anyone ever buy a new bike in Canada and bring it back to the states? Or a used bike? With the current $.71 US to $1 CAN the prices look pretty attractive. Any way to get it across the border without paying CAN taxes? Fees??

Bike
2010 ST1300
Many years ago we bought a Hudson's Bay Blanket in Canada, paid the local taxes, and filled out a form that we mailed in or presented to the officials at the border (I forget the details). The taxes we paid were refunded since we were taking the blanket home and out of the country permantently within a short time after purchase. I assume something similar would go for motor vehicles - though you might be expected to pay import taxes/duties to the US and/or sales taxes when you register the bike.

OP
OP
adamk
Bike
2016 FJR1300ES
STOC #
Many years ago we bought a Hudson's Bay Blanket in Canada, paid the local taxes, and filled out a form that we mailed in or presented to the officials at the border (I forget the details). The taxes we paid were refunded since we were taking the blanket home and out of the country permantently within a short time after purchase. I assume something similar would go for motor vehicles - though you might be expected to pay import taxes/duties to the US and/or sales taxes when you register the bike.
I would certainly pay my local sales tax to license the bike, just like if you purchase in a different State. Just not sure about the Canadian taxes. One dealer I contacted said you pay the local tax if you ride it away and take your chances getting it back. He gave me the impression that if you truck it back to the States you can avoid Canadian sales tax altogether.

Bike
st1300 vfr800
There are lots of ways to do this but in my opinion hire a exporter in Canada to do all the paper work and have it done correctly , gives you peace of mind and allows customs to go rather smoothly . I have exported a few bikes namely older 2 strokers and some race bikes into the US and found this to be cheaper and more cost effective to do it this way .

OP
OP
adamk
Bike
2016 FJR1300ES
STOC #
There are lots of ways to do this but in my opinion hire a exporter in Canada to do all the paper work and have it done correctly , gives you peace of mind and allows customs to go rather smoothly .
Thanks for the advice. I'll check into it.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Any way to get it across the border without paying CAN taxes?
Neither the government of Canada (who apply a federal sales tax of about 5% to everything) or the various provincial governments (who all have their own sales tax schemes, Alberta excepted) are interested in collecting tax on an object that is sold for export. So, from a philosophical point of view, that's good news.

From a practical point of view, it is uncommon for single vehicles (individual vehicles) to be purchased in Canada and then immediately exported. Hence you might have to pay the taxes up front and then apply for a refund later, by proving that you have exported the vehicle.

In theory, the easiest way of doing things would be to buy the moto and have it shipped (by common carrier, for example a trucking line) out of Canada to some location in the USA. That would enable the vendor to sell the vehicle and not have to collect any tax up front because the vendor will have full documentation (namely, the shipping waybill) that the object sold has been shipped out of the country.

What you have not mentioned, but is, I think, of greater concern than the sales tax issue, is whether or not you would be allowed by the US Federal Government to import the 'foreign' vehicle. There are many possible barriers to this, including EPA regulations, FMVSS regulations, customs regulations, etc. Google the phrase "Importing a Car from Canada to the USA" to get an overview of the possible import headaches you might face.

Lastly, vehicle manufacturers absolutely hate any kind of arbitrage taking place on new vehicles, and they throw up every possible barrier they can to this transborder practice. You might find that Honda simply won't give you a letter saying that there are no recalls on the vehicle, or they simply won't give you a letter stating that the Canadian version of the bike is identical in every respect to the American version so far as emission control matters are concerned. Without such a letter, you might not be able to get past the EPA and FMVSS compliance requirements. The manufacturers will also impose severe sanctions on dealerships who knowingly sell new vehicles for export, and if you try to get co-operation from the selling dealer on the sales tax matter, then the dealer, obviously, will know that you intend to export the vehicle.

I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm just saying that you need to do your homework very carefully before you pull your wallet out of your pocket.

Michael

Last edited:

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
And then there's what happens when you try and register or insure it and the VIN isn't in anyone's computers as valid.

--Mark

I broke down in Canada a few years ago and Honda of America said you're not in the USA we can't give you any help. That was the end of the conversation. Honda of Canada was helpful but hinted that the warranty may not be recognized in Canada. I got the impression it was possible to use the warranty but involved extra work for the dealer. I ended up shipping the bike back, at my expense, to have it repaired on the warranty by a local dealer.

Someone mentioned the serial number. A Canadian dealer said the serial number of a US ST has a differant amount of letters/digits than a Canadian ST. This created a problem getting the computer to recognize the bike.

Just a couple more things to check out.

This isn't a new topic but I can't remember which way the bike was being imported.

Len

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
In the last 10 years I've imported several used vehicles, (2 cars, 1ATV, 2Bikes, 1 boat) from the US to Canada. There is a process that must be followed but it wasn't "rocket surgery". I can't imagine its much different going the other way.

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
There would be no provincial or federal sales tax on a private sale, only from a dealer. Check Kijiji.ca as a good source of private sales info. And no, I'm not selling. :)

Bike
2007 ST1300A
Yep, it is easy most people overstate the complexity.
Just make sure you check with your local DOT (or whatever it is called) and see what they need to register an out-of-state vehicle.
CBP has some great online resources, and if it is a new vehicle, I think you pay a 2.5% duty at the border.

OP
OP
adamk
Bike
2016 FJR1300ES
STOC #
I'm thinking about importing a new bike. The trick seems to be getting it without paying CAN tax at the dealer, or how to get the tax back from Canada. With the current exchange rate I could possibly save $4,500. Sounds like I might need a broker to ship it to the border to get out of paying the CAN tax.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I'm thinking about importing a new bike. The trick seems to be getting it without paying CAN tax at the dealer, or how to get the tax back from Canada. With the current exchange rate I could possibly save $4,500. Sounds like I might need a broker to ship it to the border to get out of paying the CAN tax.
A new 1300? :)

OP
OP
adamk
Bike
2016 FJR1300ES
STOC #
Nice! Hope it works out for you Adam.

Maybe just move to Canada. It might be easier :D
I have friends in Canada. I could have one of them buy it. Pay their tax. Pay my tax and still come out ahead after the $.71 US to $1 CAN. :)

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
I have friends in Canada. I could have one of them buy it. Pay their tax. Pay my tax and still come out ahead after the $.71 US to $1 CAN. :)
hmm ... that could work ... I bought my 2010 FJR from a US dealer. It had 107 miles on it. According to the dealer it had been sold and returned - traded for something else. Because of the sale it was legally a used bike so importing it was easy.

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
I broke down in Canada a few years ago and Honda of America said you're not in the USA we can't give you any help. That was the end of the conversation. Honda of Canada was helpful but hinted that the warranty may not be recognized in Canada. I got the impression it was possible to use the warranty but involved extra work for the dealer. I ended up shipping the bike back, at my expense, to have it repaired on the warranty by a local dealer.
Len
This is scary. I spend more time in the US on my bike than in Canada.

Bike
2007 ST1300A
Same with honda vehicles. I bought my minivan in WA state. No recognized warranty in Canada. Warranty was for Honda America.

Top Bottom