Breakdown!!!

Bike
ST1100, 1998 non abs
Hi Folks

Well I was out today at the local B&Q only about 5 miles from home, parked up and went about my business( picking wallpaper samples for the other half......yes I know..rock and roll!!!!.)

So back out to the bike key in and very slow crank then nothing, ignition lights on but no juice to start, bugger!, managed to bump start in 2nd gear on 2nd attempt, this is when I realised how bloody heavy a bike the ST is...........

Got home and left running I checked if the bike was charging which it was at 14.7v, put lights and grip heaters on and off to check for drop etc.., switched off checked battery it was at 12.6v so all seemed ok, im going to leave it overnight and check again, im confident its nothing on the bike itself and at worst it will be a replacement battery, probably go with a motobat yellow as an upgrade.

Im going to the 55th Dragon Rally 13/14 feb so want all systems to be ok.

Cheers
Chris

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Check what voltage your battery has when cranking the engine over, it should be above 10 volts or you need a new battery.

OP
OP
caddyman
Bike
ST1100, 1998 non abs
970mike
I will check on that tomorrow mate, thanks

fnmag
Thanks, looking forward to the rally 1st of the year and its a good un!

ST1100Y
LOL!!!

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Been using MotoBatts in all three of my ST1100s for right at three years. So far they have held up well and really spin the ST1100 motors!
I have one in my DR650 that is almost 6 years old and is not plugged into a battery tender. The battery just keeps cranking the bike over just like when it was new.

OP
OP
caddyman
Bike
ST1100, 1998 non abs
Not sure on age of the battery, ive owned the bike for 16 months now and never a problem, but I use it daily, the bike history suggests the bike did about 2k miles a year with the previous owner.

Terminals are greased to stop the "white fluff"

Checking it in a bit after my breakfast so I will be ok or 50 quid the poorer!!!

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
caddyman
Bike
ST1100, 1998 non abs
Well started the bike fine today, checked the voltage before I turned it over 12.7v so happy with that, started it and stopped it a few times while cold to see if it would drain the battery but all seemed fine, let it get up to temp then shut down, checked all connections and all was well.

So just have to keep an eye on it and see how it goes. At least the 50 quid stays in my pocket for a while as I shelled out on some new Halvarssons "Frej" leather trousers, ?219 but well worth it, quality made kit.

Cheers
Chris

OP
OP
caddyman
Bike
ST1100, 1998 non abs
Sorry Mike I didn't have a third hand to push the button mate, will have to do it when my missus can give me a hand, it was cranking with plenty of oomff though.

OP
OP
caddyman
Bike
ST1100, 1998 non abs
AHHHHHHH
Happened again today so ?40 later new battery fitted and on with the show........................:)

Dex

Bike
ST1300A
Do check the main fuse under the left-hand side cover. Clean and if necessary fit a bypass main fuse. This is one big trouble area for the ST1100 and is worth doing to head-off future electrical problems.

OP
OP
caddyman
Bike
ST1100, 1998 non abs
Dex

Had the main fuse cap off today just to check, all looked ok, greased up and back together.

Cheers
Chris

Top Bottom