Interesting video on Lean Angle

Bike
2010 ST1300
My kids were asking about lean angle when I first brought home the ST. I showed them this video.

OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Not a lot on the road when down at 64 degrees.
I would like to see something similar to all of the other degree angles they showed for contact patch area. It is pretty amazing how little rubber can be on the road and how they are able to stay in control.

This just really shows how amazing motorcycles really are. IT TAKES A LOT TO MAKE THEM FALL!!

Bike
2006 ST1300
Did that video inspire anyone else to create a lean angle sensor with telemetry and logging? Or just me? I was thinking a microcontroller and an IMU would be just the ticket. But a modern smartphone has all that's needed too!

I'm curious to know how far I am leaning. I am not an aggressive rider so I know it's fairly shallow, but it would be interesting to have the data.

Thanks for sharing. Now I have a project to think about!

OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Did that video inspire anyone else to create a lean angle sensor with telemetry and logging?
I have an app for my droid phone that is called Clinometer that measures level and inclination angle. All one would need is a way to properly mount the phone in a Zero position, meaning 0 degrees vertical. It shows the lean or inclination but does not record the data.

You should bring your project to the next step and also log you GPS location too.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
There are similar apps for iOS but I don't know of any that record. That would be great. You really don't want to be admiring your lean angle readout while negotiating a turn. A RAM mount for the phone could be zeroed in close enough.

Add a couple of cameras with a view of the road: one on a gimbal and one fixed mount. Then have a video of all three displays. Get real trick and rig the phone mount to add an extra 10? in lean on turns. You know for bench racing purposes.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I have an app for my droid phone that is called Clinometer that measures level and inclination angle. All one would need is a way to properly mount the phone in a Zero position, meaning 0 degrees vertical. It shows the lean or inclination but does not record the data.

You should bring your project to the next step and also log you GPS location too.
Not sure about the app you downloaded, but try a test of start/stop and see if it the change of velocity induces lean in the app. The only one I found that accounted for this in the accelerometer readings (I think) was the Pirelli one.

Top Bottom