Buying a bike in Canada and bringing it back to the US?

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
For sure that's the case ... manufacturer warranties don't cross borders on pretty much anything you buy. You still have a warranty but its in the country of purchase.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
The trick seems to be getting it without paying CAN tax at the dealer, or how to get the tax back from Canada.
Don't be too worried about getting the tax back. In Canada, we have two different taxes: a federal tax, called the GST (Goods and Services Tax), and a provincial tax, which is simply a sales tax. In a few of the provinces, these two taxes are harmonized (administered as a single tax), which is referred to as the HST (Harmonized Sales Tax).

Either way, neither the federal government or the provincial governments are interested in collecting tax on objects that are immediately exported out of the country after purchase. To do so would create immense harm to industry in Canada, hence, there are well established practices for either not paying the tax in the first place if you are going to export something, or getting the tax back later after providing proof of immediate export.

The easiest way, by far, is to have the moto shipped out of the country by common carrier (in other words, by a trucking company). When this is done, the seller does not have to collect any taxes because they have the shipping waybill as proof that the vehicle left the country.

An alternative way is to buy the bike, get a temporary tag for it from the appropriate provincial licencing office, and ride it out of the country on the temporary tag. At the time you buy it, use a credit card to pay the taxes. Once you are out of the country, you send the vendor proof of export (that being the US importation documents and a copy of your new US registration), and the vendor can then process a refund of the taxes paid with the credit card.

There are all sorts of ways of legally doing it, they all hinge on being able to provide the seller with irrefutable proof that the vehicle was immediately exported from Canada.

Michael

Bike
Honda 2000 ST1100
Hi Karen.... I'm trying to import my 2000 ST1100... see my post from today.... re importing.... the short question I have for you is.... what did you do for the DOT compliance letter? Did you get it be from Either Honda Canada or Honda USA? Custom agent saw the EPA Sticker but wanted a letter for DOT compliance (incidentally I imported from canada a 2006 Suzuki VStrm and had letter from Suzuki clearing my bike for EPA and DOT... so I had no issue like this at the border....) but Honda Canada says they can't give me such a letter

nokesy

2007 ST1300A
Bike
2012 RSS Spyder
Anyone ever buy a new bike in Canada and bring it back to the states? Or a used bike? With the current $.71 US to $1 CAN the prices look pretty attractive. Any way to get it across the border without paying CAN taxes? Fees??
I just sold a bike to a fellow in the states, he went to the site for bringing bikes into the US (ST's are allowed) I provided him with the ownerships and receipt and he declared the bike and had no issue bringing the bike in. The whole transaction from sale to import was three days. or about an extra hour at the border. If you have all the paper work from both ends no issue. Nothing was required from the manufacturer.

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
Show me a good price for a new bike in Canada? Just because the US dollar is strong doesn't mean the economics work out. Typically the other country price is high enough to offset the dollar value so it breaks even in the end. Also who wants a speedo in KM??

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Show me a good price for a new bike in Canada? Just because the US dollar is strong doesn't mean the economics work out. Typically the other country price is high enough to offset the dollar value so it breaks even in the end. Also who wants a speedo in KM??
I paid 4000 for my 2005 ST. 31,000 miles. Mint condition, Hondaline topbox, bar risers.

I thought about importing from the US because there's a larger selection of STs. But the exchange rate didn't make it economical (though it was close).
Also who wants a speedo in mph??
My Tiger is a US import and the speedo is next to illegible on top of being in mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom